D7200 information display appears on LCD

NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
The appearance of the information display on the LCD every time I change ISO is extremely annoying. It disappears when I press the shutter, but I do not want it to appear in the first place. I have no use whatsoever for this feature. Is there any way to turn this off? I'm a wildlife photographer who uses the viewfinder, and this momentarily distracts my attention from my subjects and unnecessarily consumes battery power.

My D7100s don't do this (did I set them up somehow to avoid this and forget?), and I am beginning to regret my purchase, although otherwise I'm enjoying the camera.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Sadly this is the way Nikon is doing things with the consumer cameras now. Now idea why, when these cameras have the top LCD.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    I think there is a setting. The D7500 does the same thing but there is a setting to turn it off.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    If there's not a setting, turning on Easy ISO or mapping the record button to change ISO might do the trick.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sounds like my D750 - I've tried to turn that off but can't seem to find it. Not the end of the world to me, but silly not to be able to turn it off. Maybe it's because the top LCD doesn't have the good amount of info on it that the D7100's does.
    Always learning.
  • NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
    Dang. Ah, well. Maybe there will be a firmware update someday. Meanwhile, this weekend I'll explore the Easy ISO option and seeing if the involving the record button will work. My searches for a setting (in the camera, in the manual, and online) came up empty, hence my query here.

If I didn't need to check images now and then, I'd be tempted to devise a way to cover the display.

I presume that the D850 doesn't have this "it's-not-a-bug-it's-a-feature."

Thanks, everyone! I'll post a reply if I have any luck.
    I have already changed my record button to set ISO and the screen still flashes on. To be honest, I don't see it as the problem that you do and one of my main genres is nightscapes so the screen coming on is most unwelcome.
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    If you set the display to white on dark it will minimize the glare when the screen is illuminated. I'm not that keen on easy ISO because of clumsy thumbs.
    edited September 2017
    Yes. The great thing about a Nikon is that it has two wheels right under your finger and thumb. The bad thing is that they are easily moved when handling the camera because they are right under your finger and thumb. ;)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    "Easy ISO" has one benefit not yet mentioned, it displays the actual setting in the viewfinder. This is a significant benefit ESPECIALLY if you are using auto ISO.

The term "Trust but verify" has been in the news. Auto ISO is especially valuable when you can verify in realtime.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Actually, the appearance in the viewfinder is what led me to try it. In the end I realized having it (ISO) in the VF was a good thing because at least I'd have a reference to know when I'd clumsily moved the wheel and F'd up the image I just took. :(