Extension rings for macro photography

I want to buy Extension rings for macro photography. I have an Nikon 105mm macro lens and i have heard about 3rdparty extension rings that are cheaper than the Nikon ones. Do you have something in mind? I also know that i must get ones that will not disable AutoFocus etc. what must i be looking for because i have seen on ebay some really cheap ones!
Tagged:

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Kenko is the only real alternative. I have all three and use them on my 200 f/4.0 Macro.
  • zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
    Why would Kenko be the real & only alternative?
    Also, i find some other Extension Rings in ebay cheap that are marked as K or PK, are they ones without "contacts"? What name would the right one so that they would work on my D7000?
    I believe (meaning I might be wrong) that they are the only ones that retain full functionality with "G" or later lenses. That was the factor that led me to buy the Kenko. And for USD124.00 at B&H, how can you go wrong?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Does Nikon even make official extension tubes? And yes, Kenko is the only name that gets tossed around on the forums, and even though I haven't used them, I've certainly heard the name multiple times now.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • NIKONTNNIKONTN Posts: 80Member
    I have a set of Kenko and they work like WestEndFoto said.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2017
    NSXTypeR said:

Does Nikon even make official extension tubes? And yes, Kenko is the only name that gets tossed around on the forums, and even though I haven't used them, I've certainly heard the name multiple times now.

Nikon had a set of AI/AI-S extension tubes, but they are not chipped, so no AF, and on low end bodies no metering. Not sure if they are still available new or not.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
    edited October 2017
    Guys here is a very strange issue im encountering. What is the problem with these Kenko Extension rings here? They seem to be different in the Grip, could one of the two be fake? The ones that you have and are original Kenko ones, to which of the two do they look alike?
    Post edited by zoran on
    Mine look precisely like the tubes on the left - Nikon. It may very well be that the tubes for Canon look like the tubes on the right. I don't know.