Upgrade to Lightroom 6?

dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
I have looked and looked and can't seem to locate a way to buy an upgrade version of LR 6 (from LR4) from Adobe's web site. They only seem to have CC available.

Searched on the web and all the instructions seem to be from 2015; what were once probably helpful screen grabs are no longer what I see on the Adobe site. Can anyone point me to the current way to do this?

Or has Adobe succeeded in making any upgrade except to CC too difficult.
- Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]

Comments

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    You can try ebay. I bought a upgrade version of CS6 after CC came out. Still using it.

framer
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Why would you buy an un-updatable software when for a Few dollars a month you can have PCC and Lightroom CC and get all the new updates Free.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    edited June 2017
    @ paulr - Yes, this question has occurred to me - Why not just go creative cloud man.

As Jack Benny often said - I'm thinking about it.
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    edited June 2017
    paulr said:

Why would you buy an un-updatable software when for a Few dollars a month you can have PCC and Lightroom CC and get all the new updates Free.

For me I don't like the idea of having nothing if I ever decided to stop the subscription! I mean, the way I read the T&Cs even if I've paid the subscription for years, if I stop paying, then no more PS or Lightroom - hence no access to my catalogue and/or edited pictures...

Here's a link to the UK Adobe Lightroom page where one can buy either full version or upgrade (I guess it should be a similar URL for other regions - probably just need to change the country code):

https://commerce.adobe.com/anyware/checkout/?clientId=adobe_com&countryCode=GB&languageCode=en&marketSegment=COM&items%5B0%5D%5BofferId%5D=1E7F5C93BDA382CB9A0FBE80615EB304&items%5B0%5D%5Bquantity%5D=1&returnUrl=undefined&landscape=prod

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)

Post edited by bald_eagle on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You would not loose access to the files, if you cancel or suspend CC, you just wouldn't be able to edit them, use the map or books features, anymore. It's basically the same thing that happens if you have trial version of LR that expires.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    You lose all the data stored about the editing too so years of editing is lost unless you have saved a .jpg or .tif, they've got you by the b@lls. That sucks bigtime.

A competitor should bring out a programme that reads Adobes catalogue...
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Is this an argument in favor of converting NEFs to DNGs? My understanding has been that DNGs store the edits in the file with the image. I saw where Nasim was a major supporter of DNG until recently, when he wasn't. I've been doing the DNG conversion for a couple of years as a hedge, but given the limited support it's received I'm reconsidering.
    Andrew, if you don't keep up the subscription are you losing "the data" stored about images or access to the Develop module to make further edits or edit future images? Is previous work affected as well? Would this affect the work I've done up to this point in LR4 ; seems I could just leave LR4 still installed as a backup option - would lose whatever new features and equipment compatibility came along with LRcc.
    Hi Ian, I haven't done that myself so I don't know for sure, but I do know that if I open old catalogues, LR asks if I want to update the catalogue and once done, I'm not sure if it would convert back if I attempted to open it in an old version. I don't know if the new catalogues read on an old version just like I don't know if you retain any functionality of LR, PS or any other CC program if you stop paying. I would expect you to lose all functionality but maybe someone with actual experience can chip in here.
    Always learning.
    Hmm, that's an interesting question if you can "go back" to a LR4 or LR6 after updating catalogs to LRcc, or would you have to keep a separate backup copy of all your earlier LR work in order to be able to continue to work with it in the older LR version(s).
    I found this information at Laura Shoe's web site -

What happens when I stop subscribing – will I lose my photos and work?

No – you will not lose either your photos or your Lightroom work. In fact, you don’t even lose access to Lightroom – you just get locked out of making any additional develop edits to your photos. You can continue, for free, to use Lightroom to import and manage your photos, enjoy your past editing work or undo this work, and to create output and export copies of your photos.

In addition, right now if you try a subscription and decide to revert to the stand-alone version, you can, since the programs and the catalogs are the same. It’s possible that in the future CC subscribers get new features that require a catalog upgrade and are not backwards compatible with Lightroom 6, so moving back at that point may be more difficult.

link here -
    http://laurashoe.com/2015/04/21/which-should-i-buy-lightroom-cc-2015-or-lightroom-6/#comment-275339

I posted a question about the upgrade link in this thread. I'll post what I find out.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi dissent, it seems the best and most reasonably priced way to buy Lightroom 6 is through Amazon. I was thinking about this as well recently after being a subscriber to Adobe Photographer package at $11 USD per month the last 2 years. It adds up over the years for sure, but I do need Photoshop CC also. Not sure if you do though. I long for the days when you could buy the software and update it manually yourself...
    Post edited by kanuck on
    Well, here is what I got from Laura Shoe -

Ian says:
    June 15, 2017 at 6:03 pm
    I see the link for the LR6 upgrade posted as of 11 April 2017, but when I go there I am only presented with an option to get LRcc. Am I missing something?

Laura Shoe says:
    June 15, 2017 at 9:40 pm
    I just found out yesterday that it has been taken down, Ian. The only way that I know to purchase Lightroom 6 is to purchase it from Amazon (or possibly other online photography retailers) – but you won’t get an upgrade discount.

So that's it, I guess. I can either get a full version of LR6 (whatever boxed ones I can find at Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc.) - or go LRcc. Or go to another software.
    edited June 2017
    kanuck said:

I long for the days when you could buy the software and update it manually yourself...

Yeah ... Good times, good times.

Post edited by dissent on
    A further update from Laura Shoe -

Laura Shoe says:
    June 16, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Turns out it was a mistake, Ian – it will be corrected, though the path to get to it won’t be the same as the article of mine you may have read showed. I’m not sure of the timing.

So apparently the upgrade link will be restored (?). Will keep you posted.

I may opt to go CC regardless.
    Keep us posted dissent because I would love a copy to run stand alone on a mac while keeping my subscription going on my windows ASUS I think. I like the colors on macs...
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited June 2017
    You can test things from all LR versions, if you want.

Make a backup from your catalog. look in the "Catalog Settings" how, it is very easy.

In the LR directory you see 2 folders, called "Previews and Smart Previews"
    The "Preview directory" is very big, holding all your full previews, which you don't need.

1. Move this "Preview directory" to a temporary place outside the LR directory.
    2. Start LR, it should work alright.
    3. Make the catalog backup (settings in LR Catalog Preferences).

4. (Optional) Put the "preview directory back in the original LR directory.
    Note: LR makes a new "Preview Directoy", which then starts empty of course.

You now have your LR backup in a "ZIP" file, WITH all your "Smart Previews" you made.

Unzip this on another computer (MAC) and there is your LR catalog to work with.
    LR don't need to be installed on that computer.

@kanuck you can install your CC on 2 computers with 1 subscription.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    edited June 2017
    @kanuck you can install your CC on 2 computers with 1 subscription.

Hi, I believe you can only have two computers with the same operating system not one mac and one running windows. I have two computers (same windows platform) right now on my subscription..

Post edited by kanuck on
    Well, I decided to go over to the Dark Side and get a Lightroom cc subscription.

Pray for me.
    There's no hope I'm afraid...
    Always learning.
    edited August 2017
    Meh, I'm looking at other options. If something comes, I'm dropping Adobe faster than you can say boo.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    @PB_PM - keep us appraised, I'd love a realistic alternative.
    Always learning.
    That is the software I've been thinking about, but until they build a DAM, it's not a real Lightroom replacement.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Yes, I am also missing the asset management. How about Capture One?