D7500 backward step ?:

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2017
    I think you will get a battery grip ..the HK guys will make one like they did for the D3200 series ..take off the battery door and fit a grip with a contact "stick" up the hole....should take two batteries even if a bit bulbus to the rear..or even two batteries end to end in a tray.. God I have a D 800 with the grip from a D7000 "engineered " to fit ..( I dont like spending money)
    Follow the fat photographer..looks like they got the logo wrong Not 7 5 0 0 but should be 5700.................the 5700 is twice the price of the 5600 ...oops
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    I don't think there's any doubt that there will be all sorts of third party accessories, but based on the fact that these elements aren't factored into the original design, this suggests a change in segment/direction - quality too.

I'm very curious why this body seems to be built to two extremes - a superb sensor/AF unit, in a plastic body.

No AI feeler, but the AF actuator for AF-D lenses.

An AF assist light where none was present or indeed needed in the D500

A single UHS-1 card slot, and 4K video.

Very weird....
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2017
    If we follow this trend then consider this ..the D810 is no longer made so your low end option is the D750 ...so will we see no D850 but a high mp D5s ...you then can buy a D750 or a D5s just like you can buy a D7500 or a D500....
    Strange times .....
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited April 2017
    @IanG A single card slot, no AI feeler, no possibility for a battery grip (no contacts) etc. all points to a strictly amateur market, IMHO. I

I agree.

A couple of thoughts at this moment in time, when I look at it for my kind of photography, what is not the professional view, but the amateur spending a lot of money. The D7500 is a terrific camera I think, IQ the same as the D500?

The D500 for € 2300.- (announcement) here in Europe is nonsense, this price is much, much too high. The D7500 is priced € 1500.- (announcement), too high as well, but will be less end of the year, remaining € 800.- difference of course, which I would spend, when I have to choose.

1. I rented the D500 for a week and it is a beast of a camera, for all kinds of shooting.
    2. The ISO numbers are unbelievable, but the noise did not improve, just marketing. I compared ISO 3200 with the old D300 (I know 12mp) and the D500 is beaten, 6400 with the D500, the noise is bad and I need high ISO's when shooting in very dark circumstances. Go out and shoot musicians in very bad lighted bars, no flash allowed and compare the noise with every other Nikon camera you have (use all correction software you need), then you know ( at least Full frame, sorry).
    3. Photography at the moment, press the button and come home with 3000 shots a day.
    4. I don't have an editor to do it for me, so select a photo out of many rows from 150 to 200 shots is crazy. Spending days behind the computer. 50 shots continuous is so high. Jippeeeee I have one, not my kind of photography. Missing the moment, who found that out.
    5. In the studio 50 to 80 (ok 100) shots is enough to have 10 good ones and 20 very usable.
    6. BIF, I came home once with too many (520) shots, because I do a lot of work in advance, then I know the place and moment.
    7. A battery life is so high today, take a spare. (My original 8 years old D300 batteries still working great).
    8. One is making an isue from "just one slot". Very strange, it is the 21 century, where professionals have all the latest, state of the art stuff and equipment.
    9. An "amateur" workflow at the moment (not a pro), Eyefi card (or other WiFi) - direct to the phone or tablet - direct to LR mobile - direct to LR mobile cloud - direct to the computer - direct to 2 backup systems (NAS). The RAW files not JPG. When you shoot JPG this is very quick.
    Note one can have unlimited data here in Europe with a 4g connection, much quicker and safer then WiFi. (€ 35.- a month and it's becoming cheaper).
    10. Take a WiFi SSD drive in your pocket for direct backup, or cheaper solutions to backup your SD card, there are a lot of solutions out there.
    11. Tethering with a cable........ for a couple of other situations, you can even let the SD card out, so zer0 cards.

