D5100 stucks in Flash-mode

AvSambeekAvSambeek Posts: 6Member
When I turn on my camera, the display only gives a Flash-mode screen. I can make normal pictures, but they are not visible on the screen anymore (photos are visible via PC). Camera reset with the 2 green buttons didn't help. Also taking of the battery for a 1 hour or longer doesn't help. What can I do more?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    What shooting mode is the dial set to? Auto? P? A? S? M?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2017
    Is the built in flash clicking up? Try bringing it up and taking a picture ..
    Are you doing this inside or outside ?
    the fact that you have no image review is worrying/
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • AvSambeekAvSambeek Posts: 6Member
    The shooting mode doesn't matter (Auto, P, A etc). Only the picture in the screen is changing (dial). When I want to make a flash photo, the flash won't come up. When I force it than the flash is working normal, outside and inside. Some connection with flash not ok?
    edited December 2017
    It’s possible that the button for the flash has failed, in the pressed position, which would explain why flash settings are always on the screen. Does pressing and holding the flash button on the front side do anything once the flash is already popped up?
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    No, when I push the button while the flash is up (forced), the screen doesn't change. In the screen I can change the presetting of the flash, with the black wheel, but I can't confirm it. All other button are not working. Is the camera in some kind of locked mode?
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    My guess is that you have a hardware problem specifically in the electronics. On my D7200 for example, continuously holding down the flash button will not prevent normal response to depressing the shutter button — the screen will go dark when the shutter release is touched; it will take a properly exposed flash picture when fully depressed; and will take a properly exposed picture without flash if the flash popup is held down. Holding down the flash button only suppresses response to the other small buttons on the camera.

However, there is nothing to lose by trying a two button reset though I suspect it really isn't a full system reboot.

Good luck
    edited December 2017
    Have you tried an external flash in the shoe //sounds silly but the camera has a different response to external and internal flash.
    I also note that when doing the two button reset that the screen should go off momentarily before coming on again...is it doing that ?
    @HankB: I already tried the two button reset, but the camera isn't responding on that action.
    @Pistnbroke : I did't tried that one yet. When I do the two button reset, the screen doesn't react at all. It stays the same, no black screen or flickering.
    When I put the camera on the P-mode and than the power on, the flash comes up. However the screen stays the same...
    edited December 2017
    If it is bust it will probably cost more to repair than to replace $200
    I called with Nikon and I did everything I could do. Now I have the choice to send it for repair or leave it like this...
    Thanks all for responding.
    Kind of figured it would require a trip to Nikon, hopefully it’s nothing big.
    The clue is in its failure to respond by flashing the screen when you do a two button reset