Best flash for D5600: SB-700 vs SB-5000

webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
To finish off my set-up, I am trying to decide which flash to purchase: SB-700 vs SB-5000.

I feel the SB-700 would full fill my needs BUT I do like the wireless options of the SB-5000. I feel the SB-5000 would give me more options in the future, but is it worth it? I am also a bit unclear on what options the SB-5000 would give me over the SB-700 besides the wireless along with use cases.

To throw an additional item out there: R1C1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System Would this be more versatile buy? Could I purchase the SB-5000 and then use the SB-5000 to control R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System?

I am looking at using the flash for portraits and macros. Right now portraits have the priority.

Thanks.

Comments

• sportsport Posts: 120Member
    I would say SB-5000 will be more future proof. But you need to have a WR-R10 to use the radio wireless with the D5600.

The R1C1 uses infrared to work as wireless. The nice thing about the R1C1 is that it comes with a SU-800 commander which gives you a commander to use with other Nikon flashes.

Are you planning on using the speedlights off camera or on camera?

• webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    @sport I would like to use them to create some side lighting and back lighting. Also on camera as well. Looks like based on this PDF in the system compatibility section, there is no option to use WR-R10 for radio control on a D5500 (which I assume would be the same as the D5600). Based on this, I would probably be better purchasing the SB-700?

I am assuming the only true difference between the SB-5000 and SB-700 is the radio based wireless. Another point I am looking at is I can purchase two SB-700s for the price of one SB-5000 (well $60 difference). I think that would serve me much better than just a single SB-5000; thoughts?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Get a pair. Much more flexibility. SB-700. Love 'em :wink:
    When using them off the camera you will still need something to trigger them. A SB700 on the camera can work as a commander or you will need to look at something else. If you are looking to take advantage of Nikon's CLS for TTL, I recommend reading "The Nikon Creative Lighting System" by Mike Hagen. It is a bit dated now but gives good info on how all the Nikon parts work together.

I started out with two SB-600's working with a D5100. I found using a SU-800 worked the easiest for me. Once you figure out how to use it you can do some awesome setups. The only thing to be aware of, the infrared triggering can be tricky to use outdoors or if there are obects in the way.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Can you use the D5600's flash as a commander in CLS?
    No, there is no commander functionality in any of the d5x00 cameras. At least Nikon finally mentions that in the specs with the d5600. Unfortunately, Nikon seems to still be struggling with marketing CLS.
    That is to bad. CLS is a very under appreciated tool. I can trigger flashes around corners with it. If the SB-700 has CLS, buy two of those and use it one as a commander.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2017
    In my investigation for a "popup" alternative for the D500.. This Godox gadget seems a good choice.. It looks like it can act as a TTL "comander" for nikon flashes, and wireless trigger for other godox flashes.. it also has AF assist. In fact the whole Godox system looks like a nice kit. I have not tried any yet, so ... .. But some members here do use Godox.
    PS: and its cheap :-)
    http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Remote_Control_X1N_TTL_Wireless_Flash_Trigger.html
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

The Godox looks like a great option for wireless. Also look at Yongnuo, Phottix, Pocketwizard and Radiopopper.

My current setup for speedlights and strobes is Pocketwizard MiniTT1/FlexTT5's with a SU-800 for commander. I use this with both Nikon speedlights and Alienbees strobes. When using Nikon speedlights I use iTTL. With the Alienbees I usually work in manual mode with a Sekonic L-358. This works well for me as it is completely wireless (except for the alienbees power).

I guess the main point that I would make to anyone looking to jump into the CLS pool is to do as much research as you can up front. It's an awesome system but it can be really frustrating at the same time. Nikon doesn't seem to stick to an "across the board" standard with the CLS in regards to the commander. With radio wireless coming into play in the future it's only going to get worse. Please Nikon, if you are reading this, standardize a single commander in all the camera bodies and open the CLS to all users equally.
    I just use an SB-910 to command the other SB-910s. So regardless of what camera I put it on, it will always look the same. I have never used an in camera commander mode, so it never occurred to me that they might be different.
    edited January 2017
    The godox that I linked to seems to do the job of the SU 800 and adds wireless.. at 1/5 th the cost ... Looks good but has anyone had experience with it?

It also controls some of the High end studio and portable studio Godox Flashes.. as I said before, the Godox system looks nice....
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited January 2017
    sport said:

Please Nikon, if you are reading this, standardize a single commander in all the camera bodies and open the CLS to all users equally.

CLS would have been nice in the Nikon1 cameras ... probably too late now.. everything going wireless... maybe a bluetooth based flash system ? It'll be nice if your flashes don't get triggered by others. :-)

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I use a pair of SB700's for macro and on the brightest days I get communication errors due to the IR system. If you are really serious about macro, get the radio.
    Always learning.
    I ended up purchasing one SB-700. I may add another later.

@spraynpray Curious what your thoughts on the R1C1 are?
    The R1C1 is good, but I recycled two SB700's that I use for other purposes to do a similar thing.
    2015-10-23 13.21.39
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray Nice do it yourself set-up. What bracket are you using to do that?
    edited January 2017
    I use my L bracket like an accessory rail on a firearm to hang the strap and flashes to using articulated arms off ebay. Cheap, adjustable and rugged.

Here is a link to an image which is typical of my macro work:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/spraynpray/30706999175/sizes/o/
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.