D7500 backward step ?:

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited April 2017 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Seems a very strong rumor that we are to have a D7300..
I dont llike the 20MP sensor ..its not much lower but for birds its POI
Neutral on the fllippy screen ..got one on an oly and I dont use it
Like No pro controls (hooray) U1 U2 rules
Post edited by spraynpray on

Comments

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    It's pure guesswork, but I would be very surprised to see the D500 sensor re-used in the D7xxx. Personally, I would find an MP increase more likely, but my money would be on 24 MP afterall.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My ol' D7100 looks better every day :)
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well I did not buy a D7200 because I did not need the buffer and they did something strange with the iso gain, hate pro controls on D500 so about 6 weeks ago I bought another D7100 for £450 about $600 new but grey Lets hope sport is right but the info looks strong.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I traded in my D7200 for my new D500.... not that I am interested in a d7300.. but if it did have the D500 sensor .. it would be an upgrade. I am over the moon with the D500, not just the sensor of course..... speechless and deliriously... pleased.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Persuade me what makes you speachless ..the rubbish memory pro controls make me speachless ..I use my D810 and D800 in A mode auto iso and thats it as its too unreliable to use the memory banks.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    As I read the specs now, the 7300 may not be a step backward, but is at best a lateral move. I have no interest in snapbridge and I don't shoot video so I see no benefi to trading in my D7200. Nothing about the 7300 really appeals to me. The 4MP drop (if true) isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but I see nothing that offsets that. As to the D500 and "pro" controls - no thanks. My D7200 and its pedestrian U1 U2 work far too well for me.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    If I did not already have a D500 I may be looking closely. I moved up from a D5100 and love the pro controls. I was hoping for some trickle down from the D500 features and a 24 or more MP.

For now I will just wait and see what a D8?? may be.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

As I read the specs now, the 7300 may not be a step backward, but is at best a lateral move. I have no interest in snapbridge and I don't shoot video so I see no benefi to trading in my D7200. Nothing about the 7300 really appeals to me. The 4MP drop (if true) isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but I see nothing that offsets that. As to the D500 and "pro" controls - no thanks. My D7200 and its pedestrian U1 U2 work far too well for me.

Nikon really has not moved the bar much from the 7100. The 7200 update was underwhelming and the 7300 update really looks as more of the same. Nikon is running out of things they can do for a "7400" as virtually everything that could have been done will have been done in the 7300 release. My hunch is that the 7300 will be the last 7xxx series release for at least 3-4 years while they wait for the flagship products to be updated and then trickle down the technology or alternatively pivot to a mirrorless replacement.

7000-7100 they changed the sensor (MP upwards) and dramatically improved the AF with a new crop mode
    7100-7200 they basically added in connectivity and increased the buffer
    7200-7300 they will reduce sensor MP for a minor speed bump and 4K video, and add in a flippy touch screen.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    @manhattanboy I agree. Had I been using a D7100 I'd have stayed with it when the 7200 came along. As it turned out, the additional buffer capacity has come in handy more than a few times so I'm glad I waited to see what the 7200 looked like. But, you're right, since the D7000 the improvements to the series have been incremental and lately, the increments have been shrinking substantially. Once Nikon came out with the D7100 it seems diminishing returns are the rule.

If Nikon do mirrorless and get it right. I might be tempted, particular if they can bring the weight down substantially.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon would be better served by keeping the same model on the production line and have upgrades until the next real big hardware change comes down the pipe.

They could do big firmware updates every year, and charge $50. Give people new features, functions and other things that the current hardware is already more than capable of. If you don't want them, you keep the stock stuff and make do with minor bug patches, which would be available for the service life of the camera.

Along with that they could provide upgrades, newer CPU, bigger buffers or a shutter with higher endurance, quieter, faster etc. Price of these hardware upgrades could vary. Sure it would mean the camera would have to be made somewhat modular, but it would extend the life of perfectly good hardware that some people happily throw in the trash every 2 years.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    I think it will reuse the D500's 21MP sensor, mostly because 4k video. If they want to use the existing 24MP for 4k video, they may need to redesign it which will cost them more money.

Also they may already have a large quantity of 21MP sensor at hand/in order to get a volume discount, that's purely a guess on my part though.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Curious if the PD-AF will be able to do facial recognition like the D750, then if it can calibrate like the D500. It's significant, and a big deal to me if they finally move this model range to flippy screens too. Liking the rumors so far.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    I am with PB PM on the upgrades ..I would pay for silent shutter which is possible I am told with the current mechanical arrangement ..mirror up I guess.
    edited March 2017
    "speechless and deliriously... pleased. " ;-) so i have nothing to say ... for the moment ...

Actually my PC crashed a few days ago and typing on the phone is a pain... luckily all backed up and ready to go when I get my new setup..... unfortunately the setup I want is all sold out everywhere... The Ryzen(and motherboards) sure is hard to get a hold of....

But its true I am so so so trilled by the D500... and this is probably not the thread to get into it ..

PS: REMEMBER GUYS AND GIRLS !! BACK UP !!!!

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I doubt Nikon would go the upgrade route, a strictly financial decision. The D500 sensor would be good. The price tag would not make upgrading from a D7200 worth it at all. The 4K video might attract some, SnapBridge a total Nikon fantasy....

edited April 2017
    I was worried about Snapbridge .. reading all the negative comments .. but I am enjoying it thoroughly on my D500 and Samsung Note4 :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    Frankly what is the point?
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
    So it looks like
    D5 20mp
    D500 20mp
    DF2 20mp
    D7500 20mp
    D750 still 24 ..nikons best selling camera in japan
    D850 new sensor ??? Catch Canon
    D950 Mirrorless FX
    D610 who knows ..end of the line ?

Who knows but we are getting closer by the day !!!!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

My ol' D7100 looks better every day :)

Heck, I'm still pretty happy with my D7000!

To be fair, my D7000 has been more than enough camera for me as I barely crop heavily, nor do I print much to actually need the extra resolution. Plus, I'm not big on action photography, so the improved AF system in the D7100/D7200 really isn't particularly necessary for me. It's really a testament to how far DSLRs have gone, and DX bodies overall (other than the lack of a full kit of DX lenses). It wasn't that long ago I was shooting a D40 with 3 AF points.
    PB_PM said:

Nikon would be better served by keeping the same model on the production line and have upgrades until the next real big hardware change comes down the pipe.

They could do big firmware updates every year, and charge $50. Give people new features, functions and other things that the current hardware is already more than capable of. If you don't want them, you keep the stock stuff and make do with minor bug patches, which would be available for the service life of the camera.

Along with that they could provide upgrades, newer CPU, bigger buffers or a shutter with higher endurance, quieter, faster etc. Price of these hardware upgrades could vary. Sure it would mean the camera would have to be made somewhat modular, but it would extend the life of perfectly good hardware that some people happily throw in the trash every 2 years.

You bring up a good point, the D7000 was introduced not that long ago (ok fine, 7 years) and it's barely hanging in there in terms of lens compatibility. It's the oldest camera in the Nikon lineup still compatible with the E aperture lenses, and is barely compatible with the AF-P 70-300 lenses (VR doesn't turn off fully, from what I understand). Before the mythical D500, the D7200 was top of the DX line, and so it wasn't unreasonable to think the D7000 was fairly up there in terms of pecking order. It would have been nice for the firmware to be up to date enough so that I could have considered purchasing the new AF-P 70-300.

Even though it's bordering on 7 years old now, new firmware updates would have kept the D7000 up to date. Unfortunately, until Nikon makes a modular camera, that would probably unlikely.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    My wife who edits all the weddings says that the biggest rise in image quality was changing from tthe D 7000 to the D7100...for me the d7000 is a bin job.
    I took some excellent shots with my D7000 which printed to 16" x 16" beautifully but it was the BIG jump in noise performance that made me jump.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

My wife who edits all the weddings says that the biggest rise in image quality was changing from tthe D 7000 to the D7100...for me the d7000 is a bin job.

Maybe it wasn't up to snuff for you, but it seemed like the most awesome thing ever coming from a D40 to a D7000 to me.

We've gotten to the point of diminishing returns with cameras, and while that might not make for exciting features in cameras, that ends up making boring cameras. It's similar to cars. Any car will get you to your destination at some point, and it is not a major difference if you choose one brand over another.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    For me the D7200 was the real deal, though the D7100 was and still is awesome. The law of diminishing returns? Sure as hell it was NOT the D3400. After that Nikon seems to be in a fast...nosedive!
    edited April 2017
    Well does the D7500 image look like a D 7200 body to you ? Seems smaller and squarer with a bigger grain to the plastic exterior so could it be mirrorless ( at last )? or is it the camera angle /lighting
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Hard to say, could be a deeper grip a la D750 but it doesn't look mirrorless to me.
    Always learning.