File Permissions Error

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited April 2017 in General Discussions
Just a question, has anyone had this issue before in the past?

Has anyone had this issue before?

Has anyone had this issue pt 2

The photo is a photo I took, and I'm not sure why I'm not allowed to open it, make changes, or anything like that. I didn't even encrypt or lock the file. I'm on a Mac running 10.12.4, if that matters.

Thanks for looking into this for me and for anyone that has any idea what's going on.
Post edited by NSXTypeR on
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Could be a corrupt file. Have you tried opening it on another computer or device?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    There's a chance that it is corrupt, although that would be weird because I have files before and after that I can open without difficulty. It's not too big a deal because I backed up to Google Photos fine, and in theory I can always download them from there. It's just puzzling, I've never had it happen to me before. Also, these files were taken with a D7000. In any case, I'll be away without a computer for the next few weeks so it'll be a while before I can try opening the files with a different computer.

Thanks for the input.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Which version of the OS? You might try "Disk First Aid" and do a file permission repair.
    Well, the weird thing is that it's not a reproducible problem. I restarted my computer and the problem went away when I tried to open up the same file. I'm running Mac OSX 10.12.4.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    did you accidently lock the file on the camera when you took that pic? it happens (so i hear lol). on the get info panel near the top is the "locked" box, if its checked then uncheck it.
    That sounds plausible, I've occasionally "locked" files to keep them from being deleted on camera, but I remember doing that more with my D40 than my D7000. In any case, it's not too big a deal, it's just weird and annoying.
    Locking the file in camera will have no effect on how a computer will work with the file.
    PB_PM said:

Locking the file in camera will have no effect on how a computer will work with the file.

That is correct.... after you unlock it.
    NSXTypeR said:

That sounds plausible, I've occasionally "locked" files to keep them from being deleted on camera, but I remember doing that more with my D40 than my D7000. In any case, it's not too big a deal, it's just weird and annoying.

My mom bought a d3300 and then decided it was too much for her and sent it to me and I'd contantly hit the lock button and would have to either go through the pix in camera and unlock them before transfering them or transfer them and find the locked ones (not hard to find since they would have the little lock on icon) and unlock them or if I forgot that step when I'd run them thru a renamer i'd get a "cannot rename xx number of files" and have to go unlock them and then rename.

PB_PM said:

After responding to a did answer I see what you're saying. Yes you can work with them and you might not even notice it if you don't try to change to file itself in any way. For me I always transfer files to computer then rename them by date, time and camera, if a file is locked it wont rename.

Another thing is that if you leave the file locked and store it and at a later date want to retrieve it from starage device (especially a disk like a dvd) it might not tranfer and come back as corrupt, especially if the OS has been updated inbetween.
    edited May 2017
    My point was that using the in camera lock doesn't lock the file once it's off the camera. The only thing the in camera lock does is tell the camera not to delete the file in the event the users chooses "delete all" in camera (not the same as formatting the card). Maybe it's just a Mac thing, but the Mac OS Finder does not recognize the in camera lock whatsoever.

Edited note: Apparently Nikon changed that with newer cameras. Lock does nothing with older cameras (D300 era), but it does work with newer models (D750).
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

Edited note: Apparently Nikon changed that with newer cameras. Lock does nothing with older cameras (D300 era), but it does work with newer models (D750).

I don't think it ever happened on my D200 or D90 and only noticed it on D3300 but my D7000 has done it a few times recently. I'll try it in a few with a d7000 & d700.

ok so here is quick test results on macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

I used to use Nikons viewNX-i to transfer from card to laptop but since it won't do it on sierra I can't test it but I know for a fact at least in prior versions it transfered the locked files with the lock in place.

Since I don't have that option I now either just copy n paste from card to laptop which DOES keep locks on and if you don't unlock it won't save the file with any edits.

The other way is to use Apples Image Capture and it REMOVES the locks from the files on import. Kinda interesting that it does that but it's also way faster transfering the files.

So what i might guess at this pint is that if NSXTypeR isn't renaming his files then another version with that file name could have still been in his cache... I dunno but the good thing on macs is that if you do have issues is that cleaning the cahe and/or rebooting usually fixed most issues
    edited May 2017
    I'm a bit late to this conversation as I was away for the last 2 or so weeks, but yes, after I reboot I am unable to replicate the issue. It's odd, but I guess it's a quirk.

daveznspace, thanks for trying to replicate the situation.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on