Tamron 70-200 G2 vs Nikkor 70-200 VR 3

webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
Well I am looking to get my next lens and I have decided it will be a 70-200 f/2.8. BUT, which one do I get? Personally, based on the reviews I have been seeing I want the Nikkor 70-200 but that $2,800 price tag is a bit hard to swallow. The price of the Tamron 70-200 G2 is very attractive.

So based on what everyone has read and opinions on the two, which one would you buy if you did not yet own a 70-200? Do you think the $2,800 price tag is worth it? Do you see the Tamron as the best bang for your buck considering you could buy two of them for the price of the nikkor? Which is the better lens regardless of price?

I am interested in knowing everyone's opinions!

Thanks.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Rodger thinks its a good lens from an MTF perspective, not quite on par with the 70-200 f/2.8E...

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/04/mtf-lens-tests-of-the-new-tamron-70-200-f2-8-sp-di-vc-usd-g2/

We will need a few reviews to find out about handling, AF performance, CA, etc... those things can make or break a lens for some :wink:
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2017
    The Nikkor is the lense to get if its is going to be your primary lense. If you are only going to mount the lense on the camera for say 1-2 % of the time.. maybe get the old Tamron. higher percentage? goes up the price range..

So the question is what are you going to use it for? do you think you will be using it often? What camera are you expecting to use it on? and for what purpose.. so excatly what are your requirements? Covering that range there are a dozen or two lenses...

PS: I have 4-6 lenses that "cover" that range.. (gave one away, may be replacing it...) Thinking of getting another... Yes, my fav focal length is in that range.. sigh .. but I dont have a 70-200 F2.8 and will probably not get one.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    edited April 2017
    I just got the Tamron 70-200 G2 yesterday and so far I really like it. For the price it would be really hard to beat. If you need the extra 2%, by all means get the Nikon. It was pretty dark when I found my Hawk last night.
    https://flic.kr/p/SwNRke
    https://flic.kr/p/SwNRke

If you are concerned about focus breathing at 200, get the Nikon. Doesn't impact me at all..
    Post edited by Coastalconn on
    ?? so you got that close to a feeding Hawk thing ! ?? sigh .... I may have to reconsider getting a 70-200 F2.8 ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    @Coastalconn You have some great shots. I am also impressed you were able to get that close to a hawk feeding. I have tried a few times and each time they take off. One of the reasons why I picked up the 200-500 f/5.6.
    This is the Hawk I've been photographing for 2 years.. He made a Cameo in the Tamron video. He is completely wild and never baited. I think he considers me family.. Here are all the images of him this fall/winter.. https://flic.kr/s/aHskHptM8j
    I got a D4 over the winter to use with my 300 F2.8 but there were still times he was too close...

I haven't done a formal fine tune yet.. Just eye balled it at +10 in the field, so I may be able to squeeze a little more sharpness out of it..
    He has grown up nicely !! What type of hawk is it? I may be looking out for a good deal on the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 G2 ! Looks like my small family of Tamron lenses may be growing by one more in the future..

He is an adult Red Tail and quite handsome I might add :)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2017
    Fat photographer loves the tamron ..see his review...
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on

He is an adult Red Tail and quite handsome I might add :)

Just read up on it.. Looks like he could be your model for the the next 20 years !! I look forward to seeing more of him the the years to come !!

edited May 2017
    Just an update. I ended up getting the Nikkor and my girlfriend purchased the Tamron. I am very happy with the Nikkor. A few things made my decision towards the Nikkor.

1. The zoom ring on the Nikkor is much easier to turn. I can zoom in and out with the tip of my finger. The Tamron is more stiff and requires two fingers.

2. Might be something minor for some, but I liked the Lens hood locking mechanism. There is a separate button that locks the lens hood in place.

3. The lens control buttons (i.e. focus modes, VR modes) on the Tamron will switch on/off. I have a black rapid and as it rubs against my leg, the Tamron lens would switch from automatic focus to manual focus. This can be very frustrating when trying to quickly capture a moment.

4. Distance from the Tripod mount and the lens larger on the Nikkor. The tripod foot is also longer. Both of these makes it easier to grip and hand carry the lens easier for me.

5. I just had to have the gold ring! :D

Here are some of the sample photos I have taken with the D500 and Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 combo:

Pure Child's Joy

A day in the life...

Monkey Business

But always have fun
    Post edited by webmastadj on
    Any post processing done on these images ?

edited April 2017
    @heartyfisher Film is developed right? ;) Yes there was some post processing done. Adjustments on saturation, clarity, and contrast. Some have a small amount of vignetting added. No other major work.
    Post edited by webmastadj on
    edited May 2017

@heartyfisher Film is developed right? ;) Yes there was some post processing done. Adjustments on saturation, clarity, and contrast. Some have a small amount of vignetting added. No other major work.

Love the colours! the skin colours are amazingly glorious.. (for a nikon ;-) )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited May 2017
    Here are some plain RAW files from the camera, D500 with the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR. This lens autofucus is slow, but good enough for lot of situations.
    No editing done, you can do a lot with minor LR adjustments.

Added 1 virtual copy with minor LR editing, sharpening and noise both 40.

https://adobe.ly/2pzXd5c
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore