Nikon 100th Anniversary

I'm a Nikon user and FAN :-)
I'd like to know if NIKON is going to celebrate its epic 100th anniversary with a special model
Do you know if something is planned?

stay tuned here for Anniversary event: NIKON100.COM

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There is a special edition 100th anniversary follow-on to the Df rumored. I'm sure it will have a lens as well.
  • wberlin1wberlin1 Posts: 2Member
    I would love to see them remake the original Nikon 1 rangefinder for the anniversary as a full frame digital like the df, even though the 1 didn't use 35mm film. This would also be a great way for Nikon to seriously get into mirror less. Many mirror less cameras already have retro look, hwy not make Nikon first real attempt really retro.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I would like to see a DF2 that is just like the DF but with more resolution on the sensor, two cards and whatever focus system the D620 will have. If I otherwise want more performance, I will use a D820. I don't want mirrorless.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well if they cannot produce some new stuff in the 100th anniversary year they never will ...so lets just hope for some awesome bodies ...
  • PeachBlackPeachBlack Posts: 141Member
    I too would like to see and update to the DF. I'm afraid it won't happen because Nikon will probably take the wrong lessons from it. It was a flop because it was underpowered and overpriced, not because it wasn't cool. There are dozens of cool concept cars that have failed for exactly the same reason: the SSR, the Prowler, the Crossfire, Jaguar X, and the list goes on. Concepts are cool, but execution is just is critical. I would love to see an anniversary DF2 at a good price/performance ratio. I'd be all over that.
    As a Df owner, I hope they take the feedback, and produce a truly manual/retro camera, that has killer modern performance. We call that a "sleeper" in the auto world. 36mp, D5 AF, and 5-6fps, you can take my money, don't care what it costs. Keep the no-video, and nothin' fancy, just the ISO/Speed/Aperture controls where I can see 'em, get to 'em, and use it by feel in the dark.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I recently took out the Df and it was a conversation starter at a photo conference. I Handed out my card thanks to the Df. I did install the magnifier eye piece and focus split screen. While it did help it wasn't ground breaking for me because I never liked that type of focusing (manual). I would like for Nikon to make a killer upgraded Df.
    Maybe a 135mm 1.2. I'm not sure what would be a spectacular 100th item besides a range finder or mirrorless camera that is FX and can somehow use the existing glass and not loose auto focus.
    edited December 2016
    Ironheart said:

you can take my money, don't care what it costs...

I think too many people said this to Nikon the first time and they took the potential buyers at their words. If Nikon made a retro camera at the price of a non-retro camera, the way Fuji did, It would sell like hotcakes. Imagine how many DFs Nikon would've sold if they had priced it like a D610 (which it basically was). They'd have sold a zillion of them and it wouldn't have been bashed.

Seriously, I WANT a cool DF2 for the 100th Anniversary.
    Post edited by PeachBlack on
  • Having just bought a D810 (finally), I would, indeed, spend the money for a refined version of the Df. I think it would be a very useful camera for me assuming it will pack 24MP or better and have some snappy autofocus capability. I do love the looks of the rig.

Ironheart said:

you can take my money, don't care what it costs...

I think too many people said this to Nikon the first time and they took the potential buyers at their words. If Nikon made a retro camera at the price of a non-retro camera, the way Fuji did, It would sell like hotcakes. Imagine how many DFs Nikon would've sold if they had priced it like a D610 (which it basically was). They'd have sold a zillion of them and it wouldn't have been bashed.

Seriously, I WANT a cool DF2 for the 100th Anniversary.
    As a Nikon fan-boy I will be tattooing the logo of whatever the 100th Anniversary camera is, on a place where the sun doesn't shine. Given that, I will need to buy one, whatever it costs. Okay, I'd like it to be less than $3K.

