Migrating settings D810 -> D850

I am expecting my D850 one of the next days, and I was wondering if I should expect to be able to save the settings on my D810, and load them on the D850? Otherwise I need to start writing them all down...

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2017
    Settings cannot be transferred between body types, due to different firmware. Two cameras of the same type, D810 -> D810, no problem. D810 -> D850/D5/D500/D7xxx/D5xxx/D3xxx no go.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Damn... I was hoping I could get all my tweaks transferred instantly.

Thanks for the info!
    In that we can save the settings, is there a tool which we can run on a Mac, read these settings, perhaps modify, and upload to a camera? I'd even be happy if I could "copy" the settings to Excel, just for storing them...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't think there is anything like that, since the settings are saved in a propitiatory format. I've tried opening the BIN files the settings are saved in, and just get errors from any software I've tried.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    What does he use in his videos, the guy from Backcountry Gallery?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Killerbob said:

What does he use in his videos, the guy from Backcountry Gallery?

Your talking about Steve Perry. Over in the other thread I added the link for his unbox video and menu set-up. Now to your question....I saw that in an older video and don't remember. Part of the aging process. :)
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |