Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    So, just got my D750 back from Nikon Serfvice (Austria).. They've replaced the shutter unit.
    Taken several test shots and the problem is gone :) :)
    It is probably just my imagination, but I think the shutter sounds a little quieter.. ;)

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I am bringing this thread back to life. I have owned my D750 for just over two years and it's excellent. After 20K images I have learned most of the features and continue to be impressed with it's image quality.

Today I talked to a Regional Nikon representative and we were discussing the timing for the D750 replacement. I learned the following:
    1. The D750 is Nikon's #1 selling Full Frame DSLR. I asked him about the D610 and he said it was not close, the D750 is the volume mover.
    2. The D810 will be upgraded before the D750.
    3. The D750 replacement will not be announced until late 2017 or the first photo show in 2018. No teasers on what is changing.

So my question to you D750 users...what do you want to see in the replacement?

I'll start it off:
    1. New sensor.
    2. Back focus button so I don't have to reconfigure the existing AE button.
    3. Continued improvement in noise level at ISO settings about 3200. I like to shoot in museums and most of that is at ISO 6,000 to 10,000.
    4. Minor improvement in FPM rating. Does not have to be 10 FPM.
    5. ISO button moved to top near the shutter release.
    6. Another function button. I love customizing my D750.
    7. U1 and U2 buttons on top like my D7100.

Trying to think what is on the D810 and D500 that make sense for the best selling Full Frame DSLR. What do you want in the D760?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2016
    I dont think the next iteration will be much of a core photographic improvement. by that I mean it will probably only be a realignment to the new nikon environment. ie Snap bridge, touch screen, new Expeed( which means slightly better ISO, Colour, noise, DR, and slightly faster AF, slightly faster FPS) maybe the new place for the ISO button on top.

Other than that probably nothing much else.

The most excitement will probably come from the D810 replacement !! the most pressure for core change seems to be there. (more MP, new D5 AF)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Photobug Said:
    Photobug said:

5. ISO button moved to top near the shutter release.
    7. U1 and U2 buttons on top like my D7100.

I've got the movie record button on the top assigned for ISO.. (wish I could do that on my D7100) ;)

As for the U1 and U2.. I'm not sure I understand what you mean, @Photobug..
    I have the U1 and U2 options on the control dial on both the D750 and D7100..

The only improvements I'd like on the D750 would be:
    • Widen the AF Area/Points to cover more of the viewfinder
    • Bigger buffer for RAW capture in CH mode plus maybe UHS-II support.
    • Maybe touch screen functionality (e.g to touch the desired focus point in LiveView)
    • Improved Autofocus speed in Liveview,
    (would also like the last 3 on the D7100 too).
    Certainly wouldn't want to lose the WiFi for Snapbridge on the D750

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)

• DaveCDaveC Posts: 12Member
    edited December 2016
    I traded from a D300 to the D750 and there are a few things I miss and would like to see in future. Most of them are to do with the body. I would love a D500 style body with buttons e.g AF and top buttons for ISO, Qual, WB ... With the D300 I was able to change so many things with my left hand, without changing my grip and without removing my eye from the viewfinder.

Yes, wider autofocus area ( I have been experimenting with focus stacking ).

Also, the U1 and U2 options are Ok but I found I miss the 4 Photo Shooting and Custom Control banks.

Focus peaking for video.
    Post edited by DaveC on
    D750. Vixia HV30, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon 70-300mm f 4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 50mm f 1.8G G, Speedlight SB 600. Nikon Aw100.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited December 2016
    As an outsider to the FX Nikon movement, I have been considering a D750. I have been using D7200 and almost everyone from the D100 to the D7000 series, and a D500. Still not sure what I would get. My exposure to the entry level Nikon DSLRs though gives me MUCH pause as the D3400 was a disaster from my standpoint and if that crippling reverse evolution settles in the D750 replacement could be tragic! The D750 seems by all accounts to be the best bang for the buck in Nikon FX. I have Webb checking on pricing and almost cerrrainly would buy a new one, not refurbished.....I did own a D700 but I had a rare opportunity to sell it for what I had in it, and due to NO video I ditched it! The D750 looks very promising. Too bad "retirement" just as much work....far less income"..has kicked the daylights out of my ability to purchase things I don't NEED. Farming is NOT an easy way of life. Very few in this industry do any photography.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    I just filled out a request to send my D750 & 24-70 F/2.8 lens back to Nikon due to shutter issues when first turned on. Anyone else encounter this problem?

