D800 Viewing Picture Problem

blandbland Posts: 812Member
Anyone know why I can't view a pic I shot on my D800?
I have to turn the camera off and then on again before I can view the pic.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Just one pic, or is this happening with all pics? What exactly is the (bad) behavior?
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited October 2016
    when you have taken the picture the menu settings should let it appear instantly on the screen for the time you have set.
    If you want to chimp a series of pictures you would press the > button top left and then use the multi function thing to scroll through...

You seem to be saying that neither of these happens unless you turn the camera off and immediately try to view the picture ...??

Sounds like a menu issue to me
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Ironheart said:

Just one pic, or is this happening with all pics? What exactly is the (bad) behavior?

After I shoot a pic I'll click the view button to see it and there's nothing there.

Meaning what? It's blank? Black? The photo doesn't exist and you are looking at the previous photo? The camera explodes? We need details man :smile:
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    Explodes? We are talking Nikon, not Samsung.
    bland said:

Ironheart said:

After I shoot a pic I'll click the view button to see it and there's nothing there.

Screen is dark, it's like it found the pic but can't generate it.

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    If you press the Menu button does the menu show up?
    Have you tried shooting with live view to see if the photo that you just shot stays visible for a few moments?
    Have you made sure everything in your settings is normal?

???
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

Rx4Photo said:

If you press the Menu button does the menu show up?

Have you tried shooting with live view to see if the photo that you just shot stays visible for a few moments?

Have you made sure everything in your settings is normal?

???

Yep, I've tried everything but live view.
    It takes the picture and it shows up in the viewer once I reboot the camera.

What I'm thinking now its getting old and once I have shot 600 pics in a day it starts doing this because it's having a hard time processing it.

I tried out my new D810 today and I liked it so much I'm going to get another because I need two to shoot with. So I'm putting the D800 on the shelf.

Have you tried different memory cards? Is the green light on when it's in this state?
    Ironheart said:

Have you tried different memory cards? Is the green light on when it's in this state?

Put a new CF card in it.

only 600 in a day ..you are slipping ..I have no problems at 1500 and any processing is done in a few seconds after the shot is taken

only 600 in a day ..you are slipping ..I have no problems at 1500 and any processing is done in a few seconds after the shot is taken

Just curious what you shoot 1500 shots of in a day, with in camera editing?
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    Selfies with Nikon's new Portrait Pro firmware?
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    Bland, have you tried the two button reset to restore camera settings back to default settings? Just in case one of the settings is causing the problem.
    vtc2002 said:

Bland, have you tried the two button reset to restore camera settings back to default settings? Just in case one of the settings is causing the problem.

Thanks, hadn't thought about that ..... I'll give that a try!

The other trick is to pull the battery for 24 hours...
    Bland ..the implication was that it was the quantity of shots taken that was in some way locking up the camera ...by processing I mean the green light went out in in a few seconds and it was ready to shoot more
    edited November 2016

Post edited by bland on
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    @bland Curious have you shot the D800 tethered or using Live View? I have heard of other cameras that have had issues like this and they were related to tethering. I think they were able to resolve the issue by removing the lens, use the Mirror Up option, press the shutter button, make sure the mirror goes up, press the shutter release again and make sure the mirror comes back down. If you press the shutter button the first time and the mirror does not go up but you hear a shutter sound and the second time you press the shutter button the mirror goes up your problem should be resolved. The other thing would be to check your HDMI port to make sure that it is clean and there is no foreign object in it. Hope you can get this issue resolved soon.