Sony overtook Nikon to become number 2 behind Canon

Today there is a press release that Sony has overtaken Nikon to become number 2 in full frame ILCs.
Is Nikon slipping ??
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-overtakes-2-position-u-s-full-frame-interchangeable-lens-camera-market/
Tagged:

Comments

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Yes, as has been said on several threads.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon started slipping a while ago, it's just becoming more apparent now.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Sony also has major marketing behind their products. Here's an exercise... go to YouTube and enter into the search space: "Sony Artisan" you will be guided to pages of videos about photographers touting the Sony products and how some have switched from Nikon to Sony or from Canon to Sony. Gary Fong being one of them.

Trust me, I don't want to come across too negatively on Nikon as I'll be the first in line to buy a Nikon Df mirrorless with the silver top if they made one with similar specs as the Sony a7rII. But........still waiting.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Sony claims they're ahead of Nikon based on one month of sales data (January), which is also the month right after the holidays when all the sales are ended, and everyone who wanted a new camera probably already bought one in November or December...

Sounds like some good spin to me.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2017
    Good nikon need a good kick in the ass after the stupidity of the D7500 ( D5700)
    They even left the printing + /- off the eyepiece adjuster and did not print stereo mic on the top ....what did they do inside ??
    If you own one camera its easy to sell it and change but if you have and use 4 every week like I do its not an economic proposition.
    Some teaser anouncement on whats to come would do a lot to boost nikon and stop people swopping .......
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @BVS - some good points there.
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    With the new Sony A9, it really does look like Sony may open a small lead in the near term over Nikon.
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    Sony is a huge, diversified company. If it puts its mind to take over a market, with its vast R&D budget and manufacturing capabilities, it stands a very good chance of doing it over time. Perhaps Canon better start watching out (as I'm sure they are in closed-door boardroom meetings).
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    It looks like with Nikon's new fiscal year projections that Sony will indeed overtake Nikon.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Well, Nikon projects the overall DC-IL market this coming fiscal year to go down by 1.07 million (from 11.77 to 10.70). Out of those, Nikon expects itself to go down by 0.6 million (from 3.1 to 2.5). Consider that Nikon only has a 25% market share now, but it expects almost 60% of the market reduction to be at its expense, that's really bleak.

Now considering this is their 100th anniversary and there are several models to be refreshed to attract interest, that's even more bleak. Maybe they are so incompetent to have more difficulty to get the current models refreshed. Now they do expect the average price of their DC-IL to increase by 10% which is not good news to consumers either.

Considering Nikon's cameras have very good specs on paper, and it's still losing market share, the only explanation is its reputation and goodwill are shot. At this point, it does call into question regarding the long term prospect of this company, and that's a self reinforcing vicious cycle.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I think people have been waiting for the DL for so long that people have bought other cameras to replace it. I certainly got a Sony RX100. I agree that Nikon has wasted a lot of good will, some people didn't or couldn't wait that long for a D300 replacement and either went with m4/3 or got a Sony or Canon equivalent. Roll in some piss poor customer service and I can't blame people for jumping ship. Honestly if you're staying with Nikon for DSLRs you could justify it, but none of Nikon's offerings for mirrorless or compact cameras are that compelling.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Looks like the Sony A9 may have a few hiccups. While it may be a good camera it appears Sony hyped their new flagship a bit. Some bitter folks are speaking out about their initial use.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    autofocus said:

Looks like the Sony A9 may have a few hiccups. While it may be a good camera it appears Sony hyped their new flagship a bit. Some bitter folks are speaking out about their initial use.

I heard there was an over heating issue with the A9??