FYI, this is a joke, I will be tattooing it where everyone can see it :wink:
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Probably a good chance for a new mirrorless FX body (DMxxx?) in 2017 and a 50mp FX body (either a D5x or a D810 replacement) and a "retro" designed 100th Anniversary edition body (the DF2?). But Nikon could combine two of these three by making the mirrorless body with retro dials. Sensors? Will there be any sensor improvement other than a possible 50mp sensor? Probably a slight improvement like about one third f stop.
    The new D760 rumour seems to be getting stronger ..but who wants 20 MP ? no use to me . Why all the extra expense and weight of FX just to get 20 MP.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Given how hard Nikon has been pushing the D810, D750, D7200, and 80-400 this holiday season I wouldn't been surprised to see replacements in the near future.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    The original D700 got the old D3 sensor, because that was the one available.
    Today, it would make more sense to skip the (probably expensive) 20 MP sensor, and use the standard 24 MP that would please most people. I'm sure the "2017 edition" will be exceptional. As long as it delivers 8-9 fps, the vast majority of buyers will be more than happy.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    I hear talk of 72 MP which would have more pixel density than DX so I would love that for birds.
    @Sports how is this different from a D750 with a 1.5 fps boost?
    Ironheart said:

@Sports how is this different from a D750 with a 1.5 fps boost?

I agree. That would be a waste of a 100th anniversary addition.

Personally, I would like to see a DF2 with two XQD cards, focus screens, a 72 megapixel sensor and whatever auto-focus they put in the D620. Keep the video out. Keep the dials - which are really the point of the DF. 3 or 4 fps is enough. Keep it nice and small - about the same size as the DF. If I want wicked autofocus, I will use whatever replaces the D810 (a D820 I presume but if they bring out a D5x with Nikon's highest resolution sensor, I will buy that). I ask for XQD cards to keep it compatible with what I buy to replace my D800 as my main body.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Ironheart, different body format. A D700 replacement would be using a body like the D810 and D500 with their more robust build and control layout.
    What would the D700 replacement have that the D810 doesn't have? FPS?
    This isn't a wish-list of products we'd like to see. Let us remember: for a 100th anniversary-labeled product it would have to have to meet certain criteria:

1. It would have to evoke history and nostalgia.
    2. It would have to grab attention and make a splash
    3. It would have to also look to the future in a revolutionary way

Any random camera or lens upgrade, while nice, wouldn't be given a special 100th anniversary label.

A capable mirrorless full-frame, or standard crop with retro styling would tick all the boxes, but I don't see it happening. A Dƒ2 would serve, but Nikon would have to deliver something special in order for people not to just yawn. I mean I've only ever seen one Dƒ in the wild and it's kind of a joke at this point.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Yes, if there was ever a time to go mirrorless this would seem to be the time.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    @Ironheart & @WestEndFoto - I guess my post was a response to Pistnbroke, who mentioned the D760 rumors, and both probably belonged in the old D700 thread. Sorry.
    "How is it different", you ask. Body, AF module, plus other features from D810 and D500. Point is, I don't think it's re-using the D5 sensor that makes a "real D700 successor". (But I'm not in the "waiting for the real D700 successor" crowd, so what do I know...)

Regarding the anniversary, I agree with PitchBlack's listing, except for the "revolutionary", which isn't really Nikon, is it?
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    To be fair, the D800 was probably the most revolution camera of the decade. It completely redefined the way we looked at the capabilities of a 36x24mm sensor. Remember the debates that would occur about the relative tradeoffs between noise, ISO, and megapixels? Yeah, those are pretty much gone. Also, it has marginalized the importance of medium format in many industries. Now it's pretty much a given that we expect high MP cameras with relatively low noise at high ISO ranges—and no, I don't want to hear about how you can have 43 quintillion ISO if you just had a 12mp sensor.

The next big step is the elimination of the mirror. It's going to happen. The benefits of an electronic shutter are tremendous and they don't have the mechanical predefined limits of a mirror system. It's going to happen. The Sony A7RII is already there for most types of photography, and the next generation will demonstrate that the lapping has begun.

So yeah, anniversary milestones are for appreciating the past and looking towards the future. A retro-styled, feature-rich, mirrorless camera seems perfect, but Nikon really does need to do something to show that it's still relevant and that it will survive the next 100 years.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2016
    "next 100 years" :-)

Cant even imagine what Nikon will be making then :-) come to think of it even 10 years and the cameras would be pretty much unrecognizable I think ...
    So much new tech and more in the pipeline !! eg ; Flat lenses, sensors with multicolour pixels, Black silicon, faster cpu (Imagine the fastest current desktop pc in the cameras LOL), multi lenses, drones.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.