Why does Nikon Rumors use this forum software?

I am a member on a number of forums, whether it be camera stuff, car stuff, led stuff, you name it and the forum software we use here seems very out dated, un-organized, etc and it cannot handle css or skinning very well.

Can't we do better than this?
||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I, too, participate on a number of forums; those too are not without flaws; hence, many of the same characteristics as you pointed to. Be that as it may be, I'm always able to get to the info I seek...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I think the move to this format came about due to the cost, and security issues, of some of the other forum software out there. It may not be the best, but it works for the most part.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Does anyone know how to change your signature line? I've never been able to figure it out since the forum changed a while back.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I think it is easier to follow this forum than others. I have not joined any others because of that.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    There are not a vast amount of posts per day so no need to split it up into numerous sections. I have seen one good idea which lists posts since you last visited .
    I think this is ok for the traffic on the site.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited January 2018
    As one that own and runs on online boards for over 20 years. The best one is the one the owner get familiar with. I've change several times and it always take a year or two to know how fix it when it breaks. It's more than what's on the front end.

Now keeping the hackers out of your server is another battle that's constant.

Don't mess with what's not broken is my policy.

This is a nice community of like minded folks, I like it as is.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    BVS said:

Does anyone know how to change your signature line? I've never been able to figure it out since the forum changed a while back.

I think it broke in one of the upgrades.. so you cant change your sig .. maybe in the next software upgrade.. :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

retread....I have joined many forums but always get thrown off ....
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2018

:-) I think you almost got thrown off here too ... heh ...

then we got used to you ...

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I feel loved here.
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    I'm with everyone else, there are not enough posts to justify anything fancy. The search tool works well enough. For myself, all of the relevant posts are on the first page anyways.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

:-) I think you almost got thrown off here too ... heh ...

then we got used to you ...

LMAO! Hearty, you are a wag!
    Always learning.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I don't mind this setup, except for the signature issue. That bug seems squashable - or at least we should be able to have a moderator manually update us. I haven't had the 18-105 for years!
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member

I don't mind this setup, except for the signature issue. That bug seems squashable - or at least we should be able to have a moderator manually update us. I haven't had the 18-105 for years!

I think if we make a moderator start updating everyone manually the bug will get fixed pretty quickly. :)
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    If the mods could do it, theirs would be done - duh...
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

If the mods could do it, theirs would be done - duh...

Did Peter cripple you?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    They are mods, not administrators. In forum speak that means the only power they have is in terms of comments and threads. They don't have access to the forum software.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Correct.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    My only issue with the software is that you have to go through two screens to see your notifications. Unless I'm doing it wrong?
    No you aren't, it is a bit clunky in that area. It may not be the best in terms of what we would like it to be, but I am sure Peter has his reasons for using it.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited April 2018
    I was hoping that we'd get the option to choose the thread page from the forum home screen. Sometimes you know you haven't been to a thread in a while and you know you won't want to start from the last page.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    ?? I don't understand NSX, If you are signed in, you are automatically taken to the last post you read on a thread.
    Always learning.
    Only thing I don't like is not knowing if anyone has read my post .. did I waste my time doing a product review ?.Comments are listed but if you do a product review comments may not be necessary.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

?? I don't understand NSX, If you are signed in, you are automatically taken to the last post you read on a thread.

I meant that sometimes I'd like to pick and choose directly from the beginning. I often come back to threads I haven't read in quite a while and like to scan from maybe the 2nd or 3rd page up. There used to be a way of selecting that right from the base directory.

Again, it's a very minor quibble and certainly not a deal breaker.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Ah. I never used that. My only quibble is the lack of a 'like' button on the PAD.
    Always learning.