D7500 backward step ?:

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It's common to get better battery performance when using the camera heavily. I would often outstrip the CPA battery ratings when using fast bursts on the D300/D700 with the grip (8FPS). Of course those cameras were rated for less than 1000 shots.

The modern cameras can easily get to 1000 frames, unless you leave WIFI/Bluetooth turned on.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I recommend pulling your,battery down on your Nikon DSLR to at least 30 percent. If you charge closer to full power the battery gets a shorter battery life. Sure happens with many battery systems. I worked in military police for some years and they had some serious radio systems, but if,batteries were charged when they were not drawn down they hit a shorter power charge. We also know this happens to quadcopter batteries.

To PB PM In my family, my son is a serious photographer and his principle advertising for his company is photography, my oldest grandson is a full time video photographer. I know we have well over 70 cameras. Starting with RED and for,a Nikon's it is a lot. Strangely though I own mostly DX Nikons. Considering how many big film cameras I had the switch to DX is amazing. Depth of field though is one of my greatest concerns. "There is another reason for DX Nikons. The quality and speed I feel is phenomenal.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    DaveyJ said:

Considering how many big film cameras I had the switch to DX is amazing. Depth of field though is one of my greatest concerns.

Me too, but I find DX sensor still too large and am thinking of trying M4/3 or smaller to gain DoF. My subjects are around in decent light so I don't care about noise in low light.
    Always learning.
    I have had amazing video results with a couple of Nikon 1s. Our favorite Nikon 1 though is easily the Nikon 1 AW 1. That camera gets a lot of underwater use! I have been amazed at M4/3rds. However I am reluctant to go any smaller.
    Some really amazing D7500 attributes might not work as well in an underwater housing. We have one on our D500 and it is rated to 200 foot depth, it is not yet really field tested. Soon we will get everything tested with Hurricane Irma.
  • scottcarruthscottcarruth Posts: 5Member
    I’ve read through these posts to see if it has previously been mentioned, let me apologize in advice if it has and I overlooked. I like to use a wireless shutter release for taking firework shots. I could sit behind me camera, enjoy the show, and still take intermittent, long exposures, etc... with my Nikon wireless remote that used IR on the D7200. I was surprised when the D7500 arrived Nikon only places 1 IR sensor, and it is on the front of the camera. The D7200 has 2 IR sensors, one in front and one on back. Anyone know why Nikon made the change to only one sensor? I understand there are other options I can do, but I really liked my previous workflow with the D7200, just curious as why the change? Also, is anyone else disappointed with the change?

Thanks!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

I’ve read through these posts to see if it has previously been mentioned, let me apologize in advice if it has and I overlooked. I like to use a wireless shutter release for taking firework shots. I could sit behind me camera, enjoy the show, and still take intermittent, long exposures, etc... with my Nikon wireless remote that used IR on the D7200. I was surprised when the D7500 arrived Nikon only places 1 IR sensor, and it is on the front of the camera. The D7200 has 2 IR sensors, one in front and one on back. Anyone know why Nikon made the change to only one sensor? I understand there are other options I can do, but I really liked my previous workflow with the D7200, just curious as why the change? Also, is anyone else disappointed with the change?

Thanks!

That is a little disappointing, but with the bluetooth capability of the D7500 I think you can trigger the camera with an app on your phone.

I don't own a D7500, but I think that's your best bet right now.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    From my viewpoint the D7500 is easily better than the D7200 at suoertelephoto stuff and certainly video. On the other hand the single IR sensor I did not realize yet. Right now I am nit using that feature, so I missed it. I still use the D7200 every day and the D7500 everyday.
    For what it is worth, my technique for shooting fireworks is to use a wired release in bulb mode so I can shut the shutter at the best moment in the display not some preset interval.
    Always learning.
    So Thom Hogan put out his review of the D7500. Any DX shooters end up picking this camera up?

