New Sigma 14-24 f2.8

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited February 2018 in Other Manufacturers
Interesting. Can't wait for the price and some reviews. One thing that confuses me though, what's all this about:

Sigma is now offering a new "Front Conversion Service":

"SIGMA is offering the new Front Conversion Service for the SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM | Art lens. With this service, SIGMA converts the petal-type hood of the lens to an exclusive round component that lacks a light-blocking function. The new front helps prevent the lens from interfering with other lenses or from casting a visible shadow during multi-camera work. This is a for-fee service performed exclusively by SIGMA. Use of the service has no impact on the validity of the product warranty.
Post edited by spraynpray on
Always learning.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2018
    Might want to change the thread title from 24-70 mm F2.8 to 14-24mm F2.8. ;)

Looks like Sigma is just about done refreshing it’s top tier glass. I wonder if this will trigger Nikon to refresh the 14-24mm? As for the front conversion, I’d rather be able to mount circular filters than remove the lens hood. Wide angels are know for flaring, so that will only make it worse. I wonder when one of these companies will be smart enough to add in a drop in filter slot, like telephoto lenses have?
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Thanks for thee heads up on the typo PB_PM. What confuses me is the wording:

"The new front helps prevent the lens from interfering with other lenses or from casting a visible shadow during multi-camera work."

What the heck are the talking about? Looks like Chinglish or Englinese to me?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2018
    The wording is a little odd, without a doubt. The pictures on the main blog show the lens with the built in hood and converted without it. I could see the hood being an issue in multi-camera setups (mounted close together on rigs), if used at 14mm. In which case the hoods of the lenses might show up in each other shots, and if not shadows from the hoods might, but then the lens body itself would still cast a shadow.

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Sigma-14-24mm-f2.8-Art-full-frame-lens.jpg

https://nikonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Sigma-14-24mm-f2.8-Art-lens.jpg
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.