Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2

What are your thoughts on this updated version? I'm between this one and the old Nikkor 24-70 with no VR, I will mostly use it for travelling and MAYBE sometimes on a fashion shoot with studio flashes. My main concern is actually about quality control, I've read somewhere that you might end up getting a bad copy and I wouldn't be able to return it if that happens.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If you are concerned about issues and compatibility beyond your current camera, the Nikkor is the answer. If you are okay with a higher chance of having compatability issues the Tamron is fine. You can still get bad copies from Nikon, no brand is perfect.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Where on the planet are you Juan? Most places have a return policy if you buy new and are unhappy.
    Always learning.
  • juanmrojasjuanmrojas Posts: 10Member
    null
    I'm in Argentina spraynpray, where I can't even get that lens, so an American friend who is coming to visit will bring it to me, and it wouldn't really be cost effective for me to buy a plane ticket all the way to the U.S.A. just to return it lol
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Then buy the Nikkor.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 736Member
    I noticed the blog points to the Black Friday pricing on the Tammies as being live now. I checked B&H, Adorama, and Amazon, and still see the 24-70 and 70-200 G2 lens prices at MSRP (I think). Am I missing something?
  • juanmrojasjuanmrojas Posts: 10Member

Then buy the Nikkor.

Will do.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 736Member
    edited November 2017
    I apparently misread the add copy. I thought Tamron was putting the G2 versions of the 24-70 and 70-200 on sale. It appears I was mistaken.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member

Then buy the Nikkor.

Will do.
    I think you will enjoy this lens. I dismissed the midrange zoom. I am generally a prime shooter. I only got this lens because as the "guy with the camera", I often get asked to shoot events. Changing primes in the rain where IQ is not that critical was not my idea of fun, so I got this lens.

And I am pleasantly surprised. Very sharp corner to corner which is an attribute that I have come to appreciate more as I often find my self composing with the subject on the edge. Also, the VR let's me get shots down to a fifth of a second. I just shoot in continuous and take ten shots. Two or three will be sharp. My only complaint is that Nikon needs to program their Auto-ISO to allow for VR. Even allowing me to lower the minimum shutter speed by more than a couple of stops would be useful.

For this reason, this has turned out to be a good street photography lens.

My only complaint is that my composition suffers with the zoom. I probably get more shots with the zoom, but despite the fact that I am changing lens, even in a street setting, I get more great shots with a prime.

So with this caveat, I am not dismissing the mid-range zoom anymore.