Any opinions now that this camera has been out a couple months?

http://dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d7500-camera-review.html

Overall it seems like a worthy successor to the D7200, and if my D7000 were to kick the bucket it seems like it would be a perfectly suitable upgrade for me.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Did not know that about the single IR sensor. That kind of stinks. I use the IR remote feature quite often on my D5500, and usually use the rear sensor.

I'm really at a loss as to where I could go if I wanted to upgrade from my D5500. It seems like image quality doesn't get a whole lot better with the more expensive models. You do get features that I currently don't really seem to need, like high FPS or the ability to use old AIS lenses. But you lose things I do use like the IR sensors and most importantly to me the swivel flip out LCD screen. I use that quite a bit to frame shots in extremely tight places where there isn't room for me to be behind the camera. None of the higher end cameras has the same functionality. I guess I could use the app and frame with my phone.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    edited April 2018
    @mhedges - true, it's not image quality that improves, if you do a DX upgrade, and the D5500 is certainly not an old camera.
    Personally, the D7500 specs are not far from the D400 specs that many would have "settled for" before the D500 appeared. I would have bought it for sure, if it had been announced before the D500.
    Post edited by Sports on
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    @NSXTypeR : If I had to choose between the D7500 and the D7200, I would go for the D7200. Do you need better AF (the D7200 isnt bad if you aren't shooting motorsport of birds in flight)? I haven't seen any of your work that shouts D7500 at me, but the D7200 is sooo much better than your D7000. Believe me, you would LOVE the D7200.
    Always learning.

@NSXTypeR : If I had to choose between the D7500 and the D7200, I would go for the D7200. Do you need better AF (the D7200 isnt bad if you aren't shooting motorsport of birds in flight)? I haven't seen any of your work that shouts D7500 at me, but the D7200 is sooo much better than your D7000. Believe me, you would LOVE the D7200.

I don't doubt the D7200 is a better camera than the D7000, and you're right, I don't tend to shoot any action shots. Any particular reason you wouldn't choose the D7500?
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    The grip to me is all the reason I need not to get a D7500. My D7200 sits next to my D500 in my bag. One for things that move fast and one for things that don't.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Lest some folks get the idea that the D7200 is useless for anything traveling at much more than a walking pace. I have used mine for years at various automobile and motorcycle races. No doubt the D500 will outperform it, but the 7200 will hold its own. Even shooting auto endurance races in the middle of the night. And, as a bonus, you only need one type of memory card. :)
    That about sums it up NSX. D90 to D7000 was a big IQ jump, then D7000 to D7100 was a very big low light improvement but D7100 to D7200 and onward was smaller jumps. D7500? A bit like a motor-sailing yacht I suppose, as a motor boat or a sailing boat it is not so good.

I can only say that if I was offered one or the other, I would go D7200 happily.
    Always learning.
    I shoot sports and wildlife with the D7200 and D500 side by side. Lot faster than changing lenses. Wish the D500 had the 9 point focus option. For BIF and a few real fast things I like the faster frame rate and deeper buffer of the D500. I use the D7200 when I think a few more MP may help.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    @retread : out of curiosity, which lenses do you mount on which body?
    @Capt_Spaulding : Indoors usually a 70-200 on the D500 and a 24-70 on the D7200.
    Outdoors usually a 70-200 on the D500 and sometimes a 150-600 before the sun goes down for the long shots from behind the centerfield fence to get the catchers face and the pitchers back. I have not had the D7200 long enough to do any summer sports but just acquired a 120-300 sport lens. I plan to put the sport lens on the D500 and the 70-200 on the D7200. Out doors I use a monopod most of the time. The sport lens with the D500 and grip are 11 pounds. I have shot BIF hand held but it gets heavy.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Personally, I'd go for the D7500 over the D7200. I'm not bothered by the lack of grip, card slot, or AI lens support, and I like many of the things they added to the D7500, such as:

- Lighter weight and more nimble ergonomics.
    - Faster FPS (I've missed the perfect shot fairly often on the D7100).
    - Deeper buffer
    - Slightly better low light/hi ISO performance
    - Much higher res meter with better subject tracking
    - Flippy touchscreen
    - Group Area AF
    - Auto AF Fine Tune
    - Snapbridge (would be really handy if they ever get it working correctly)
    - Subjectively smoother/less shocking shutter (vs. D7100, not sure how D7200 is though).

