Not his photo !

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited July 2014 in General Discussions
Well this guy posts some wonderful wildlife photos on facebook and after a while it did not seem right as its from all over the world so I searched for some of the photos and indeed they were taken from all over the place but I could not easily find the photographers(owners) of these images. so it may have been him but it is more likely not. looked on face book and there is no way to report him unless you are the owner of the images.. so how do I find the owners?

Just irks me ....
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Unless the owners copyright information is still in the EXIF data there is no way to track them down.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    http://www.google.com/imghp

That is the google image search. Just drag and drop a photo from a site in a window into the search bar and it will pull like images. Many times you can track images down to the owner.

•Formerly TTJ•
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I tried www.tineye.com/ and it found many pictures of the same image.. but still no owner ..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

With so many photo FB groups who knows where most of them came from. That is just part of the this world now.

Never seen tineye - thanks for sharing!
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    But if you add a copyright sound track, to a YouTube slide show, it will deleted in seconds
  • http://www.google.com/imghp

That is the google image search. Just drag and drop a photo from a site in a window into the search bar and it will pull like images. Many times you can track images down to the owner.

Does not work for RAW files here.

Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
    so there is no solution .. people can just keep posting and taking credit for pictures that are not theirs ..

• FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    http://www.google.com/imghp

That is the google image search. Just drag and drop a photo from a site in a window into the search bar and it will pull like images.
    Does not work for RAW files here.
    Well, just convert it to a web-compatible format, like JPEG. It tracks images that are on the web, and since RAW file cannot be displayed on the web.... blabla, you know what I mean.
    edited August 2014
    Paraphrasing the evil Obadiah Stane:
    "You really think that just because you took the photograph, it belongs to you?"

http://ochre.is/tools/safeguarding-truth-in-photojournalism-ami-vitales-survival-guide/

“There is a broad mentality of entitlement on the Internet,” “If it’s there, then it’s free, and I can use whatever I want without permission, credit or compensation.”
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Nice post, HF. Fascinating story; and lots of useful links.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    so there is no solution .. people can just keep posting and taking credit for pictures that are not theirs ..
    That is correct. That is why many photogs used flash based websites as the files were embedded in the player and couldn't be downloaded. That is also why many post their samples in gif or low resolutions so one can tell the difference.

Copyright laws in different countries can help, but if something goes viral and not used for commercial uses, there is little you can do.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    Is there a way to confirm if an image is yours? Recently saw an image used in a promotional flyer by an institution which looks very much like a crop of one of my images on Flickr. Is there a way to digitally confirm this please?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    AFAIK it is difficult if you have not embedded a tracking device in your image before posting it. Have you taken a copy of the image and opened it as a layer in photoshop then overlaid it with your image on 50% opacity to compare? Only rough, but it will show you whether it is worth getting excited about.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Great tip spraynpray. Did not know that.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Paraphrasing the evil Obadiah Stane:
    "You really think that just because you took the photograph, it belongs to you?"

I certainly do. And this is one of the reasons I do not have a website or post my photographs of the past 45 years online.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    On a bit of a side note, do any of you guys have objections to people downloading photos they like for their own use? For instance maybe as a background on a phone or computer?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I tend to think in black and white to avoid setting precedents or blurring the line so the answer to that is yes. If someone wants a snap of mine, they have to ask me. If it is for their phone, they can have it small.
    Always learning.
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member

AFAIK it is difficult if you have not embedded a tracking device in your image before posting it. Have you taken a copy of the image and opened it as a layer in photoshop then overlaid it with your image on 50% opacity to compare? Only rough, but it will show you whether it is worth getting excited about.

Thanks spraynpray for this tip!
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    I run into this all the time on FB. Now that I have so many followers, people are often my eyes and message me when they see one of my images in a place it shouldn't be.. This just happened with one of my Osprey images again (it had already went viral last year on twitter)and had over 4k shares with my watermark cropped off. I had to join a few groups and found the original poster, sent a friend request and asked him politely to take down the image as it was mine. FB strips exif from images so that won't work. Unfortunately it is just part of the digital age and why watermarks are a must nowadays..
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Sadly I am not surprised Coastalconn. It's sad but it happens.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |