D7500 backward step ?:

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I feel the D5 and D810 are different FX cameras for different purposes. Much the same I think the D7200 and the D500 are different DX cameras for different purposes. D5 - D500 for things that move fast and D810 - D7200 for things that don't.

The D7500 has muddied the water. It is stuck in the middle not knowing quite where it fits, but yes a nice camera. Maybe a bit like me "jack of all trades and master of none". :)
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    retread said:

I feel the D5 and D810 are different FX cameras for different purposes. Much the same I think the D7200 and the D500 are different DX cameras for different purposes. D5 - D500 for things that move fast and D810 - D7200 for things that don't.

The D7500 has muddied the water. It is stuck in the middle not knowing quite where it fits, but yes a nice camera. Maybe a bit like me "jack of all trades and master of none". :)

You are mostly correct in your thinking, except that for things that do not move fast Nikon probably wants you to buy FX for its better resolution instead. As Thom noted, they are not the only ones in this push as Canon, Fuji, Sony and Nikon have all set 24mp as the artificial upper bar in DX resolution while pushing forward in MP on FX. For a shrinking pro photography field, this makes some sense but sucks for those prosumers looking for better resolution performance without having to step up to FX.

What we are likely to see in the future, however, is the introduction of sensor shift technology into DX cameras so they perform the same tricks the Olympus and Pentax ones do by combining exposures for better clarity. My suspicion is that Sony will introduce combined exposures into their DX cameras in the next 6XXX iteration along with pushing IBIS into lower cost models like the 3K and 5K series, and these moves will force CaNikon to either follow suit or lose mirrorless market share.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    One of the recurring themes I see is what really good cameras the D7100/7200 are. In order to really improve on them, you really do have to spend almost twice the D7200s asking price.

I'm really tempted to buy another 7200 as a hedge.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator

I'm really tempted to buy another 7200 as a hedge.

Sounds like a plan. I love my D7200 and I see a place for a 24MP DX sensor with reasonable frame rate in my arsenal.
    If I were looking at moving up from a D3xx or a D5xx I would consider a D7200, D7500 or the D500. If cost were not a concern the D500 would win hands down. Between the D7200 and D7500 the feature set that would be most desirable to each would be different.

For me the thing I would miss the most on the D7500 is the vertical grip. Of the things missing on the D7500 that is the one I use far more than the others.

Of the things Nikon did not bring down from the D500 the joy stick is the second. I love moving the focus point, it is in the ideal location easy to use.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    I was in Tempe Camera on Monday buying a lens. I was standing in front of the Nikon display. I looked at the D500 and saw how massive a camera it was. It was just huge! The D7500 is said to be smaller and lighter with the same sensor? I can see it selling over the D500 because of size and weight. But that's just my opinion. Some, like me have "body issues"!

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hiker said:

Some, like me have "body issues"!/blockquote>

LOL - the mind boggles!

I think smaller and lighter is good for carrying, but not necessarily for shooting.

Always learning.
    @Hiker

I have a grip on my D500 and love it. My D5100 seems like a toy when I pick it up. I do not have large hands but love shooting with the grip. My 10 year old grandkids like the smaller camera.

Don't think I will want another camera without a grip. And the size of the D500 helps balance out long lenses. I think it is easier to use than the lighter camera.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Retread ,,you will get a grip ..its only the positon of the battery compartment and the tripod screw that will need to be measured and the HK boys will have one made.
    I used a D5100 grip on my D3200 long before they made one.I like the idea of the grip with a stick up the compartment hole ...its more reliable than that connector on the base and two batteries will be easily accessible without takeing the grip off.
  • AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    I think @donaldejose has it right.

I just checked the Nikon website, The sales site still has labels Pro, Enthusiast, and Entry level but checkout the product lineup page and all labels i.e. Pro and Prosumer have been removed and they were there just a couple of weeks ago.

I actually think the D7500 makes perfectly sense with the D500 as the top of the DX lineup. The perfect analogy is the D300/D90 ( @Samko ).

