Major help!!

trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
edited November 2017 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
So, out this morning and it was raining a bit. Stuffed my D800 + 200-500 under my coat, and tripped the shutter for 4 or 5 shots. Got to a hide, took the camera out & the LCD screen looks like it's got cracks on it! It hasn't - it's a shot of the inside of my jacket. But it's not on the memory cards, and it won't clear. Not only that, but I can't view anything on the screen, (no menu), nor live view. I'm sure at one point it showed a R11 message on the top plate.
I took a photo afterwards and it saved it to card (I'm back on the home computer), but the screen still won't show anything. I'm going to try a reset - any other ideas?
I should say that the battery was full, and the cards had plenty of room. Removing them still doesn't display menu when pressed.
I need it working for my son's wedding next weekend.
Post edited by trolley on

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    The camera didn't show any error messages?

Try a 2 button reset first. Find the 2 buttons with green dots and hold them for a couple seconds.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    edited November 2017
    Done that. But still no display. I think the ‘cracks’ in the display may be real. And there is an r11 message
    Next step is how much is the cost of repairs. I can still take pictures but I can’t review them
    Post edited by trolley on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2017
    r11 is not any error message. r11 is how many shots can be taken before the buffer fills.

Errors come up as "ERR".

From the sounds of things, all that has happened is that the rear LCD has shattered, behind the glass cover that is over the actual panel. Either that or there is water damage to the panel or one of the controller boards. Either way, I doubt it's a quick fix, unless Nikon has parts in stock.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited November 2017
    If you are in the UK we can help you with the wedding...Or you can phone Lifeline Weddings on 01788 310500 who specialize in providing photographers if you are are ill. You are fortunate that the screen assembly on the D800 can be replaced as a unit on 810 it cannot. DIY they are on ebay.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    My son has already paid for a wedding photographer - I wouldn't trust me to do it!
    I was just going to take photos at the reception & of the family. Which I can do - just no chimping. I will ask Nikon UK how much they want this time and then decide.
    I saw the Ebay screens - I may go down that route
    Some pro wedding photographers tape over the screen when they give a camera to an assistant "paying you to take the next photo not look at the last " so you should be OK !!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yup, no time to chimp at weddings, other than during the time between the main event and the reception anyway. Just take four shots of everything you'd normally take one or two of and you'll likely get more than enough keepers.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited November 2017
    set CL to 2 shots per second to avoid blinkers. Always shoot landscape with a flash in the shoe and crop later //this avoids side shadows. Set auto iso to 200-6400 ...this gives iso 800 with flash ,conserves flash batteries and is not so bright on the eyes. Ensure FP ( flash programme ) is set to 1/320 and flash sync to 1/60

Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Thank you very much.
    Out of interest, has anyone had a monitor screen LCD replaced by Nikon, and if so, how much?
    I think I'll get a second quote
    Looks like a visit to sunny Stoke on Monday for repairs.
    I'll let you know how it goes - they reckon 7-10 days, so don't hold your breath :D
    And guess what?
    They've sent it to Nikon in London, who don't have one of the parts. So now it's no camera for 5 weeks - and counting!
    I don't believe this!!
    I got my camera back after 7 weeks & used it the last 2 weekends. Shot a couple of hundred frames, but when I looked last night there's a piece of rubber grip coming loose on the front and the gold FX symbol has fallen out!!!!
    Are they totally incompetent?