Recommendations for macro kit

Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
edited October 2016 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Cost Centre 1 wants her own kit for orthodontic photography - basically close ups of gums, braces etc.
Currently uses the firm's D3100 plus a 60 mm Micro Nikkor and a Sigma ring flash but would like her own gear.
She always uses Manual Focus so I think I shall donate her my MF 105 f2.8 and 55 Micro Nikkors as I don't use them much. I was thinking of recommending a D7200 and a ring flash like the Aputure Halo LED ring flash - of which I know nothing. The D7200 would give her metering on the AIS Micro Nikkors which would be easier than faffling with exposure on a D3300 or D3400. And no, she can't have my Df........
What does the panel think?
Post edited by Tradewind35 on

Comments

• niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    Nikon did produce medical lenses once upon a time - 120mm then 200mm focal length on FX/35mm with a built in ring flash - so the 105mm on DX is in between these two lengths and your idea of ring flash is in keeping.

On related note, has anyone heard anything on a new 200mm macro/micro lens?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    It is certainly due for an upgrade. I have the 200 f/4.0 D and it is fabulous.

I just occurred to me that the 200-400 focuses quite close. If they gave the upgrade to that a true macro reproduction ratio of 1:1, that would be quite fabulous.

Or a 400mm, say f/5.6, with a 2:1 reproduction ratio? Mmmm....
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2016
    ??? @WestEndFoto ??? photographing teeth with the 200-400mm ?

@Tradewind35 Looks like your choice is sound. Only thing I like to add is the LED ring flash is not really a flash but a ring light so You wont get the 1/10000 light burst that is usual for "flash" ie it wont freeze the photo. so you may have issues with subject movement with the lower shutter speeds (eg 1/100) with macro photos. if you can keep your shutter speeds high and have steady hands than you may be ok..

Another thing is that LED Ring light uses manual power output so you have use the cameras auto exposure to set exposure in ring light mode. It may be ok for your application, as "forensic" photography may need the consistent output.

Maybe a better option is to get a TTL ring flash like the YONGNUO Macro Flash YN-14EX. Its a bit more expensive but the output is dynamically controlled by the camera, and is a true flash. It also has led modeling LED that will help light up the subject when composing. If you need constant output you can set the output intensity manually as well...

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I have the 200 macro and it's a wonderful lens, but the working distance would be too long for dental work. Something in the range you mention is more workable (55-105mm). I'd also recommend upgrading to a better ring flash - either the Nissin or the Sigma. If you wanted to save money, get the D7100 rather than the D7200.
    pictureted at flickr
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited October 2016
    when in Australia the dentist had a camera like a pen and showed you the damage to your teeth before and after on his computer ..video /stills ..You did not say if these items are ready to be fitted or in someone's mouth .... a sterilized Nikon that's a thought...
    I usually photograph small UK spiders with my Tamron 150-600 from about 3 m..works great.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    Thanks all - manual power output on the cheaper Aputure ring light does not appeal so the Sigma, Nissin or the YN looks to be a better option. It is not intrusive macro - the 105 is probably chosen for the best stand off working distance. I hope her patients appreciate the investment in nice Nikon gear and that payback time comes swiftly for the parental money box........
    Heartyfisher, someone brought up the 200 which is obviously not for dental work.
    edited October 2016

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I might want a thousand mm macro lens if I was a dentist and had to deal with that. I wonder what the range on that tongue is?
    :) think I might be reaching for the remote controlled robotic drone drill and do the dentistry from the next room with those gnashers to work on......
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    These guys only do dental photography equipment. They are the "gold standard" in the industry:
    http://www.dinecorp.com/products-page/nikon-digital-slrs/nikon-d7200-kit/
    That's useful confirmation thanks Ironheart - I have gone for the D7200 and the Sigma ring light which should do the job with my 105 f 2.8 Nikkor. Have ordered a coupling ring to get the Sigma down to the older 52 mm diameter lens. Interestingly the practice also have an old unused Nikon SB 29 Macro ring flash -presumably from when they had a film camera. Unfortunately nothing in the Nikon line up suits nowadays for simple ring flash - the RC1 Speedlight Commander kit is huge money and unnecessarily complicated for this application.
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member

I might want a thousand mm macro lens if I was a dentist and had to deal with that. I wonder what the range on that tongue is?

I'll bet he could take a fly off his dinner plate from 3 feet away. ISO 12800 for as much shutter speed as you can get at f/2.8, pre-focussed on the fly. It would take several exposures to nab it, though. You'd want to shoot from the fly's perspective with that maw in the background.
    That visual woke me up!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If I only wanted manual focus, I'd use the old 60mm f2.8D Micro. I sold that for the G model which is not quite as sharp, but I get more keepers off it due to the better AF.
    Always learning.
    Yes, I am quite impressed on how sharp that 60 is.
    Verdict from daughter orthodontist on the new D7200, Sigma ring flash and my old mf Ais Nikkor Macro lenses - BRILLIANT!!!
    I had a good play with the D7200 - great camera and the DX crop allows use of the 55mm rather than the 105 for photos of teeth/gums - the 55 is handier - shorter and lighter. The twin SD cards are a real asset in this (professional) application) - difficult to get clients back if one SD card goes belly up!
    But..... must say that my Df is much nicer to use and she can't have it, no way........
    :)