D7500 backward step ?:

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    retread said:

I have a D500 and if I get another DX it will be the D7200. D7500 to me is a crippled D500 though still a good camera. D7200 is a different horse for a different course.

Everything I read tells me the same thing about the D7500. However, I am going to have to touch and use it to confirm my opinion. Right now, I have referred one buyer to the D7200 over the D7500.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    I'm sorry but how can you possibly advise ANYONE what you haven't actually used the camera?

This is as ridiculous as basing opinions on image quality by quoting DxO results.

When will people start USING cameras rather than pretending they know everything about them - by reading spec sheets. As you can possibly see, this frustrates me - I am NOT picking on any one person, this is becoming all too prevalent, and damaging in my view.
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Photobug said:

retread said:

I have a D500 and if I get another DX it will be the D7200. D7500 to me is a crippled D500 though still a good camera. D7200 is a different horse for a different course.

Everything I read tells me the same thing about the D7500. However, I am going to have to touch and use it to confirm my opinion. Right now, I have referred one buyer to the D7200 over the D7500.
    Seems like a solid upgrade to the D7200 to me, unless you're somebody that has to have the grip and/or second card slot.

I'm curious how the weather sealing is on the D7500. I've had my D7100 out in blizzards and it's never had any issue.

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    IanG said:

I'm sorry but how can you possibly advise ANYONE what you haven't actually used the camera?

This is as ridiculous as basing opinions on image quality by quoting DxO results.

When will people start USING cameras rather than pretending they know everything about them - by reading spec sheets. As you can possibly see, this frustrates me - I am NOT picking on any one person, this is becoming all too prevalent, and damaging in my view.

I have used the D7200 but of course not the D7500. It was an easy decision...I listen to his requirements and we prioritized the top three requirements. Then an assessment was made of the features of both DSLRs and the D7200 fit his requirements. We made a decisions on facts. The key requirement was the dual memory card slots.

I always recommend people touch and feel but in this case, since the D7500 did not have the features he needs, it was based solely on features rather than features and ergonomics.

So IanG, understand your opinion but in this case it did not apply.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    IanG, D7500 is an iteration, so YES, reading the spec sheet is enough. And I and quite a few people agree with Photobug, it's a downgrade. If you don't see it, that's your issue. You are free to have your opinion though.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    tc88 said:

IanG, D7500 is an iteration, so YES, reading the spec sheet is enough. And I and quite a few people agree with Photobug, it's a downgrade. If you don't see it, that's your issue. You are free to have your opinion though.

I disagree a little. The 7500 is a re-designed body. Its not a 7300 with updated internals like the 7000->7100 and 7100->7200 iterations were. There needs to be some hands on experience with the redesigned body before everyone passes judgment. Remember that one of the strengths of Nikon over spec-heavy brands like Sony is Nikon's amazing ergonomics. Its unclear whether the 7500 is further enhancing that, or alternatively is a step backwards; that's why we really need more hands on reviews.
    Anybody know if you can use the touchscreen to select AF point when using the viewfinder, like you can on D5500?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited May 2017
    Hiker said:

So now the official release date is June 9th. I just bought the D7200 from B & H yesterday. Coming from a D3300 it is a major step up. I've been trying one out from Costco. Taking it back on Thursday when the B & H one arrives. I don't need all the extras in the kit.

As for the D7500, this camera also would be a huge step up from any low end camera, whether it's from Canon or Nikon. One card slot? So? I have that on the D3300. I took my D3300 to South America for 3 weeks and no issues and I shot 1800 pics. No battery grip? So? I have two batteries. An issue for some? Sure. 3 mega pixel difference? It's not that big a deal to me. I

think many of us forget that we use to have 1 mp cameras at one time and when a 3 or 5 mp camera came out it was a WOW! Any who, we shall see what reviewers say and how it all pans out compared to other cameras. Not trying to start a "war", just giving my thoughts.

Jeff

I don't think anyone is saying the D7500 is a bad camera, it's the fact that they're walking back features on that you were used to with the D7200 series. Honestly with the set of features the D500 has, the D7200 was uncomfortably close to it in terms of feature set. I can see why Nikon cut some features from the D7500, but I'm not keen on it. Also, I think people are inconvenienced by having to choose a less full featured DX camera if they want something with a built in flash.

I have the 50mm 1.2 AI-S and I like the coupling between the camera and the lens. Yes, I barely use the lens, but I sure appreciate having it. It also helps with exif data. I won't necessarily absolutely need it, but look at it this way- have you ever seen a politician ever willingly relinquish power? :wink:

I also started off with crappy digital gear, my first DSLR wasn't bad, but it was definitely on the older side, I started off with a D40, so I know how bad it used to be.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    Well....if B & H screws me again with my order, which they have done twice this week!! I will be getting the D7500. Long story short. I ordered a D7200 to be delivered on Thursday. The box came looking like someone played ice hockey with it, and the inside box had damage as well. They promised to overnight a replacement. Never happened and being 3 hours behind NY we didn't catch it in time. They are sending another via FedEx so I can pick it up at the station in the morning. IF that one is damaged, I'll wait until the 7500 comes out. Feeling frustrated to say the least.

