Built like a tank

trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
I'm not recommending trying this but...
I came through Munich Airport this morning, feeling like death warmed up (back from India-need I say more?).
Anyway, in security I opened my rucksack with the D800 & 200-500mm f5.6 attached, as well as the 24-70 f2.8 in a compartment.
No issues, so I repacked my stuff & got the train to another terminal.
At the lounge door, I bent down to take my ticket from another case, when BANG!
I looked down, and there on the floor was the D800, as was the 200-500, no longer attached.
Then, the 24-70 hit the floor!
I'd forgotten to close the rucksack properly - doh.
I reattached the 200-500, turned the camera on, and voila - focussed & took pictures. As did the 24-70.
Hopefully I'll be taking pictures at the F1 this weekend.
But I might contact Nikon in London next week & see if they can check it over!

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hell's teeth, sorry to read that. Nikon UK contact details. If you tell them what's happened, they may do a while you wait job:

Nikon UK Ltd
    380 Richmond Road
    Kingston upon Thames
    Surrey
    KT2 5PR

Tel: 0330 123 0928
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I did something like that, except it was dropping the lens/camera from a tripod onto a concrete parking barrier. Camera and lens still worked, but needless to say all was not fine. The camera was fine (D700), but the lens (AF-S 300mm F4D IF-ED) had to get some repairs, about $350; realigning the lens elements, replacing a warped lens mount, and front filter holder.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    NPS membership might help
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I am a NPU member. Didn't have time to get to them this visit.
    The 200-500 seems none the worse, or at least the same as before. But the 24-70, whilst focusing OK is stiff as hell between 35-24mm. You can wind it down there but it's definitely wrong. Maybe a gear has jumped out of alignment?
    So I'll have to get them to look at it before my son's wedding in December
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    I would have wailed like a baby if my camera and lenses hit the floor like that. Sounds like you were calm and collected. I would've had an ambulance pick up my Nikon equipment and transport them directly to the emergency entrance at the service center.
    I was too ill to be agitated. TBH I just wanted to cry, but that wouldn't have done any good.
    Mind you, if it hadn't worked afterwards, I'd have had a complete breakdown!
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    trolley said:

I am a NPU member. Didn't have time to get to them this visit.
    The 200-500 seems none the worse, or at least the same as before. But the 24-70, whilst focusing OK is stiff as hell between 35-24mm. You can wind it down there but it's definitely wrong. Maybe a gear has jumped out of alignment?
    So I'll have to get them to look at it before my son's wedding in December

My 24-70 got stiff (without being dropped) and I sent it to Nikon who did a great job making it all smooth as silk once again. I think it ran me just under $400 USD..

Denver Shooter
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Trolley You may have damaged the helicoid in the 24-70 lens, this was a common fault in the early days when the lens first came out. This was actually product fault that Nikon never accepted I sent my lens back after one week and was told I had dropped it. After serious legal threats Nikon repaired it FOC. Fortunately that attitude as changed today At Nikon uk.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    Cheers. Unfortunately it's way out of warranty, but if they don't charge me too much, it's still cheaper than buying a good quality used one. I've sent it off to them, so I'll wait for the quote
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mmmm.... my D4 is sitting at home after coming back from Nikon... the TC-20EIII could not be removed.. so I sent them to Melville. I think the total bill was about $800 as they apparently had to do something to both the body and TC. Unfortunately I had to begin my tour west before the stuff came back, so when i get home next week, I will see what they did, and if it is now working.

All this, and I have never dropped or even bumped the setup... Fortunately, the 400/2.8 was on the TC and this came off normally. Would have hated to attempt to send the D4, TC, and 400/2.8 in....

Very nice, Trolly, that your equipment was not seriously damaged. Hopefully they will check it out at minimum cost.
    Msmoto, mod
    Trolley I hope you labelled it with the NPS labels, other wise it will sit in the queue with the other unopened parcels at Nikon's Receiving point in Surrey.
    Yep, I completed the returns form & used Nikon's printed label (with the barcode)
    So, they've got it - waiting for technician to produce an estimate.
    And 4 weeks later - still waiting for an estimate!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Just FYI, my D4 has been returned, works quite well. Hopefully no more glitches will occur.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    trolley said:

And 4 weeks later - still waiting for an estimate!

Yeah it can take a long time, depending on where you fall into the list. Took a month to get a quote and another two months for the repair. Anything made in Japan takes a long time, because they have to wait for parts to come, and production of new units is higher priority than replacement parts.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I got the quote. It says the helicoil is free, but the labour charges more than make up for it!
    So today, after 6 weeks I got my lens back. Tried it - wouldn't go below 27mm!
    I go ballistic, send a snottygram to Nikon, calm down & pick up the lens again. Guess what?
    Now it's suddenly fine :* So I have to write an apology - sort of - to Nikon. But I promise you it was stuck. I tried shaking it but can't hear anything loose inside. So we'll see
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    @trolley: Thank you for sharing your story. When traveling, tired, and rushed what happened to you is a reminder to us all to be methodical and meticulous regardless of the rush around us, especially in airports.

I am glad your 24-70mm is now working. I can appreciate your panic when your lens stopped at 27mm, your amazement when it inexplicably self-healed, and for your panic at having already written a "snotty-gram" to Nikon. LOL. Trust me, you are not the first and you will not be the last to experience this kind of event.

When you write Nikon emphasize again that the lens was stopping at 27mm and that although the lens apparently self-healed it remains a legitimate concern for you regarding the long-term health of the lens.
    I took a photo of where it had stopped, and confirmed it on camera. It has a 6-month warranty, so I'll just monitor it. The concern is that I don't use the lens that often, so I guess more landscapes then :)
    Aaand: Tried it the other week and it jammed all over the place!!!
    Got the name of the Service Centre manager, who has been very apologetic & helpful.
    It's now back in for another repair, but I've been promised faster turnaround this time (assuming they have the spare parts).
    I suggested that Nikon should compensate me over this and was told that "as a company [Nikon] does not offer compensation".
    A bit arrogant I thought
    Can't complain about the service this time around. Lens collected Monday, received by Nikon Tuesday, Fixed by Thursday morning & I got it Friday midday. And seemingly all working. Pity they couldn't get it right the first time
    Practice makes perfect.