Nikon Canada Repair Review

BradD7200BradD7200 Posts: 15Member
edited January 2018 in Nikon Lenses
Came home from work a llittle today early due to the freezing rain and within 10 mins of arriving a box showed up from Purolator Courier. That was meant to be for sure, as I never ever come early from work for weather.

My long lost AF-S NIKKOR
80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR returned from repair. It was sent in from Kingston, Ontario on 17 Dec 2017 to Mississauga, Ontario. Glad it wasn't sent in in error, look at the list of repairs they did to the lense. Overall excellent job and they cleaned out every spot and speck of dust from inside the lense, very impressed with this. On top of that no-charge. Surprised at all the parts they replaced, not sure if this is a lense issue or just my copy. Total time from being sent in to receiving was 34 days not counting each day for sending both to and from. Also over the Christmas period they would have had some extra time off so not too bad down time.

General Check & Clean

Replaced the following parts:

(1) Lens barrel unit
(2) Rubber grip
(3) Bayonet mount
(4) VR unit

Reason for sending in lens was that I was not able to focus when lens Focus Limit Switch was in the ∞–6 m position: Photos were not sharp and out of focus. It worked fine in the Full position for subjects under 19.69 feet.

Only thing's that I would mention as a con was the log-in at the website never did work for me and I had no idea the repair was done as they didn't inform me of that. Neither are a real big issue but the log-in did cause me to call in and check on the status at one point.
Post edited by BradD7200 on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    That login system that Nikon Canada has is messed up. They started sending those notices out in about 2010 or 2011. I've sent in 2-3 things since then and it never worked. The last time I was in the repair depot in Richmond (BC), before they closed it in 2015, they told me the system for that was not even finished. Looks like it still isn't, gosh it's only been 8 years, how hard could it be?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    PB_PM said:

That login system that Nikon Canada has is messed up. They started sending those notices out in about 2010 or 2011. I've sent in 2-3 things since then and it never worked. The last time I was in the repair depot in Richmond (BC), before they closed it in 2015, they told me the system for that was not even finished. Looks like it still isn't, gosh it's only been 8 years, how hard could it be?

How hard? Almost impossible in Canada!

I spend lots of time in both Canada and the US. When it comes to anything “internet” Canada seems to have trouble: websites that don’t work, dead links, superseded pages that remain in sites, slow loading pages, poorly designed forms, fault intolerant forms, impossible to navigate sites, overall amateurishness of web design, "needless reinvention of the wheel" that is inefficient, expensive, incompetent, and just plain exasperating.

(Notice: there are many things Canada does better than the US including some very important “things”, so there is no need for Canadians to get defensive or for Americans to gloat over my observation)
    edited January 2018
    Must be an issue with your device, never have trouble reaching sites here on my 150mbs connection. Are you talking about government sites? If so, yeah well that's another story.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    The cost of the lens/camera doesn't seem to matter at all in terms of quality of service. Nikon repair centers only seem to care about NPS members, everyone else is just a bother that must be dealt with quickly.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    edited January 2018
    PB_PM said:

Must be an issue with your device, never have trouble reaching sites here on my 150mbs connection. Are you talking about government sites? If so, yeah well that's another story.

No, my comments about Canadian websites are a general impression over a number of years using various computers plus mobile devices on reasonably fast connections (50 mbs with low latency and LTE) primarily in New York and Toronto.

As for Nikon Canada, the two times I have dealt with them, they did excellent and thorough work (including a free sensor cleaning) in spite of being slow, disorganized, bungling the paperwork, and being very hard to communicate with.
    Post edited by HankB on