Lensless camera

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2017
    Nice, bye mirrorless junk, hello lensesless!
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Cool!

@PB_PM: Why do you think these cameras will have a mirror?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2017
    Seriously? Of course it wouldn't have mirror. :lol:

Lensless is even better than simply mirrorless, that's kind of the point. Mirrorless's biggest problem is auto focus, you still have to move those lens elements as you do for an SLR. Remove both issues and you have something far greater.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2017
    its still very very new.. doubt it will even have prototypes in 5 to 10 years...
    (sigh ....I had the idea 20 years ago.. but oh well .. I almost patented it 10 years ago, half way through the process .. but then I lost all my money in a financial disaster sigh...there goes one more of my inventions.. but i have more ...... LOL ) oh one of the interesting things about this invention is that no colour specific sensors are needed. IE all colours are captured !!!
    The main issue will be computing power...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited July 2017
    @PB_PM: Ok, sorry for misunderstanding. It is hard for me to imagine a lensless camera with a mirror. I guess they would need a second chip on the mirror or something (which would be kind of pointless).

I wonder if you even have to point these cameras in exactly the right direction? If they can filter out the image from straight ahead I guess they can gather a picture from a slight angle as well. It is a little mind boggeling to think about this :).
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    edited July 2017
    Mirror ?? no mirror .... its lensless and mirrorless ...

If its the same principle as my idea 20-25 years ago, and i think it is.... think of it as you would multiple ears... you can "hear" the direction the lightwaves is coming from with 2 "pixels/ears" .. with 3 pixels you can get the direction and distance of the source.... and as for colours you can hear the frequencies... see its easy.. i was going to patent it .. too late now :-) 25 years too late sigh ... man if i only had the money.. to do it... sigh... I have more ideas :-) any one with money to help me patent my ideas ? :-)

edited July 2017
    Will it have infinite dof, or can you simulate an aperture?
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    edited July 2017
    DOF will be dependent on resolution (time resolution) the further the distance of the object the less you will be able to resolve the time delta between pixels. also the frequency of the source (colour) will effect resolution ie red will be less sharp compared to blue.

but it will need monster processing powers...imagine listening to an orchestra for 1 second and.. processing all that into the location of each instrument!

Thank you, it is all very easy really :).
    snakebunk said:

Thank you, it is all very easy really :).

LOL the maths is terribly hard though....

• MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    That's what I would've had if I'd purchased the Leica SL. I could not have afforded the lens.