D600 Books

ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
edited December 2012 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I got an iTunes gift card today and I thought I might buy an iBook about photography. I stumbled upon three books targeted at D600 owners and wondered if anyone had any experience with these authors or series.

1st book: Nikon D600 Experience
Author: Douglas Klostermann

2nd book: Nikon D600: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Author: Rob Sylvan

3rd book: Nikon D600 for Dummies
Author: Julien Adair King

Thanks for the help. :)
D600 | AF-S 24-70mm 1:2.8G ED | AF 20mm 1:2.8 D | SB-800
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_v3/

Comments

• pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    Hey David...I have never seen these but have always thought the David Busch series was great. His D600 book is on Amazon for $27.00. Are you enjoying your D600.
  • pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    Hey David...I have never seen these but have always thought the David Busch series was great. His D600 book is on Amazon for $27.00. Are you enjoying your D600.
  • ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
    I love the D600. I come from a D70 so it's certainly not hard to love.

Also, my name is Ben... ;)
  • cmhammoncmhammon Posts: 1Member
    Ben,

A couple of suggestions based upon my experience with D700 books:

David Busch's books are very comprehensive, but don't have a lot of information about why and when you would use some controls/buttons/dials, etc. They're great if you want to get used to finding things and seeing what they do.

Nikonians guides are very basic and I think they'd be classified as field guides, since they're all about buttons.

In my opinion, Thom Hogan's e-book user guides are the best. I have his D800 book and it's awesome. Not only is there an exhaustive discussion of all controls, he talks a lot about the why and when questions, talks about what he does, has suggestions for settings, and recommends skipping some. He hasn't published a D600 book, but I'm sure it's on his To Do list.

Of the three authors you list, Rob Sylvan is the only one I've read. He is one of a few authors in the "From Snapshots to Great Shots" series, but I haven't seen his D600 book.

Above all, go to a bookstore and leaf through the hard copy books to see which has the information you want. Check a certain subject you care most about, such as autofocus or white balance, and see if the author does anything more than just tell you where the buttons are. Monitor bythom.com to see when he publishes his book and try that, too.

Good luck and enjoy your new, cool camera.
  • ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
    Fantastic answer cmhammon. I will look into Thom Hogan.
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    I'm with pippigurl.......I just bought David Busch's book on the D 300s; I LOVE it ! I paid $4o for Thom Hogan's D 300s book, but I fooled around and lost the thing before I had much chance to use it; after the book Nikon puts in the box with the camera, anything is a big improvement.
  • catfish252catfish252 Posts: 30Member
    The Mastering the Nikon DX00 series by Darrell Young are quite like David Busch's books, they tell you what all the buttons and menu options control, but not how or when to use them. I agree Thom Hogan's books are the best out there. Don't know anything about the others you mentioned.
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. Ansel Adams