Jeff
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Sorry to hear of the glitches Hiker. If you ever get your 7200, I think you'll like it. I bought a refurb 7200 last summer and it's been very good to me.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    yes Hiker but not as frustrated as you could be if that single card slot lets you down.
    Stick with the 7200
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have to say that I wouldn't even consider having a new body or lens sent via any carrier. They just don't have time to be careful so it is my experience that if it is small enough to be thrown, it will be, if it is big enough to stand on while looking for other packages, it will be.
    Always learning.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I jumped from a d3200 to a d7200 a little over a year ago and I love the thing. The d7500 seems like a fine camera and it does have some features I wish the 7200 had but I don't see me buying one. It's not out of the question for me to shoot 1500 RAW file shots at a single event. I must have 2 SD slots and long battery life. The 7200 beats the 7500 in those areas on paper.

I really think it depends on your needs though.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Y'know, the battery life would be a concern for me. I remember marvelling at how long the batteries lasted in my D50, and that expectation carried into the D7000. All the new electronics require electricity, go figure, and I'm seeing more comments about how that is pulling down battery life. I deal with that enough in our cell phones (well, the work Blackberry is an exception, goes 2 days between charges), not interested in having power management rule my shooting.

Pulled out my F2 to show my grandkid last weekend; I recalled not having a replacement battery for it one time, but "sunny/f16" and the mechanical shutter saved the day!
    Well the camera came via FedEx today. Everything seems fine. Double boxed and no damage. But!!! This D7200 seems "different" than the one I was trying out from Costco. The Costco one just seemed bulky and heavy. This one seems lighter and "looks" less bulky. Even my wife, who is NOT a photographer in any way noticed the difference. Call me crazy!! But that was my first thoughts when I was handling the new camera!!

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    ggbutcher said:

Y'know, the battery life would be a concern for me. I remember marvelling at how long the batteries lasted in my D50, and that expectation carried into the D7000. All the new electronics require electricity, go figure, and I'm seeing more comments about how that is pulling down battery life. I deal with that enough in our cell phones (well, the work Blackberry is an exception, goes 2 days between charges), not interested in having power management rule my shooting.

Pulled out my F2 to show my grandkid last weekend; I recalled not having a replacement battery for it one time, but "sunny/f16" and the mechanical shutter saved the day!

I'm actually unpleasantly surprised how quickly the battery on my D7000 runs down. I never really experienced such quick battery drain on my D40. Granted the battery life indicator shows about 50%, so that sounds reasonable, but I went from shooting over 1000 shots to shooting around maybe 600 to 800 shots per charge now. It's still quite significant but I just need to watch my battery life a bit more than normal.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Hiker said:

Well the camera came via FedEx today. Everything seems fine. Double boxed and no damage. But!!! This D7200 seems "different" than the one I was trying out from Costco. The Costco one just seemed bulky and heavy. This one seems lighter and "looks" less bulky. Even my wife, who is NOT a photographer in any way noticed the difference. Call me crazy!! But that was my first thoughts when I was handling the new camera!!

Check the model number .. ;-)

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hiker said:

OK, you're crazy ;)
    Always learning.
    LOL!!!! Yes Heartyfisher, THAT is the first thing I did!!!! Even after going through the menus setting it up it felt lighter. Don't know why. And thanks spraynpray!! :) :) LOL!
    Oh just chalk it up to a bad brain cell. :#
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    One detail mentioned somewhere in this thread, And unfortunately I believe it to be true (bad news travels fast) is that the manufacture of D7200 costs more than the new D7500 and the D7200 supply might dry up a lot?I have NO true knowledge of this, just a fear.....hopefully the D7200 will still be available a year from now. It is a fantastic bang for the buck!
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If you looked at the D500 when the fat man dismantled it for us you will note it had one circuit board the shape of the camera rather than the mess inside previous Nikons ..Single board tech would be cheaper to produce and need less assembly time.
    edited May 2017
    The more I think about it, at it's current $1,496 price w. free grip included, the more I feel like maybe Nikon intends the D750 to be the D7200 replacement. It's got the grip, the second card slot, the AI tab, nearly the same ergonomics, a number of upgrades over D7200, and is only a couple hundred more than a D7300 would have been if there was one. It's like Nikon is pleading with the serious/pro D7200 users to move on to FX.
    Post edited by BVS on
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    @DaveyJ - That thought had occurred to me. I thought for a very short while about buying another one to hold on to. Economically, however, that doesn't make sense. I'll be counting on my D7200 to last as long as I do, and, if it doesn't, I suspect the state of the art at that time will be sufficiently cool that there will prettier baubles to distract me.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    We have got a lot of stuff from B&H and none of it other than mint.