When you turn on the camera about 80% of the time the shutter locks on the first shot requiring a second press of the shutter release button to unlock the shutter. Picture is almost always a black image. Then no problems on other pictures. Rarely when you turn it on another time will it lock again on 1st picture. Normally that does not happen.

This happens with the 24-70mm but not a 50mm or 105 or 35mm Nikon lens. Did happen once with the 70-200mm lens.

Got to get this fixed and working. Plan to sell it as soon as the D750 replacement is announced next month or QTR 1.

Shutter count is 21,013 on this shutter. Yes, it has the black dot in the tripod socket and yes it was also sent back for other issues. So it's been recalled twice.

I did the basic troubleshooting and it still fails on first shot 4 out of 5 times. I did a two-button reset, reset custom settings and the shooting menu that the Nikon Tech Represented requested.

Unfortunately the D750 is out of warranty and the 24-70 is still under warranty.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2017
    Never had that with the D750, or any other camera for that matter. Sounds very strange that the lens used made a difference. Cannot say I’ve been super impressed with my D750, feels like a lemon. Won’t be buying a camera in this price class again, too much corner cutting to make the low cost FX body, which we first saw with the D600 and the oil problem.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Just thought of a possibility, it may not be the D750 shutter that's the problem, it could be an issue with the lenses aperture blades not working properly.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Photobug said:

I just filled out a request to send my D750 & 24-70 F/2.8 lens back to Nikon due to shutter issues when first turned on. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Nope.
    Photobug said:

Unfortunately the D750 is out of warranty and the 24-70 is still under warranty.

If it is related to a recall problem, I would expect Nikon to fix it free anyway.
    Always learning.
    PB_PM said:

Just thought of a possibility, it may not be the D750 shutter that's the problem, it could be an issue with the lenses aperture blades not working properly.

Never thought of that, could be.

Photobug said:

Nope.
    Photobug said:

If it is related to a recall problem, I would expect Nikon to fix it free anyway.
    It was recalled twice for service advisories. The last one they replaced the shutter mechanism. My concern is that there is no warranty and I will be stuck with the cost of repair.

I am siting on a bunch of money since March and planned to sell this D750 + the cash to buy the new replacement model. Realized that it would be difficult to sell a camera that locks up on first picture so sent it for repair.
    My D750 has been a great camera and this has been the only issue. With the falling prices on new D750s the used value on eBay has dropped.

I met with the regional Nikon Sales representative for this area a week ago and he told me that the replacement for the D750 would be announced in January at the electronics show or later in Q1. It's one of 3 new cameras to be released in 2018 - one being a CoolPix and the FF mirror less mid to late 2018.
    Praying for news on the replacement camera for the D750.
  • DaveCDaveC Posts: 12Member
    Photobug said:

Yes, The same problem. My shutter had first been replaced about 18 months ago and the camera was now out of warranty but Nikon did another replacement free of charge. They also did a general cleaning and replaced 3 rubber grips. It seems that replacing grips is a routine item as it has happened every time the camera has gone in for service.

I also had a problem with a dead left microphone. They did not fix this, as I had requested, when they replaced the shutter so I sent the camera back. This time they fixed the microphone, and yet another rubber grip, free of charge. Too bad it took 2 returns to get it all fixed but I was impressed that they did so free of charge.

D750. Vixia HV30, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon 70-300mm f 4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 50mm f 1.8G G, Speedlight SB 600. Nikon Aw100.
    Camera and lens returned on Tuesday. Wow, the D750 looks like a brand new D750 right out of the box.

D750: replaced shutter mechanism, adjusted AF operation, checked communication, firmware upgrade, cleaned CCD, general check and clean. New grips. This was a service repair rank S. Good will repair, no charge.

234-70 f/2.8: Adjust auto focus operation, check optical alignment, checked resolution, checked communication, general check & clean. This was a service repair rank B2. Covered by warranty.

No issue with camera turn on and lock up on first exposure/shutter release.

Happy customer here. Will be out taking pictures the next two days, after I change all my settings back to the way I like the camera to operate.
    Shot over 80 photos today and everything is working nicely. Very very happy.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Thought I would bump this thread to get some more recent comments on if people are still happy with their D750s, since I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one.
    I think I would hesitate to buy a new D750 in 2018, for a few reasons. I highly suspect it will look dated, very soon in terms of features. Keep in mind that this is a camera that was released almost 4 years ago (Sept 2014). I might buy a lightly used model, if the price was right (-$500, or more, less than retail), but not a new one.

