?: Refurbished Nikon D810 or new Nikon D850

2»

Comments

• HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    There are several reviews out now on the 850. Fro Knows is the latest that I know of. And I've only heard spectacular things about the 850.

• greyhoundrickgreyhoundrick Posts: 16Member
    Hiker said:

There are several reviews out now on the 850. Fro Knows is the latest that I know of. And I've only heard spectacular things about the 850.

Exactly! I think it has "legendary" written all over it! :)

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2017
    D850, continuing the excellent legacy of the prosumer class cameras; F100, D700, D800, D810 etc that came before it. The only difference? $2.5k price hike in 17 years. Nikon executives are laughing all the way to the bank. ;)
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    PB_PM said:

D850, continuing the excellent legacy of the prosumer class cameras; F100, D700, D800, D810 etc that came before it. The only difference? $2.5k price hike in 17 years. Nikon executives are laughing all the way to the bank. ;)

Well, there is the little matter of inflation.....
    edited October 2017

PB_PM said:

Well, there is the little matter of inflation.....
    No doubt that inflation is an issue. The F100 was $1400 USD in 1999. Using an inflation calculator, that $2100 USD today. Not really a fair comparison though, since that was a simple film camera right? Lets have a more realistic comparison. The D700 was $2999 USD on release (2008). That's $3300 USD today, so no far off really. Now if only wages went up as fast as inflation...
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • decentristdecentrist Posts: 33Member

Great info. PB_PM! Thank you for the post.

Yesterday I saw a real world review of the D850 by Jared Polin (Fro Knows Photo) on YouTube where he tested the D850 at a moto cross event. He had subjects coming straight at him and also across the viewfinder.

It looks like his results were excellent. I think in one sequence he "hit" 17 out of 19 shots with the motorcycle coming directly at him.

He did not get those results while using 3D Focus Tracking as he also feels that it is not the most reliable of settings.

On a side note...Is the D850 in crop mode exactly like the D500 in terms of pixels and applicable sensor area?

Thanks again for the excellent information!

best,

Rick

the focus performance depends upon the glass you put on the body
  • VisualUniverseVisualUniverse Posts: 11Member
    I have the D810 and D500. Really like them both. I am in no hurry to get the D850...will wait until price comes down or a rebate appears. I'm more excited about the D610 replacement.
  • xc68000xc68000 Posts: 1Member
    Totally disagree with the "always better to buy new" crowd. Unless your a pro it seems foolish to drop that much cash on a pro body when like new d810s are going for less than $1600. Camera equipment depreciates like cars do. Just my opinion and i certainly don't begrudge anyone that does of course.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    The D850 is the way I will go. I like that the control layout is the same as my D500 but it won't come anytime soon. By the time I save for it, it may be a D850(?).

I am at the age my cameras will out live me so want the best I can afford. I don't plan to replace them.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2017
    if you want a Quiet shutter, cheap memory cards for half the price of a D850 then get an 810. The 850 is expensive , Nikons noisiest camera. Silent mode has blackout problems uses expensive cards and in truth is not happy without the grip due to power requirements
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Yes, the D810 is an excellent choice with current price on camera and cards. I am actually thinking about buying a second one. But is the D850 really the noisiest Nikon camera?
    Pistnbroke clearly hasn't much time around the D2/D3 series of cameras I guess, those things are really loud.
    It is a hell of a lot quieter than my D800 or my wife's D5500.
    I agree the D800 was very noisy which is why mine sits with its 14mm 24/7.
    I expect the latest models to be quieter than the 810 which the 850 is not.
    Is it noisier than the D810?
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    Shutter noise is considerably louder on the D850 than the D810. Quiet mode on the D850 is almost as loud as the CH on the D810. Noise is closer to the D5/500. Seems to indicate to me that they took more of the D5 and D500 hardware for the D850 than from the D8XX. Hard to say if that is good or bad, probably depends on what you shoot.
    Thanks Vic ..hands on knowledge is a great thing ..certainly the 850 is inferior to the 810 for a wedding camera or where quiet is the go.
    edited November 2017
    The D810 must have been pretty quiet, because in quiet mode my D850 sure is quiet. It is even quiet in regular mode. Part of me wishes their was a noisy mode on the dial. I like the sound of my D800's shutter.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    If you use the D850's Quiet mode in Live View there is essentially no noise. The D810 in Quiet Mode in Live View there is a clear shutter noise but it is pretty quiet. The D810 is quieter than the D800 in all modes.
    edited November 2017
    Part of the change is the move back to a full a magnesium alloy frame, the carbon fibre front box of the D810 meant less reverberating of the sound of shutter/mirror vibration in the mirrorbox. This is true of all the plastic vs mag alloy Nikon cameras. The D70/D80 were quieter than the D200. The D300/D700 were massively louder than the D90/D7000 for the same reason.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    Quiet mode is rubbish because it makes two clicks and many celebrants are click sensitive and think you have taken twice as many photos as you have
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    PB_PM said:

Part of the change is the move back to a full a magnesium alloy frame, the carbon fibre front box of the D810 meant less reverberating of the sound of shutter/mirror vibration in the mirrorbox. This is true of all the plastic vs mag alloy Nikon cameras. The D70/D80 were quieter than the D200. The D300/D700 were massively louder than the D90/D7000 for the same reason.

My mates 7D2 is much quieter than my D750 or D7100 and the 7D2 is magnesium. His in CH sounds like a high quality sewing machine - sweet. It is also indestructible according to the stats.
    Always learning.
    Canon has a different shutter mechanism, patents and all that jaz, so it’s not real comparable. Personally, I hate the sound of Canon shutters, sounds like a shredder cutting laminated paper.
    Like my wife I wait for silence ..I think its called shut her up