REVIEW OF YN622 REMOTE FLASH SYSTEM V GODOX X1

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited December 2017 in Nikon Flashes

I have owned the Yongnuo system for a couple of years and recently purchased the TX unit. As you will see the YN system is not satisfactory for my use.

The YN system has evolved from  using identical YN622N units one for the camera and others for remote flashes  to a system using a yn622TXon camera and YN622N with the remote flashes.  Two or more YN622N work perfectly with cameras of the D7100 era but become erratic with the D810 . iTTL and manual are available with both systems the powers being set on the camera transmitter unit. The buttons are easy to knock so you are always checking you have the green leds matching TX to RX...
Using the YN622TX on the D810 removes all the strange behaviour but the evolution leave two big flaws.
The YN622TX has no shoe to mount an on camera flash, the system does not like any sort of cables so its not possible to have the TX and an on camera flash.  That is essential for me at weddings as I want one flash on the camera over the lens and another behind the bride.
The other problem relates to the YN622N which has a foot with pins (for when its on a camera) but that means you cannot mount it onto any sort of metal shoe and it has no tripod boss. A plastic adaptor is available.
The Godox system sorts all this out and at a similar price (one TX and one RX for $60) .The TX has a flash shoe,it does not seem to mind cables between it and the camera or it and the flash gun. Additionally it has an on/off switch for a focus lazer.
You don't need a remote unit to actuate the lazer ..ideal for churches .
The RX unit has a shoe fitting and a threaded boss with no pins.
Both systems are easy to set once you get your brain switched on.

YN  4 stars
Goddox 5 stars
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    OK, that's good info for me, thanks.

I have Yongnuo the TX, with a couple of YN685 (with trigger in it) flashes and some old YN560's, works perfect for me. never use a flash on my camera in my kind of photography no need for a passthrough.

Yongnuo is far behind in it's development, because there is no growing system as others have, they don't make HSS, battery powered studio flashes, which can be used together with the YN622 system and there is no sign those lights will come. This is another reason for me to buy Godox in the future.

Also the TX limits to 3 groups, enough for me, but this can be useless for others. My small Yongnuo system is still good, but not anymore when it does not work on the D810 and maybe other new camera's and that's ............. not that clever from Yongnuo.

Oh, I also put the TX on the D600 only for focussing in the dark, this camera is not that good in there and need help :).
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2017
    Looks like with Godox you can have 5 groups so that's 15 flashes plus the one on the TX.
    I don't think that its a simple link through more like it adds another flash . You can see the pre flashes going off on all the guns and no messing about with green lights !!!
    Even turns the LCD illuminator on automatically when its dark ! I was using YN 565 on the remote and SB400 on the TX with no problems./
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    If you don't have any flashes then the purchase of a Godox TT series gets you started in the camera shoe. The purchase of another TT gives you remote iTTL use without purchasing the X1 TX and RX ..If you want to incorporate other iTTL guns in the system ( Nikon yongnuo etc) then you do need the X1 TX/RX.
    evolving technology
    edited December 2017
    Yep, great tip, but when you have the X1 with the X1R, you can use them as remote wireless trigger too. At this moment in time, I should go for Godox, many more possibilities.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    UPDATE
    As with all these things the makers don't make it easy.....
    Beware flash guns that are quoted as suitable for Nikon Canon Olympus etc as these are not iTTL guns
    ie the TT520 is a slave with a 433Mhz trigger ..basically its manual as is the TT560.
    The TT600 is 2.4 Ghz can be triggered in iTTL by an X1 TX (N) but is not usable in the shoe except in manual.
    The TT 685 or V860 are 2.4GHz can be used in the shoe or as remotes as they contain the necessary receivers.
    If a gun has a letter after it dedicating it to a particular brand ie N,C,S,F, O then its usable in the shoe of that brand and is iTTL
    edited February 2018
    Well Pistnbroke, I'am going to switch to Godox, due to the complete cheap and good system they have. Did you see the mini Godox tt350, wow. The Yongnuo system works fine for me, but development stopped, no news for too long time.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Glad my review helped you ..TT350 feeds my love of small guns