Size of Nikon's "Senior Market"

rmprmp Posts: 586Member
I'm over 70 years old. Way back in my early years I wanted a Nikon and could not afford one. In my 50's I got my first Nikon. Today, I look forward to new Nikons like many kids look forward to birthday gifts. I want my new toys, and Nikon is letting me down. I was wondering how many of the NRF members fall into this market niche.
Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Where are you being letdown? Impatient for a D820?
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Yes. D810, new mirrorless, V4, I'm to the point I may start playing the GoPro competitors.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I'm not a senior but I was like that in 2010 until 2015 when I finished building my kit. I'm now re-building my lighting kit and probably need to sell some 2.8 lens but I'm very happy with what I have. I will patiently wait for samples of the Sigma Art 85 1.4 along with Nikon 105 1.4 to consider buying these.
    I tried the fuji x series several times but came back to nikon. The ai-s lens with the Df has helped my inner geek and know that I can buy an older lens to try something new with nikon.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited September 2016
    Not a senior yet, but I can understand rmp's lament. It just seems like several companies are coming out with such neat and innovative products and Nikon is holding back. From the new Canon 50mp 5DS, Hassys new X1D, Canon's EOS M5, Fuji's new XT-2, bla, bla ... I wouldn't be supprised if Sony soon announced a 52 MP A7r III soon.

I'm currently having shutter issues with my D800 and am seriously wondering if I need to consider the next in line ( D900) if they announced it. Orrrr, another brand.

On the other hand, here's something of concern. I live down here in South Florida which is full of retirees (65 + years of maturity with spare cash). I see primarily Canons. Make one wonder ....
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2016
    Not quite there I think .. but I am pushing into "senoir"ity :-)

The V4 is probably just as delayed as the DLs due to whatever the problem is with the processors.. Its likely the Guts of the V4 will have a lot of tech that was built for the DLs. So ... we will have to wait.

In the mean time I am playing with old glass I never got to buy but lusted over in the Film days... so darn cheap now :-)

Some of it not that useful but it was fun to get my hand on them ...

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Canon have the advantage because C comes before N in the alphabet so all listings show canon first and I am sure they spend more on advertising as its always canon in your face at the major retailors ...Yes I want my toys NOW ..quiet or silent would be best.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I'm a senior... My kit will never be finished; however, my needs are few. I believe in being patient, good things come to those that wait. I waited to the D2hs was out to start into digital. Then waited till the D3s came out. I drooled over the D800/E for a couple of years and bought the D810 when released. It's got to be right to beat the D810. I'm looking for a pro body with real built-in WIFI and access to a cellular network when WIFI is not available. The D3s and D810 has been a real great combo which cover a wide verity of subjects.

I seriously looked at the D500 but passed maybe a D500s will be the next body.

framer

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am in the over 70 group. My first Nikons were in 1967. My first digital was a D5100 and have moved to the D500 now. I tend to be a collector and not a trader. Not a big collection but what works for me. I think the next and likely last will be a high megapixel FX. For now I am recovering from the D500 purchase and checking out good glass.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2016
    I am in the senior class by any standards.....l would ask RMP who posts....going to start trying Go Pro competitors......we have I believe 16 Go Pros of at least the 3 technology, we are acquiring the 5s now...we are looking at Nikon 170s....and a few others in that Nikon offering looking at price point, etc.,

At this age the LAST thing I expect is for Nikon to make anything specifically for me or,in fact my group. although in some industries the seniors are the ones spending the money, not the juniors so,they are getting higher ended rifles......but in terms of cameras.....seniors although their purchases are greatly worthy of analysis for market evaluation, they show little of where a camera market is going. The D500 was according to me probably the MOST anticipated camera in history and it is amazing......but it is new entrants who define where a company like Nikon is going? The seniors purchases probably show best where the best new offerings were....but in terms of longevity.....and concomitant with reduced income? It is juniors that show the emerging trends, or very least at the median......middle age photo enthusiasts who are a good barometer of how Nikon is is faring.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    I had a card through the door advertising a local primary school ..showed half a dozen 5 year olds in the photo ...everyone had a canon DSLR......that's 6 lost to Nikon.
  • Eh? What was the question?
    If you want seniors you need to catch them young.....
  • GolemGolem Posts: 3Member
    I'm a senior for sure. Nikon is not keeping
    me on edge waiting for new toys. Anyone
    with several decades of life on the planet
    is not necessarily a senior. Seniors are not
    on edge waiting for toys. Seniors tend to
    have more patience, and less fascination
    with playthings, than with younger people.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    As far as tools go, Nikon's are pretty good. Nikon bodies and the wide assortment of F-mount lenses can accomplish a lot more than I need from them and seem to satisfy a lot of great photographers. Each successive generation of cameras makes another step toward perfection. I've been using the Nikon tool set since migrating from Minolta in the early '70s and have never regretted it.
    pictureted at flickr
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    "Seniors tend to have more patience, and less fascination with playthings"

Really? REALLY? This senior has very little patience because at my age I have less time than I have money to spend on my obsessions...which is why I own a dozen cameras now. I want to experience them all while I can, and I have an unlimited budget plus a very understanding wife who is okay if I indulge myself. Next year I'm likely to spend upwards of $15K on new camera gear, and if Nikon has something interesting to offer, I'll include it in my purchases. If not, Sony, Olympus, and either Fuji or Hassy will gladly take my money. When I move on to another camera, I donate my slightly used gear to the local high school's audio/visual program for the students to use. In the end it all goes to a good cause. None of the gear sits around unused for long in my home.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    DaveyJ said:

I am in the senior class by any standards.....l would ask RMP who posts....going to start trying Go Pro competitors......we have I believe 16 Go Pros of at least the 3 technology, we are acquiring the 5s now...we are looking at Nikon 170s....and a few others in that Nikon offering looking at price point, etc.,

At this age the LAST thing I expect is for Nikon to make anything specifically for me or,in fact my group. although in some industries the seniors are the ones spending the money, not the juniors so,they are getting higher ended rifles......but in terms of cameras.....seniors although their purchases are greatly worthy of analysis for market evaluation, they show little of where a camera market is going. The D500 was according to me probably the MOST anticipated camera in history and it is amazing......but it is new entrants who define where a company like Nikon is going? The seniors purchases probably show best where the best new offerings were....but in terms of longevity.....and concomitant with reduced income? It is juniors that show the emerging trends, or very least at the median......middle age photo enthusiasts who are a good barometer of how Nikon is is faring.

I think you could certainly argue these are the kinds of releases were Nikon is going to benefit most from putting them on at a big event like Photokina, media that might not normally give them attention will be more likely to be around.

The likes of the D500 for me is anything are best kept away from these events, they will get strong interest regardless and if anything this will be diluted by having a lot of rival products announced at the same time.

I look at the 5D mk4 as well and I think its not something Nikon needs to rush release competision for. Maybe the video side it has a significant edge but Nikon don't really have that market to protect, much better to make sure they put out the best D820(or whatever its called) a bit latter.

Thanks everyone, for your comments. I guess I will play with computer upgrades until Nikon provides some new toys.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Robert, I am a senior also. I noticed your signature line lists your current equipment. While it is certainly adequate you can make several upgrades. If you move from the D4 to the D5 you will obtain better autofocus. Study the reviews on line for the D5 and the D500. If you add a D500 you will multiply the focal length of all your lenses by 1.5. That seems to be a no-brainer additional toy for you to purchase now. If you move from all your zoom lenses to a good set of primes you will obtain better sharpness and better bokeh. Study he reviews on line for the Sigma Art lenses and check out DxOMark numerical ratings of primes compared to your zooms. You can also "upgrade" your skill and experience in different types of photography. For example, you can set up a home studio and learn all about monolights and light modifiers. You can expand into types of photography you do not currently do. Birds in flight and just birds in general are a huge challenge and you will need a new telephoto lens. You can learn how to do panorama photos. You can learn the brenizer method to achieve an f-stop lower than the lowest setting on your lens. You can learn long exposure nighttime photography. If you have the money you can hire models.

Robert, I am a senior also. I noticed your signature line lists your current equipment. While it is certainly adequate you can make several upgrades. If you move from the D4 to the D5 you will obtain better autofocus. Study the reviews on line for the D5 and the D500. If you add a D500 you will multiply the focal length of all your lenses by 1.5. That seems to be a no-brainer additional toy for you to purchase now. If you move from all your zoom lenses to a good set of primes you will obtain better sharpness and better bokeh. Study he reviews on line for the Sigma Art lenses and check out DxOMark numerical ratings of primes compared to your zooms. You can also "upgrade" your skill and experience in different types of photography. For example, you can set up a home studio and learn all about monolights and light modifiers. You can expand into types of photography you do not currently do. Birds in flight and just birds in general are a huge challenge and you will need a new telephoto lens. You can learn how to do panorama photos. You can learn the brenizer method to achieve an f-stop lower than the lowest setting on your lens. You can learn long exposure nighttime photography. If you have the money you can hire models.

Well said.
    Sorry, I have not updated my equipment line. I early ordered the D810 and the D500. I also acquired the Sigma Art 50mm lens. I am experimenting with different kinds of photography and playing with Photoshop and Lightroom. I play at travel photography on my fishing trips. Still, new toys are fun to up my interest.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    What type of fishing? If deep sea fishing you might find the DSLR cumbersome and may want to try finding a used Coolpix A. I have one and it is amazing because it is easily pocketable and has a DX sensor with a 28mm lens. Seems to me it is about perfect for use on a boat.
  • Seniors are wiley. We use our discounts at theaters and restaurants to save for Nikon gear. Especially bodies like the elusive D850 which I hope I'll be able to enjoy before my wife cashes out my insurance policies.
    I am playing "fly fishing" in the summer in places like Scotland and Canada. I also play deep sea fishing in the winter in Panama and Costa Rica. So my latest toy is the GoPro and a rig called a "troll pro." the "pros" are used for underwater and my Nikons are used for above water photos. I can go on only one trip in the summer and one in the winter so it is the time in between the trips that becomes "new toy" time.
    Where specifically in Canada do you fly fish RMP?
    Actually, I do not know -- yet. I have just started planning for 2017. I am looking at Kississing Lake Lodge in Manitoba. I am not a "real" fisherman: I do not care about gear, knots or fish finders and I do not want to own a boat. I want a guide to take me to the "right" spots, good lodging, and great meals. Yes, I know that makes me a wimp. But, I played US Marine when I was young, so I figure "why not". I can not afford to play with Ferraris, so cameras, fishing, and computers will do.