D7500 backward step ?:

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    does not look mirrorless...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    but it does not look like the old case re cycled ?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Just weird lighting. I can make my D7200 look like that :smile:
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2017
    There hasn't been a major body change in the D7000 line, ever. The last big change in the advanced amateur space was the transition from the D90 --> D7000.

Doesn't look all that different to me other than he name plate. The popup flash could be a little more rounded than before, but that could be an optical illusion.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited April 2017
    Well we got the photos and what do we know .
    BAD strap fittings straigt ilnto the case implies no metal chassis
    Smaller top info window dont like that .
    Still got the screw focus drive and aperture finger
    This is not an encouraging start for the 100 aniverary ..basically just a cheap upgrade..or was that a downgrade ...
    Will stick with my new D7100...dont look like I am going to need a D810 upgrade any time soon..maybe replace my D800 with an 810.
    Flip screen /touchscreen dont use either on my Olympus

JUST FOUND OUT ITS ONLY GOT ONE SD SLOT SO THAT KILLED IT ..NO WAY DARE I USE IT
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited April 2017
    Yeah.. One slot... I just lost an SD card due to failure.. 2 weeks ago.... Glad I had Dual slots on my D7200 !!

Still other than that it seems like a VERY nice camera.. ! Still I am glad I have my D500 now :-) I have a whole bunch of old lenses ... ( Whats with the metering incompatibility of the D7500 and old lenses !! Similar to the D3xxx ? )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    What are they thinking.
    Always learning.
    This thread needs renaming ?

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    It's so arbitrary that they removed the card slot. I guess they had to differentiate it from the D500 somehow. It's nice to have twin slots, but I really didn't use them, so it's not terribly necessary for me. I can see why some people would be annoyed though. It still has the flash though, so that's a lot more important to me.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited April 2017
    One slot, no problem. My RAW files workflow at the moment, eyefi mobi pro (2nd card) direct to my phone and LR mobile, direct to LR cloud, direct to my computer and 2 automated backups (NAS). When I come home everything is ready. My telephone subscription is unlimited 4g data in Europe, no need for WiFi, quicker and safe.

Change for me is, snapbridge, rest remains the same for me. This D500 light has everything I want and maybe more.

Only problem, the mobile phone in my pocket is sometimes very hot :smile:
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Spray ..they are thinking buy a D500 if you want two slots ...or the D7200 which continues in production.....
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes @Pistnbroke I think you are so right. Maybe also a way to a price decrease, because the D500 is too expensive. A drive to get a bigger marketshare? Nah not with DSLR's, or?
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    @Ton14 Sounds like a good scheme you have there ...

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    One slot rules out professional use so for me, forget it. Once I give up professional work (this July when the order book stops), it's not such a bad cost reduction I suppose.
    Always learning.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    It looks like a nice camera time will tell if there are any problems. It is about what I expected but as D500 owner I think I would rather have a D7200 with the D500 body and processor up grade.

I am hoping for a FX up grade ( in a year or two ) but now wonder if it would be wise to find a D7200 after a good price drop for a DX kit and move to FX even later after they do another round of upgrades. I would keep a D5100 for the grandkids with smaller hands to learn with. They seem to like the small size.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    edited April 2017
    The D7500 uses a new EN-EL 15a battery. It is listed as compatible with the D7500 alone. The EN-EL 15 battery is listed as compatible with the D7500 and a host of others. They use the same charger. Any guess if the EN-EL15a battery is backward compatible with other cameras?

