Cell Phone Photography

We sometimes tangentially talk about it, but to my knowledge we haven't had a thread about the most prevalent camera out there- our cell phones.

The obvious choice that I feel most enthusiasts and photographers seem to use is an iPhone, but personally I prefer Android. For some really quirky people, they use Windows phones, which supposedly have the best camera on phones.

I thought I'd make an impromptu thread just to talk about what you guys chose for your mobile phones, and maybe share some of your photography taken on your phones too.

Also, for people who use Android phones, are there any suggestions on getting manual control? Lollipop supposedly allowed for manual control, but I really haven't heard of many apps that do that.

I'll go first.

This is my most popular phone taken with my 1st gen Moto G on Flickr.

More cool lighting.
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited October 2015
    I have been a phone guy since the t-mobile Sidekick days. I started with the the Original iPhone took a break and got the HTC one but went back to iphone. I do have the latest iPhone 6S plus and that has been my favorite so far. One of my favorite apps is Hipstamatic and I just downloaded one for video recording so that I can do Behind the scene footage as well as using it with my cam ranger equivalent TP link and getting rid of the ipad.

Here is one from a renovated Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds">
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2015
    Just curious- is anyone interested in the new Nexus 5X and 6P? Supposedly they've only got 12 mp sensors, but they're pretty good... according to DxO.

I'm getting a Nexus phone (for my next phone) just for guaranteed updates. I'm tired of manufacturers not standing by their products. My Moto G is 2 years out and Motorola already stopped giving updates to it.

What say you people?

Oh, and here's a shot I took about a month ago with my Moto G.

Good morning all!
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I have a HTC one M8 for my personal and Iphone 6 for work. The camera is terrible on the HTC, but the new A9 is supposed to be good. The iphone 6 takes pretty good pictures, but I don't use it for much except work stuff.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    edited October 2015
    Beautiful shots. It's easy to see why digital compact cameras are dying. These are better than the shots I could take with my old Canon S10, S100, S110's probably even better than my S80, which got a lot of mileage (remember when ISO 400 sucked?). Of course this is a Nikon forum, but it's becoming true even for me, half of my library contributions these days are from my iPhone.
    Post edited by KnockKnock on
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • vaibhav_aroraD40vaibhav_aroraD40 Posts: 26Member
    edited October 2015
    I use my lumia 830 quite a bit for street scenes now. I chose the phone for it has a dedicated camera shutter button - a dying feature among phones. Also, dont have to carry a camera during morning walks. Surprisingly, the birds were quite comfortable with it too (near home, in Jaipur, India). I added the black border in post.

Post edited by vaibhav_aroraD40 on
    Thanks for the comments guys!

@KnockKnock- Yes, for a lot of people, high end phones are "good enough" that low end cameras are having a lot of issues keeping up.

@vaibhav_aroraD40- Microsoft phones are supposed to have very good sensors, and it shows. It also helps that you're skilled. :D

Well I bit the bullet- I got a Nexus 5x this weekend. It's very back ordered, but you can get the 16 gig one for $300 or the 32 gig one for $380 at B and H with a $25 gift card.

Downstate.

Here's one I took a couple days ago. I had a few minutes off and I liked the pattern of the clouds.
  • hoodoohoodoo Posts: 22Member
    edited November 2015
    I've always used my trusty old D70 at work, not wanting to subject my good camera and glass to the conditions.
    Now I find my iPhone 4 to be handy.

5130 (2)
    Post edited by hoodoo on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Check PAD for my latest iPhone 6 Plus image.....I almost never use this....but was quite surprised as to the results.

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/4848/photo-a-day-december-2015#latest
    Msmoto, mod
    Nicely done guys!

You could repost it here if you wanted to... it would save us the click haha.

In other news, I ended up getting a Nexus 5x, 32 gig version in black. I look forward to higher quality snaps. They're on sale now for $380 with a $25 B and H gift card.
    edited December 2015
    If anyone wants to compare for funsies, I got my phone about a week ago, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Not many great shots, but I did do this one comparison shot between the Sony RX100 MkI and the Nexus 5x.

Camera Test #2

Camera Test #1

The answer is in the exif data, but it's still fun to see how far we've gone with camera phones. I did screw up the Sony RX100 shot, I'm not familiar with the camera yet and I shot it at 1/5th of a second, so there's some camera shake if you decide to pixel peep.

Plus, there's an app called Manual Camera for Android that supports most Android phones above Lollipop where you get manual control and RAW files. I didn't try RAW yet, but sounds useful.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    I took this photo yesterday with the Manual Camera app on a LG Nexus 5x.

Verrazano Bridge

I wish the Google camera app would give me a manual focus option, as it always defaults to focusing on the closest object. I really like the HDR output from the Google camera app.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You can't just touch the thing you want in focus? That's always worked for me...
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    You can't just touch the thing you want in focus? That's always worked for me...
    Just tested it on the nexus 6p. You touch what you want to focus on and then hit the shutter. Works well.
    Hmm, I think you can choose a focus point, but it tries to focus on the closest subject regardless. I'll try again at some other point I guess. The window screens really trick the camera when it comes to focusing.
  • mustangdarenmustangdaren Posts: 27Member
    edited February 2016
    Here is a photo taken with a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone.

photo MyNinja1000.jpg
    Post edited by mustangdaren on
  • No_OrchestraNo_Orchestra Posts: 13Member
    Most of these are shot with an iPhone 5s (a few cheater ones here and there using the D7100).

https://www.instagram.com/no_orchestra/
    Nicely done!

Cameras on phones have come a long, long way.

I've really enjoyed taking photos with my phone.

Moth (of some sort?)

Shot with Nexus 5x with Manual Camera app.
    Japanese honeysuckle.

Poking around in someone's garden...
    Just curious, has anyone every tried to shoot RAW on their cell phone? I'm trying to look for DNG support for a Nexus 5x and am not sure where to start.
  • In the future, all cameras will be Galaxy S7's. NASA will duct tape one on the back of Hubble and photograph the Universe when it was only one pixel in diameter... and then post it to Facebook!
    Hey did you hear about the incendiary grenade function of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7?

Just kidding, but on a more serious note, my Nexus 5x has a boot loop problem and I need to send it in.

Pretty bummed out that my primary camera now is out of comission... and I'm using a 4 year old LG Android phone on Gingerbread.
    I liked how this came out.

Mother and Son

LG MyTouch
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Re Note7 bomb.. I am sorry for samsung but I am happy as I will be getting one and the price has dropped quite a bit :-) .. although I am tempted by the dual camera apple phone.. I can think of several never before possible apps... But I dont know if I am motivated enough to develop them :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Ford GT40

Ford GT40

I'm a little disappointed in Google's Pixel phone announcement today, they start at $650. Sure it's probably improved, but I don't think it's twice the phone my Nexus 5x is in terms of value (even when you set aside the fact that my phone went in for servicing).