Just to name a few.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    edited April 2018
    BVS said:

Personally, I'd go for the D7500 over the D7200. I'm not bothered by the lack of grip, card slot, or AI lens support, and I like many of the things they added to the D7500, such as:

- Lighter weight and more nimble ergonomics.
    - Faster FPS (I've missed the perfect shot fairly often on the D7100).
    - Deeper buffer
    - Slightly better low light/hi ISO performance
    - Much higher res meter with better subject tracking
    - Flippy touchscreen
    - Group Area AF
    - Auto AF Fine Tune
    - Snapbridge (would be really handy if they ever get it working correctly)
    - Subjectively smoother/less shocking shutter (vs. D7100, not sure how D7200 is though).

Just to name a few.

As a DX shooter, that's what I'm inclined for too.

AI lens support was nice to have, but I only have 1 AI lens and I barely ever use it. Battery grip support is nice too, but it's an expensive and heavy option that I'd never use. Dual card slot is nice too... but I've never used that on the D7000 so I doubt I'd need that on the D7500.

Interesting to pick all these DX shooters for their thoughts on the D7500. I think the overall improvement in image quality, deeper buffer, flipping screen and AF performance is a worthy upgrade, even if it's not a significant upgrade from D7200 to D7500. I feel like if I move from a D7000 to a D7200 it'd be a huge jump, and to a D7500 a quantum leap almost. In a way, an even more significant jump for me from a D40 to a D7000.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    Although the D7500 has quite a few incremental improvements over the D7200, the dual SD slots of the D7200 may still make it the better choice as a travel camera for those who don’t travel with separate backup storage.

Carrying your backup separate from the camera is an additional level of security in case of camera loss or theft. It only takes a minute to periodically pop the backup SD card into the camera’s second slot, copy the latest folder, and then remove the card again.

The negligible cost, space, and weight savings to manufacture the D7500 with one less slot were clearly not the motives. So the reason must be the marketing jerks pulling their usual manipulative stunt of crippling the lower model to artificially inflate the difference with the higher model.
    HankB said:

Although the D7500 has quite a few incremental improvements over the D7200, the dual SD slots of the D7200 may still make it the better choice as a travel camera for those who don’t travel with separate backup storage.

Carrying your backup separate from the camera is an additional level of security in case of camera loss or theft. It only takes a minute to periodically pop the backup SD card into the camera’s second slot, copy the latest folder, and then remove the card again.

The negligible cost, space, and weight savings to manufacture the D7500 with one less slot were clearly not the motives. So the reason must be the marketing jerks pulling their usual manipulative stunt of crippling the lower model to artificially inflate the difference with the higher model.

I think Nikon made it that way so there's another model of the D7500 or D500 to make. Thom Hogan had predicted that the D500 could continue to iterate upwards and end up being a D500 in D5 body, meaning built in grip with DX sensor. Then the D7500 can be replaced properly, and become a D7200-like camera with detachable grip, flash and dual card slots.

It makes perfect sense, but knowing Nikon, it may or may not happen. That being said, that is the next logical step for DX cameras to move into. If that were to happen, it would make a lot of DX shooters happy.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    NSXTypeR said:

Thom Hogan had predicted that the D500 could continue to iterate upwards and end up being a D500 in D5 body

This is no longer possible. The D850 is FX, high-MP, AND a pretty fast camera, so a DX that gets close to the D850 price has no chance.
    If the D800 series had stayed a "slow-ish" camera, then perhaps ....
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110