This "500 light" lets face it, when you can't get your shot with this one or the D500 ........, please Nikon, light and fast high performance f/1.4 (f/1.8) DX lenses and we are done, but the D500 and the D7500, Toppie!!
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I didn't realize it lost AI-S support, that's a bit of a bummer, although not completely a deal breaker. I did enjoy the 50mm 1.2 when I used it on the D7000, but it's not often I use that lens so it's not a complete loss.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited April 2017
    The Nikon lineup is undergoing a significant change with this D7500. When you would go to the nikonusa.com website they used to divide their bodies into three groups: entry level, advanced amateur, and professional. That is how we thought of them and the D7xxx series was the top DX in that advanced amateur group before the D500. (As an aside, I had thought Nikon would put the D500 into the professional group because of its control layout but they listed it in the advanced amateur group.) Go to nikonusa.com today and you will find Nikon has changed their categorization of bodies. Nikon now groups them as DX bodies, FX bodies and Special Purpose DSLR (the Df and the D810a). In the DX category Nikon lists the D500 as flagship, the D7500 as enthusiast, the D5600 as advanced entry, and the D3400 as entry level. While the D7xxx series used to be the top of the DX bodies and had the motor drive and complete backwards lens compatibility and dual cards and served professionally, that role is now played by the D500 so there is no longer a need for those features on the D7xxx series and that is why the D7500 has been "downgraded." In the FX category Nikon lists the D5 as flagship, the D810 as professional, the D750 as advanced entry, and the D610 as entry level. The new pattern is two categories with four bodies in each category which spans the range from entry level to flagship. Why reorganize like this? Perhaps it is for what they plan to announce later this year: a mirrorless body system which they will eventually fill with four bodies from entry level to flagship. I think we are seeing a new pattern emerge in preparation for a mirrorless category. The top two mirrorless should be FX while the bottom two mirrorless should be DX. We should have some answers this summer.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2017
    I just acquired a bunch of AIS lenses.. !! will have a serious play with them after I get them serviced ! That was one of the key features I liked in the D7xxx series.. well no more ...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Hearty: for those who want to buy and use AIS lenses Nikon wants them to get a D500 or a D750. I think the D610 replacement is also likely to drop some features like the D7500 did. The mirrorless line they likely will announce later this year may have a $1,200 body that accepts AIS lenses, but I doubt it. I think from here on out AIS compatibility will only exist with bodies in the top of each line even though mirrorless has fewer parts and should be less costly to build. There must be very few people these days who still use AIS lenses at all, much less with DX bodies, and those people likely mostly already own, or will purchase, an upper end body which can use them. Remember all AIS lenses would be FX image circle compatible so they are more likely to be used on FX sensor bodies rather than on DX sensor bodies. Total Nikon system lens compatibility is coming to an end. Enough time has passed from the AIS era that very few people will bother to total manual focus lenses anymore.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    You sure there will be a D610 replacement Donald?
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2017
    Some of the things I like about using AIS lenses on DX are..
    1) The image circle is smaller so you get the sharpest part of these old lenses...
    2) The lenses behave differently with the change in FOV ! Fun to discover what the new combination brings!
    3) You can always use it on FX too !!

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

spraynpray: No, not sure. But replacing it would fit the new format Nikon has of offering four bodies in each sensor size. Maybe it will be decontented to the same extent as the D7500. Or maybe it will be decontented even more so to be similar to the D3400 so Nikon can offer an FX sensor body for $999.95. I think that would sell and provide great image quality. I was always impressed with the sensor in the D600/610 and would think it would still serve great in a D3400 style FX sensor body. Software improvements will likely allow Nikon to increase the high ISO a stop.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have thought the D7200 and the D810 the best all a round cameras in the DX and FX formats. Taking away some of the D7200 features from the D7300 is a disappointment. I am not the target buyer for the D7300. The D7200 I would like to own.

I hope they do not do the same with the replacement for the D810.

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    retread said:

I have thought the D7200 and the D810 the best all a round cameras in the DX and FX formats. Taking away some of the D7200 features from the D7300 is a disappointment. I am not the target buyer for the D7300. The D7200 I would like to own.

I hope they do not do the same with the replacement for the D810.

D7500 took a hit in certain areas to differentiate it from D500 which didn't exist before. The FX line has always had a D5/4/3, so no reason to downgrade the D810. It's also a 'pro' camera and needs stuff like dual cards and grip, whereas D7500 is a more mainstream/enthusiast model and can (Nikon is hoping) get away with not having them.

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    @BVS

D7500 took a hit in certain areas to differentiate it from D500 which didn't exist before. The FX line has always had a D5/4/3, so no reason to downgrade the D810. It's also a 'pro' camera and needs stuff like dual cards and grip, whereas D7500 is a more mainstream/enthusiast model and can (Nikon is hoping) get away with not having them.

I can understand what Nikon did. As a happy D500 owner I just don't see anything I need in a D7500. There are things from both the D500 and D7200 I would like to have seen in a D7500. On the other hand I can still have an interest in a D7200. I hope it works for Nikon as I need them to prosper.

I, and others, consider the D500 as a pro camera even though Nikon seems not to.

I view the camera line up as bottom to top

DX FX
    D3XXx - D6xx
    D5xxx - D7xx
    D7xxx - D8xx
    D500 - D5

this is an entry level and pro top in both formants and the DF as an specialty.

I guess after I think about it the D7500 looks more like a D500 down grade than a D7200 up grade. (?) It should work well for those who do not want to move up to the D500.

My backup for the D500 is a D5100. Nice camera but would like to up grade and can not afford FX now. My thought is different horses for different courses so want the second camera to be different from the D500.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You all seem to have short term memory. The D7500 features smell just like the D90 did to the D300s. The D90 had no AI metering tab, single card slot, etc. You all wanted the D500 to come, well you got a modern D90 to go with it, and lost the affordable high performance middle range camera.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SamkoSamko Posts: 101Member
    PB_PM said:

You all seem to have short term memory. The D7500 features smell just like the D90 did to the D300s. The D90 had no AI metering tab, single card slot, etc. You all wanted the D500 to come, well you got a modern D90 to go with it, and lost the affordable high performance middle range camera.

d300 came and then d90...after some time d300s came with video, its all a kind of step up.

d500 came and then d7500 thats is ''ript''. its not logical to make new things wors on purpuse.

For me the D7500 is for those new ppl who just come in and what the newest camera TODAY, but in this case it just mean you get ***** ! because the d7200 is a better camera overall.

You get better higt iso blablabla how much better do you really get it, its only baby step better.

on D7600 are they going to rip it from the metaring system and front wheel ? only time will show.

Its a dirty game from nikon, downgrade, rip specs out og newer product its just dirty.

But no problem for us, we are in it, we know what is what. But for the industri its bad to go backwards.
    edited April 2017
    Samko said:

PB_PM said:

d300 came and then d90...after some time d300s came with video, its all a kind of step up.
    Yup, I had D90 and D300 at one point. Skipped the D300s because I didn't see any reason to upgrade. Moved to the D700 after that. ;)

You missed the point though. The D90 type cameras, existed because the D300/D300s were around. When the D300s was long and tooth the D7000 came, but no D400. We are talking about 2009-2016 with no D300s replacement. Someone at Nikon felt that the D7xxx cameras were good enough to take the place of the D300s. In many ways they were right, and the price point was much better.

Now that the D500 is around, the place the D7000-D7200 held is too high end, and would hold back D500 sales, so they reverted to what worked before, a semi crippled amateur camera.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    When you're used to power, falling from the top hurts a lot. :wink:

With the D5500 and the D3400, is it really necessary to cut so many features from the D7500? I guess to Nikon yes. For sure it would be nice for it to keep the AI-S tab and the 2nd card slot.

That being said, for the most part the D7500 hits all the right points and would probably be the right camera for 98% of people shooting DX on the forums here. Honestly, it's just the few people with older AI-S gear and pro users that might complain.