All the positive aspects of the camera are still there, from my perspective as an owner over 3 years. The D750 offers a great combination of shooting speed, focus performance, resolution and an okay price point (not bad in the USA, not so much elsewhere). I mention price because, given the age of the camera, it is kind of steep. The var-angel screen is great for video and macro work, but that's true of any camera with that feature. The U1/U2 user modes are great to have, if you are coming from a camera that does not have that. Auto focus is better than some of it's contemporaries in low light, and low light ISO performance is still one of the best available from it's generation. Dynamic range is right up there too.

It's one of the lightest weight and smallest FX DSLRs, not that I notice the difference between it and the D810 in real world use. If you are coming from a semi-pro/pro body, the D750 feels very small and somewhat cramped. The D810 is more comfortable to use over long periods of time, due to the larger grip. Also not all the buttons are ideally placed, for example one of the front function buttons is tucked half under the lens mount, kind of poor placement.

Battery life, when used heavily, is great. If you are shooting a lot, you are more likely to be switching memory cards (16GB cards) than batteries. If you use 32+GB cards, then, you'll need to swap batteries more often. ;)

Things I don't like, the tighter layout of the 51 point AF system in this camera is extremely limiting in terms of framing (when compared to every other camera with this system). Focus and recompose is fine, but if the subject is moving the limitation really sticks out. The square eyepiece, true of all the lower end Nikon bodies, is just not as comfortable as the round-eyepiece, at least without a third party eye-cup. The orientation of the battery is the opposite of just about every other Nikon body, and even after 3 years of ownership I'm still not use to it and have look when loading a battery.
    Thanks. I just got a chance to play with one at Best Buy and agree the AF point placement is very tight. They had pretty much the entire line there and I tried them all. I may go with a 7200 - the viewfinder is still a big step up from my 5500- and has better AF coverage. Plus then I wouldn’t have to replace my entire lens lineup. I kinda hate losing the flip touch screen but what are you gonna do.
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    The d750 would be a great candidate for d3x00 and d5x00 users looking to move to fx. I strongly recommend renting the camera for a couple of days to really try it out. The perspective change of going to fx is big deal if you have never tried it.

Here is my pros for the d750:
    I like the viewfinder, it's easier to see if things are in focus and in really dim lighting you can see better.
    It's amazing in low light. It captures more details in the shadows.
    The focusing works better.

Cons:
    The focus points can be a pain when you are trying to focus at the corners.
    Dual cards are great for backup but remember you will need double the cards
    It's a bigger camera physically.
    Getting used to the change in perspective takes some time initially.

For d7x00 users, I would recommend looking at the d810 instead it's priced well right now and offers pro controls.
    edited June 2018
    Thanks. I did go ahead and order a 7200, but the D750 certainly was very nice. I liked the grip on the 750 better - it was more similar to the deep grip on my 5500. But as mentioned I didn’t like the AF point layout and the more I thought about it I couldn’t justify the $$ considering I would need to replace all my lenses. Not with mirrorless and a new mount on the horizon.

And it may sound silly but I almost thought the 750 viewfinder was too big. I’m sure I would have gotten used to it but in hand it was hard for me to see the whole frame at once. The 7200 seemed to be more in the Goldilocks zone for me.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Good choice either way. I'm sure you'll be happy.
    Always learning.
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    It's not a bad move on your part. Especially when you consider the lenses you own. I was at a crossroads two years ago with dx and Nikon in general. I didn't really like the lenses that I owned and wanted to move up from the d5200. You have to find what works for you. Fortunately having to choose between a d7200 and d750 means that you win either way.
    Yeah I’m fairly happy with the lenses I have. And to replace them with FX equivalents would be a bit expensive, at least for for the wide angle and the telephoto zooms. I could justify it if I thought I’d be keeping them for 5+ years but that’s not certain with mirrorless coming.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Since you're happy with your current lens stable for the moment it makes sense to "dance with the one(s) that brung ya." The D7200 is very good and you may never decide to go FF, but if you make any future lens purchases from the FX line, when/if you decide to go to a FF dslr you'll have lenses that will work with both bodies.