do you think i should buy the nikon d610?

Hello friends

I want to move to a fx body camera, Nikon recently came out with new models for their base models cameras d3400 and d5600. do you think they are also upgrading the D610 in the near future, because it is a relatively old camera with a processor version 3 I think to wait for a new one even though it is a very good camera.

Would love your response
tnx :smile:
Tagged:

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Even the current D610 is good value. They will likely update it in the next six months. But expect a souped up D610 with Snapbridge and a 24 megapixel sensor, not a D750 or D800/810.

And there is a huge assumption that this is appropriate. However, if you are watching your pennies, must move to FX and are not shooting action, it is hard to fault a D610.

Note to mods:

People posing these questions may wonder why I, or any of us, are qualified to answer questions like these. This would be easier to address if signatures where we could list our gear were restored. For all the OP knows, I am a Nikon1 shooter. Nothing wrong with Nikon 1, but comments from a Nikon 1 shooter about FX deserve to be taken with a few grains of salt.
  • matanpollakmatanpollak Posts: 8Member
    The main reason I thinking to wait because i hope NIKON replace the EXPEED 3 processor to a EXPEED 4 and thus might be more ISO range and also they maychange to a better focus system
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If they upgrade then the price will certainly go up substantially . It has the U1 U2 controls which I like but it also has the low pass filter fitted which they say reduces sharpness by 20%.Personally I would go for the D810 even if you have to put a bit on a credit card or HP.
    I have had all iterations from D5o and currently have D3300 .7100.800.810 but west end photo is quite right and of course I could be making it all up and I am sure some do .
    They will likely do that and if better focus is important Matanpollok and the higher price is worth it, then wait.

What subjects do you shoot?
    Urban and nature photography

I understand that the D610 and D750 have the same sensor
    The question is whether you have seen a post about a new camera that is coming.
    i just dont want to buy the D610 and after a month, boom a new camera.
    Then I would wait. Personally, I predict a D620, D820 or both in the first quarter of next year. Assuming that you don't mind paying a premium for a new model.
    thank you, i think too, i can always buy the D610.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    my suggestion is a refurb or grey market 810. If you are shooting nature then the extra pixels will give the images a better wow factor over the 610/750.
    Just remember that it is a prediction. Others might disagree. Normally I would say buy what is available now so you can shoot now. I do believe these upgrades are right around the corner though.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I think there is some question as to whether they upgrade the D600 line at all, or focus efforts on D750. Aren't they really close in price? I'd advise anyone in your situation to grab a used or refurbed D610, and start shooting now. If an upgrade does happen you can always sell yours for not much less than you bought it for in the first place, and use the cash towards the new unit. You may only end up a few hundred dollars in the hole; consider that cheap rent. Glass is more important than a body anyways...
    There is much wisdom in Ironheart's comments.

If I start gazing dealer into the crystal ball, I see them keeping the D610 as the entry-level FX camera, focusing on cost reduction and getting budget conscious purchasers into FX, ultimately becoming the entry level DSLR.
    Well if you are shooting birds you don't want a D610 you want a 24 mp DX ..its all about pixels on image ....
    I think you have to have a really good lens with that strategy. Not every lens is sharp enough to exploit 24 megapixels on DX.
    I don't understand that comment West end ...I recently been using 4 lenses ..a tokina 400 f5.6..sigma 400 f5.6 sigma 300 f4 and a tam 150-600 G1 .That is the order of there sharpness and all are better on the D7100 than the D810 when photographing a bird and cropping in to get the same image ....???
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Most long primes are more than sharp enough to handle 24 DX/54 FX megapixels. Especially in the center, where lenses are typically sharpest.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited November 2016
    Hi! I am a bit late to this thread...

ok.. so you like Urban and Nature.. as some have mentioned those 2 kinds of photography dont "require" FX. Dx and M43 mirorless are just as valid choices.

No one seems to have asked what your current gear/setup is.. and why you think you need FX. so I would be interested to get that info. Recently I have been shooting "Urban" and "Nature" I have a D610 and a few DX cameras.. but I have been using my Nikon1 CX camera for Urban and Nature lately.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited November 2016
    Pistnbroke, you seem to be suggesting that these lenses are not that sharp (but despite that, are still better on the D7100). My friend has that Tokina and he tells me that it is pretty sharp.

I am sure, however, that there is a significant list of lenses that don't improve on the D7100. I am saying that the OP should be careful about that in terms of lens selection.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    Yes that's fine West end but its all relative ..my wife was very happy with her Tokina 400 used at f8 but the sigma version was quite a bit sharper (F8) while the old sigy 300f4 used at 5.6 or8 blows both of them away even cropping in that bit more.
    Its a bit like buying cars ..when you bought it its great ...after you sold its a different story ...
    I am impressed at how sharp my 400 5.6 AIS is on my D800. I might slap it on my wife's D5500 and see what I can get.
  • NIKONTNNIKONTN Posts: 80Member
    I have the D610 and have very pleased with it. I shoot mainly animals and landscape,I have 10k shots on it with no problems. Like some one else said buy it now and sell it when something else comes out. One other thing theres a learning curve when you go full frame, a lot different from the D300 for me. This deer was shot in the morning with a grey overcast sky and using a Tamrom 150-600mm lens at 500mm f6.3 and handheld.
    DSC_9235.jpg
    edited November 2016
    But if it was a bird you would be talking cropping just the end of its nose.
    But having said that if you are happy with the equipment you have for the job you do then that's what its all about .
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    :-) " cropping just the end of its nose." The "ear and horn" crop may be more interesting ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Thank you all for the discussion, I have a simple photo array, D3300 + 50mm f1.8.

I want to move to FX Body because I feel I lit the D3300 body. it is very simple camera in total. I want to move to images with better quality and do more things that I feel now I can not do. Spcial in low light.
    i am thinks to buy D610 + the tamron 70-200mm
    edited November 2016
    I have the D3300 and FX....what you are proposing are both 24 mp .the D3300 does not have the low pass and the D610 does. I don't think you will see any improvement in image quality ..only if your FX lens is better will the image be better and I do think its easier to get good FX lenses . Stick to Nikon Glass.I mix 24mp DX with 36MP FX for my customers and you cannot tell the difference ( on a monitor) As for low light its a fallacy ..if its light enough then a tiny bit of iso, slighty less shutter and opened up aperture and your at the same place...If its dark use the flash. No good going this f 1.8 route there is no depth of field....
    The only place FX scores for me is if shooting landscapes with a 14mm and the FX has more pixels than the DX
    .JMHO
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on