For those people, the D500 still exists, it's only another $250 or so more, so it's really not that big a deal for pro photographers.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited April 2017
    The irony to me is that the D7500 is $1699 (Cdn), the same price I paid for the D300 in 2008, while the D500 is $2699 Cdn, which is what I paid for the D700 in 2011.

The D7500 knocks the socks off the D300(s) in all but build quality, so it's not a bad deal overall. The D500 on the other hand, feels overpriced, at least in the Canadian market.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    OK so back to basics - at the present time here in France the D7200 body sells for around the 1000€ mark - the D7500 is expected to be 25% more but offers what in terms of a 'semi-pro' body?

Yes, the D500 sensor is very nice etc. and 4K video too, but for me the negative aspects far outweigh the advances - my advice to the equipment nuts who 'must' change at every iteration - don't.

Point of interest - the D500 is available here for 2000€ - I'm probably right out on my own (as usual) but for the build quality and specification I don't find that too expensive. I can't honestly say if it's worth twice the price of the D7200, as I don't have one, but my D500 makes great images, that's for sure.
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • SamkoSamko Posts: 101Member
    I just find it wierd to take specs out of a newer model, and still call it D7xxx.
    Its seem slike its a long term strategy from nikon = new name D8xxx for the new line. then nothing would be wierd.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    I'm not a pro, so the 2nd SD slot doesn't break the deal for me. I used a second SD card mostly to explore raw+JPEG alternatives, but I'm now just shooting raw, and incessant chimping helps confirm the image got to the card... :D

I get the concern though. When it counts, you don't want to be exposed to a single point of failure, especially with a component with a non-zero probability of failure. I work in aerospace, sometimes wish more folk got that concept.

So, my question to the pros is, would you consider Snapbridge to a phone, tablet, or laptop to be an acceptable alternative to a 2nd SD slot for redundancy? Failure-mode wise, you'd have diversity in both media and the path to it, so there's a compelling redundancy argument. Having not the opportunity to use Snapbridge, I don't know it's particular reliability, but if it works it would seem to be a prudent alternative to a 2nd SD slot.
  • shubhabrata29shubhabrata29 Posts: 30Member
    U guys believe it or not, there was no necessity of D7500 at this point with a mix of D7200 and D500 features, when both of those were doing so good. People with low budget should have gone to D7200 and with more budget to D500 period. Nikon should have concentrated it's energy more on the upcoming FX or the mirrorless segment to regain market share. 95% people are confused why would they buy D7500 at all.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    If the D7500 had been called "D500backup", it could have been a niche camera being met with more sympathy. If you use D500 as your main camera, you would be able to get the D7500 as a backup in case your D500 stops working. It has the same sensor and the same metering, so you don't have to change your settings to get the same results. And the D7500 is kind of fast, and it takes 4K video, so it'll handle exactly the same tasks, just not quite as well. It is a D500 backup, right?
    Nikon would probably not build a body dedicated to being a D500 backup, though, so an actual Nikon strategy is probably more like "I am the poor man's D500" ... to grab a fair amount of customers and to easier keep the price of D500 high.

Seeing the D7500 as a D7200 upgrade is much harder. A 32 MP D7300 at 1500$ with super high DR would make more sense. That would be cool. Nikon did say that the D7500 didn't replace the D7200, didn't they? So is D7200 the end of the road, or will something else replace it? A mirrorless perhaps? A mirrorless could provide ultra high IQ, but still struggle when it comes to fast action, so, well, Nikon needed a D7500 to have the action segment covered.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    100% Agree. There is a reason they skipped D7300 and D7400, and it has nothing to do with superstition. They are hoping to grab the folks who want a "cheap D500". As an owner of a D500, and a D7200, I can see room for a D7500 in the fleet :smile: Heck, maybe they are saving the D7400, D5400, and D400 for mirrorless :lol: