Nikon D750 has terrible audio while shooting video?

I've had my D750 for a year and a half now, I recently started taking a lot of video with it but the audio quality is terrible, it hisses and cracks and you can barely hear the actual audio I'm trying to record. Any suggestions on a fix??

Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    What are your audio settings? Is it set to "auto"? Have you considered an ME-1 or other shotgun mic?

If you are serious about sound, you will want at least an external mic like one above, a lavalier style for voice. If you are really serious about sound, you go to an external recorder and merge in post.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited September 2016
    I had the nikon mic above but got a minor improvement to the hissing

I got a RODE video pro instead and that has helped.

If you get further into video Look into something like the Tascam Digital audio recorder

With an adapter I use the Rode on phone when I do random videos on the phone.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • ptrmckyptrmcky Posts: 44Member
    I recommend using an external recorder like a Zoom or Tascam. The preamps in the cameras aren't great so even the best mic will produce a hiss.
  • Searick1Searick1 Posts: 5Member
    Ironheart said:

What are your audio settings? Is it set to "auto"? Have you considered an ME-1 or other shotgun mic?

If you are serious about sound, you will want at least an external mic like one above, a lavalier style for voice. If you are really serious about sound, you go to an external recorder and merge in post.

Thank you for the reply. I will invest in a mic but I was hoping to find an in camera fix, when I first got it it sounded fine, not sure how it became defective.

Thank you
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited September 2016
    @Searick1 What are your mic settings? Did they change?
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    I have them at default but I've tried changing them with no results, am I missing something somewhere?

Thank you
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Have you checked the input volume? If you use auto volume then each video will be slightly different, and hissing is more likely. The higher the gain (volume), the more hiss there will be.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM said:

Have you checked the input volume? If you use auto volume then each video will be slightly different, and hissing is more likely. The higher the gain (volume), the more hiss there will be.

I just checked all the settings again, nothing I do changes the horrible quality. Occasionally I have used it in light drizzle, do you think it's possible that moisture could have caused damage to the microphones? I can't think of anything else.

Thanks
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    edited September 2016
    @Searick1 On camera shotgun mics can only do so much. Typically the gain has to be high to hear conversation unless you are on top of the speaker. It's really only a run and gun fix. If you are serious about the audio then wireless lav mics are the way to go. Yes, expensive but the audio quality is superb. I run my wireless mics through a Tascam DR 60d recorder. The Tascam is connected to camera through mic input slot with camera gain set very low to eliminate the hum. I use gain from the Tascam preamp to adjust sound. A good set of headphones will help as you can hear the actual audio being recorded to the camera. Shotgun on camera will only get you so far.

Lowepro 200 Waist Pack
    Post edited by autofocus on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Searick1 said:

Occasionally I have used it in light drizzle, do you think it's possible that moisture could have caused damage to the microphones? I can't think of anything else.

Thanks

That is a possibility, I don't know if there is any weather sealing on the mic slots. It's likely that they do not, since they wouldn't work if sealed.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Do you have access to another D750 to see if its your camera that has an issue..?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    No DSLR has a good internal mic. Anyone who is serious about video will use an external mic or a couple, a shotgun on the camera for ambient sound and a Lav on anyone speaking.
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited October 2016
    I offer a free video of the wedding service and find that you need to keep the camera sensitivity low or it searches for sound and produces a hiss or clips...I feed from a radio mike which boosts the signal to the camera much as the Tascam mixer quoted above does.

PS just ordered the Tascam 60 d ..we will see ....
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on