SB-R200 on backorder?

webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
I just purchased the R1C1 and wanted to pick up another SB-R200 but they all seem to be on back order. Could this mean there is an update coming soon? I would hope not as I just got the R1C1 kit.

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I'm not sure, but of all the Nikon flashes, that is the oldest current flash, it's probably more than 5-6 years old.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    Based on Ken Rockwell, the Macro kit came out in 2005, so I would guess it is over 10 years old. I guess that was a bad investment if they release new ones. :/
    edited February 2017
    You shouldn't think of gear acquisition as investments. If it helps you get the shot you wanted to get then that should be considered a return on investment already. I got my D7000 right before the D7100 came out, and I paid about $1000 for it. Sure, in hindsight I probably overpaid, but I got shots I couldn't have gotten with a D40, so that would have been already worth it to me.

Make sure you share the macro shots with our forum!
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    That is a very good point. As long as it still gets the job done, just wish I could have gotten another flash for the kit instead of it being unavailable. Here are some of the photos I have gotten without the kit so far and just with the 85mm Macro. Feel free to let me know your thoughts...

Purple Bliss

Bill's Famous Cheesecake

I will get it!
    edited February 2017
    Nice, soft, even lighting! Looks like you got your money's worth!

By the way, seems like you're one of the few I've notice that purchased an 85mm macro on this forum.

Don't sweat the details, looks like you got what you wanted.

Also, I looked at your other photos, and you got some great shots with the 70-300 VR. I recently got that lens maybe 2 months ago and haven't really used it much. Looks like you got great results from that too.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited February 2017
    An alternative for you. This:
    Heath Fritillary

Is representative of images I shoot with this home grown kit:

2015-10-23 13.21.39

More good news is that you then have two SB700's for portraits etc. when not shooting macro.

However, sometimes you find that all the gear you need is your camera and lens;

Marbled White at sunset
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited February 2017
    @spraynpray Yeah, I remember seeing that dual SB700s, but I still would have had to purchase the commander as I have a D5600. Maybe I will step up to the D500 after I get a bit more experience with the D5600. Now I am looking to purchase another SB700 but I haven't been doing very many portraits....I just don't have people to shoot or the room to do studio work right now. I did pick up the following so when I get the opportunity I will have something:

Manfrotto Light Stand
    Manfrotto Snap Tilted with Shoe Mount
    Westcott Umbrella

@NSXTypeR Thanks, it is getting there. I purchased the 85mm Macro as part of the Macro & Portrait Lens Kit. For $529, figured it was a good deal for both the lenses. I have found myself using the AF-P 70-300mm a lot actually. Not bad for a $400 lens. Since then, I have been thinking about splurging a little and getting the AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR possibly with the teleconverter. I would hope that would round up my lens collection. I would have all the focal lengths covered.
    Post edited by webmastadj on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2017
    "I would have all the focal lengths covered." LOL! There is ALWAYS "another lense" !
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited February 2017

Is that frame custom? That is definitely a more cost effective way of getting the SB-R200 flash kit.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    NSXTypeR said:

Is that frame custom? That is definitely a more cost effective way of getting the SB-R200 flash kit.
    I built the lot for under £50 plus flashes (I already had one).
    Always learning.