Oil spots on my new Nikon D750 sensor. Anyone with the same problem?

danilogedaniloge Posts: 1Member
After 6 months and 10k shots, the sensor have more than 100 oil spots (I shot landscapes at f11 and they are very noticeable), mainly distributed along the right side of the sensor (when seeing a photo). I never changed my 28-300 and this is absolutely abnormal to me. I owned a Canon 60D for several years, more than 200k shots, normally changing lenses, and never have this level of dirtyness. Any other user of this camera with the same problem?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hi daniloge, welcome to NR.

The difficulty between correctly identifying oil spots as opposed to dust spots cannot be over emphasised. The fact that you are using a super zoom all the time makes me pretty sure that it is dust not oil as there are no problems with oil spray on this model, but these super zooms act like air pumps as you zoom causing air to get sucked in and dust gets blown around inside the body and onto the sensor. Send it off to your service centre for a clean under warranty and carry on enjoying a great camera is my advice.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    100% agree with spraynpray, however if you want to convince yourself it is dust, use the mirror-up maintenance mode, hold the camera pointing down, and use your rocket blower to see what dislodges. You can compare before and after photos @f11 of the sky. Almost guarantee that you will move most if not all of the specs around, and knock quite a few out. A proper cleaning is best done by Nikon or a reputable service center.

In the extremely unlikely event it is oil, none of them will budge, but even that is not a given, since dust can be electrostaticly welded to the sensor filter glass.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I have the 28-300..been on for 60 weddings on a D810 andseen no dust ...sensor cleaner is on at turn ON and shutdown...
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    I have not seen any oil problems with my D750. I've had dust on it but not anymore than other dslr cameras that I have owned in the past. 100 oil spots would indicate, to me, major issues with the camera.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @sport: - Or use of a giant air-pumping superzoom.
    Always learning.