Next up Mirrorless but mirrorless means a new line of lenses because of the flange to sensor distance....
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    "The perfect analogy is the D300/D90 " Correct, IMHO. Nikon is just moving existing product lines into a new organization to make room for a mirrorless category. Perhaps one reason they stopped iterating the Nikon1 line was to put those people, and their expertise, to work on DX and FX mirrorless bodies. That would have been a smart move. My greatest hope is to see Nikon announce a mirrorless pair soon: one s pro level FX body and one lite pro level DX body; similar to the way Nikon released the D5 and the D500. [Nikon's greatest digital camera hits: D3 and D300; D5 and D500; mirrorless Mx and Mxxx.] Then all those pros who would like to get the Sony A9 because it can do 20 fps and can shoot silently but have no long lenses for it will have a silent high fps Nikon mirrorless body to go with all the existing Nikon glass. There will be no good reason to dump Nikon and buy a Sony A9 if Nikon improves the tech it had in the Nikon 1 and meets Sony's specs. In fact, the choice would be to dump Sony and buy Nikon if Nikon produces a mirrorless body which has all the advantages of the Sony bodies but has the additional advantage of all Nikon's lenses with a simple spacer/adopter. This should not be too hard for Nikon to do. We will see.
  • SamkoSamko Posts: 101Member
    Andrewz said:

I actually think the D7500 makes perfectly sense with the D500 as the top of the DX lineup. The perfect analogy is the D300/D90 ( @Samko ).

I see and it make sense in that prespective, but to call it D7xxx and remove things from it is wrong ( or price it way lower then the D7200 )
    @donaldejose AMIN.

Sounds like a nice way for Nikon. They need to jump on the mirrorless wagon this year, and if hey do it they better do it hard and way better then the others.... 100th.

Im going to stay with DSLR, but nikon needs top class mirrorless.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I would buy the mirrorless counterpart to the D500 (called the DM500 or M500 for digital mirrorless with the 500 internals?), if they make one this year. I would also like the replacement for the D810 but of those two I would put a silent shooting mirrorless body first.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Silence is golden ( at a wedding)
    I dont know, for me the bodys are on the small size and the EV I hate. I was trying the fuji x pro 2 and i like that hybrid EV but still small body with no real grip.

If nikon can make a mirrorless with hybrid EV, f mount and the right side of that camera with a real d810 grip, see that would suit me well :)
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

Silence is golden ( at a wedding)

A silent shutter can be useful. I never thought my D40 was loud until I went to take some photos at a museum and it ended up being the loudest thing in an art exhibit.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Nice points everyone. Started with the first message and read them all. Good discussion.

I gave up on the D400 to replace my D300 and got the D7100. I really liked it and shot over 9,300 images the first year. When the D7200 came out I looked at it and saw no reason to upgrade for how I used the camera.

Then I got the D750 and fell in love with IQ. Looked at the D500 and yes it's nice but my budget won't allow that buy this year. If I did BIF and more wildlife it would be a must buy item. Saving my money for the D750 replacement.

Really like the comments posted in this thread. Made for good reading.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    Photobug said:

Saving my money for the D750 replacement.

Why?

Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    IanG - Why? Easy, to take advantage of the new features. I use the D750 for 85 to 90% of my pictures.

The real question is how many of the improvements will make it to the new model.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    @Photobug - isn't it more reasonable to exploit the camera you actually own? I have a great deal of difficulty understanding this constant desire to have more - when the current model is usually considerably more powerful than the user ever needs IMHO.

Cameras are tools - they do not make the images, the person using them does.
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    :-) "I have a great deal of difficulty understanding this constant desire to have more " LOL !! yup but the "WANT" strong in this forum... NAS rules many threads here ! :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    GAS-Gear Acquisition Syndrome is a real thing...... I'm not unlike @Photobug, had a D300....waiting for the D400 and bought a D750. But I have to be honest that the D750 is such a good camera for what I do I really see no need to upgrade. What I really wanted was a small mirrorless so I got a Fuji X-Pro2. I feel a little dirty saying it here but why couldn't Nikon give me a small Pro mirrorless, why?

Oh is this threads about the D7500 ;-) I still think it makes sense, not as a replacement of the D7200 but more a realignment of the whole line up of cameras. But if you wanted a small light DSLR with the sensor out of the D500 and the processor from the D5... pretty nice camera on paper, can't wait to actually touch it!
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    I've been "trying out" a D7200 for the past couple of weeks while my D3300 was sent in for an apparent focusing issue. The D7200 is FAR FAR above the D3300 in every way. So, the D7200 is a huge upgrade. Why do I want to upgrade? It's not GAS, it's seeing what's better. One look through the viewfinder says it all. Fro Knows had a FB post about GAS. If what he said was true, we wouldn't have any camera's except for our cell phones.
    @Hiker I agree - this is not a case of GAS - the two series are significantly different, and offer different elements.

@Andrewz In a nutshell "the D750 is such a good camera for what I do I really see no need to upgrade" - you seem to be in a minority!