For those with other camera's it could mean less hassle changing batteries. If the EN-EL 15a out performs the EN-EL 15 then why not move to it as the old batteries die.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    The D7500 looks like a competent camera and a decent choice at a reasonable price point for someone who doesn't already own a D7200 or D500 (perhaps a D3xxx or D5xxx owner who wants to upgrade), but, depending on what Nikon's competitors do, I don't see its release having that much impact on Nikon's market share one way or the other. But, from a strategic point of view, Nikon has made a mistake because it leaves the company's future well-being in the control of its competitors, depending on what products they have in the pipeline and plan to release in the upcoming months. No company should leave itself in such a weak position; it should always be in control of its own future.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Biggest weakness in my opinion is the one SD card slot. Most people who shoot professionally will insist on two card slots just as insurance. BUT, those working professionally today and looking for a new camera likely would buy a D500 anyway if they wanted to use DX or a D750 if they wanted to use FX in the $2,000 price point area. (I know at other price points or buying used there would be other likely choices but I am limiting my comments to someone who intends to buy new.) Eliminating that second SD card slot seems like a foolish move to me because I don't see how it could save Nikon more than $15 or $20 for a second slot. It seem that Nikon is intentionally taking the D7500 away from the working professional photographer because they want to force that person to purchase a more expensive body.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I was on the fence about a D500 or a D7200, and decided I could live without the focus speed and frame rate of the D500 for a little longer. The D7200 arrived today, and I guess I'm fine with it's feature set wrt the D7500, though the new cam sounds like it has some nice features. Prefer the two card slots, but could probably work around it if necessary.

Now I need a LR upgrade.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    retread said:

The D7500 uses a new EN-EL 15a battery. It is listed as compatible with the D7500 alone. The EN-EL 15 battery is listed as compatible with the D7500 and a host of others. They use the same charger. Any guess if the EN-EL15a battery is backward compatible with other cameras?

For those with other camera's it could mean less hassle changing batteries. If the EN-EL 15a out performs the EN-EL 15 then why not move to it as the old batteries die.

The EL-15a is the replacement of all EL-15 batteries, and has been on sale for quite some time. My understanding is that something has changed with the internal coding of the battery, but most everything else is the same.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    One SD-Card slot? Really?! This isn't D3XXX or D5XXX. D7XXX is a Prosumer line What were they smoking at Nikon HQ?
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • decentristdecentrist Posts: 33Member
    nukuEX2 said:

One SD-Card slot? Really?! This isn't D3XXX or D5XXX. D7XXX is a Prosumer line What were they smoking at Nikon HQ?

They are telling us that gig is over..

a sad end to a proud line... the a7xxx series... they almost became the pro dx range....

the new d7500 seems more like an advanced d5xxx .... ie a bit below what a top d7xxx should have been... I wonder what will happen to the d5xxx now... or the d3xxx?

• BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    Gradually, without us even noticing it, Nikon turned itself into the 21st C version of the old General Motors. Long ago, prior to the 1980s, the GM product line included both the Oldsmobile and Buick brands, which in many respects were very similar automobiles. In fact, hardly distinguishable, except in marketing ploys. Consumers were confused. They couldn't comprehend why GM produced two such very similar cars. Now, with the release of the D7500, Nikon presents consumers with the challenge of trying to understand where this camera fits in the overall Nikon product line. Is the D7500 the Oldsmobile to the D500 Buick? Or is it the other way around, the D7500 Buick to the D500 Oldsmobile? Beats me. I'm not in the market for a replacement to my D7200, although I will consider buying a new successor to the D810 if it is ever released this year. Instead, I will "drive" my D7200 for a lot more miles before I trade it in on a new Buick or new Oldsmobile. The ash trays of my D7200 haven't even been used yet....
  • IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    edited April 2017
    A single card slot, no AI feeler, no possibility for a battery grip (no contacts) etc. all points to a strictly amateur market, IMHO. I have nothing against cameras aimed at this market, we all have to start somewhere, but at this price I would have expected more. Visibly the D7*** series is breathing it's last breaths, which is sad for a 'top of the line' prosumer model.

This probably indicates a subtle (or not so) change in direction at Nikon, with the D3*** and D5*** getting more capabilities, to the detriment of the D7*** series.

Personally I would have faded out the D5** series... Maybe Nikon are trying to create a larger 'difference' between the amateur and pro market models? Let's face it, with 15 DSLR models available there's already too much to choose from, so a little thining down is certainly necessary - but just not from this series, again IMHO.
    Post edited by IanG on
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)