Cell Phone Photography

Comments

• MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    edited October 2016
    No matter how good phone sensors may get, no matter what their lens capabilities may grow to, the one great feature of a real camera is... no one can call your camera and intrude on your day.
    Post edited by MegapixelSchnitzel on
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member

No matter how good phone sensors may get, no matter what their lens capabilities may grow to, the one great feature of a real camera is... no one can call your camera and intrude on your day.

Not yet, at least! :D ;)

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2016

Haha, that's true, but it got mighty close.

Remember the Nikon Coolpix 800c?

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-S800c.html

It ran Android Gingerbread.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    Not to bash cell phone photos - but I just have a mental reservation about them. Some of them are incredible. But I think most of us print... and I just cannot wrap my head around doing a serious print from an Apple, a Galaxy or whatever - in spite of Apple's famous billboards of "I-Phone photographs." Maybe I'm missing out on a great experience; maybe I'm being unfair to a great product. But I am not going to try and document my next visit to Canyon de Chelly on a telephone with a lens attached to it.
    There's certainly a time and a place for everything, but when my cell phone accompanies me more frequently than my DSLR, I enjoy the fact that my phone is a reliable way to get decent 12 mp photos.

It's no DSLR, but it's so darn close enough that it's not a big deal for me.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    You are not going to get 12mp photos from the cell phone. Oh sure, the file size will be 12 mp. But there is no way that those tiny little lenses are going to resolve 12 mp. My guess is that you get 3 mp of resolution and 9 mp of mush.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Some clever people I know got their ARPS using a phone which amazes me. They did do a lot of careful PP with the images that made up their panel though.
    Always learning.

You are not going to get 12mp photos from the cell phone. Oh sure, the file size will be 12 mp. But there is no way that those tiny little lenses are going to resolve 12 mp. My guess is that you get 3 mp of resolution and 9 mp of mush.

If it's the only camera I have on me, I'll take 3 mp of resolution.

Some clever people I know got their ARPS using a phone which amazes me. They did do a lot of careful PP with the images that made up their panel though.

What is ARPS? Is it some sort of high resolution photo when you combine a bunch of photos together?

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Absolutely NSXTTypeR. Even 1 mb.

Yes, what is ARPS?
    ??? The RPS is the Royal Photographic Society and the 'A' is for Associateship which is a very high level of achievement in photographic accreditations.
    Always learning.
    spraynpray, I thought you were based in the USA. Unless you have contacts in Great Britain, how would you know people on the Royal Photographic Society? You have some nice friends in high places!

You know, I'm still kind of surprised the sort of output I can get out of my phone. Granted, without dials it's tough to quickly get settings you want, but when I use the Manual Camera app I get control over ISO, WB, RAW, aperture and shutter speeds. I don't usually shoot RAW, so maybe I can still process some more noise out.

Subway

It's noisy, but fairly sharp.
    edited May 2017
    I took a lot more photos with my phone during this trip than any of my other trips.

HK Panorama PT 2

You can see the Bank of China Building way in the back on the left, and on a clear day you can see "The Peak" of HK a little more towards the center from the left.
    A couple of mobile phone snaps from Scotland:

2017-05-08 Fort William phone snap

2017-05-08 Harry Potter Viaduct phone snap
    Always learning.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Clearly, phone-camera shots are good enough for the web. What is the largest print you have made from a phone-camera shot?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    Blimey. I have to admit it has never occurred to me to do so Bob. I obviously need to rethink why I even take them. I guess I think of them as convenient snaps to show others quickly.
    Always learning.
    edited May 2017

Blimey. I have to admit it has never occurred to me to do so Bob. I obviously need to rethink why I even take them. I guess I think of them as convenient snaps to show others quickly.

I don't see what the problem is, I barely ever print anything from my DSLR. Doesn't change the fact I take digital photos.

Here's another submission.

Old Paired with New- Concrete Towers with Cellulose Trees
    edited July 2017
    Typical- no less than 2 weeks out from buying new Samsung Galaxy S8 phones for my parents, my Nexus 5x dies on me and boot loops, this time the 2nd time.

LG really has some reliability issues, but at least they're fixing it under an extended warranty I was not aware of.

Just wondering, did any members pick up new phones or are you still using your older ones?

Of those who picked up new phones, I wonder how many users in the forums are using Google Nexus/Pixel phones?
    I had a problem with My Sony Z5 Premium that the horrendous UK 'customer service' and approved repair centre turned into a nightmare. I was 2 months with a Nokiasaurus due to their inability to fix an overheating/fast discharge problem. They eventually replaced the phone but not before they had thoroughly pi$$ed me off. Great phone before that and after though.
    Always learning.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    edited July 2017
    I have a whole set that I have been working on using just my iPhone 6s. They print well.

Or The Other

My iPhone is my back up camera these days and my go to video camera.
    Post edited by Searcy on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    We returned 2 weeks ago from vacation and I took a shot on my cell phone and sent it to our adult children. Now after looking at my DSLR pictures I am kicking my self...why didn't I stand still and take the same shot on my camera. :'(

Here is the cell phone photo:
    Lighthouse-a
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    What phone Photobug?
    Always learning.

I had a problem with My Sony Z5 Premium that the horrendous UK 'customer service' and approved repair centre turned into a nightmare. I was 2 months with a Nokiasaurus due to their inability to fix an overheating/fast discharge problem. They eventually replaced the phone but not before they had thoroughly pi$$ed me off. Great phone before that and after though.

Yes, the phone I'm using in the interim is a 1st gen Moto G, which is serviceable as a smart phone, but much slower than I was using before, a Nexus 5x.

Supposedly my phone is coming back from the service center in Texas, although that will take 5 days.

What phone Photobug?

It's Motorola XT1254, or a Motorola Droid Turbo. Motorola isn't really known for their picture quality, so I can agree with that. Zoom in on any photos with my 1st gen Moto G and things smudge quite quickly.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

What phone Photobug?

A 2 year old Motorola Droid Turbo. Good phone with a good camera.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Luckily, I got my phone back repaired properly. No extra damage to the phone during repair fortunately.

I love Google's Nexus/Pixel phones, but if the next Pixel phone is made by LG, I'm going to be wary of it as LG clearly has reliability problems.
    Anyone getting the new iPhone X or iPhone 8?