Nikon P900 develops Cracks near tripod area .

Just checked base of my nikon p900 ,and found cracks near tripod socket.Quite a few users on other forums have reported the same and some have lost the camera because it dropped from the tripod .Camera is still under warranty .Lets see what happens tomorrow .

[img]http://i.imgur.com/9ouFJWs.jpg[/img]

Tagged:

Comments

• AbhinavAbhinav Posts: 40Member
    Update on Crack near tripod: Nikon India /Nikon trying to dodge the issue and not ready to accept the issue at all.Instead they blamed the photographer for using it wrong way and same is the reason for these cracks . In short :issue is not covered under warranty and you're liable to pay for the repairs.... That's 100 years of nikon for you.. Happy Shooting
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited September 2017
    Having sung the praises of the Nikon P900 for ages, I looked at the bottom of my P900 , Very rarely use a Tripod for this camera Not best pleased, anybody else got this problem?
    p900
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Most likely someone at the factory is over torquing the screws on the tripod socket, which would lead to this type of issue.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited July 2017
    They changed the position of the Tripod mount on the B700 it far more central. The P900 mount is offset so the mounting has more weight to carry on one side.

b700
    Post edited by paulr on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited July 2017
    There looks like distortion of the mouldings on the one above - sorry, but if I were given it to repair I would say it has been 'wiggled' back and forth while on the tripod. Of course, if the mount is actually not strong enough, that is bad design/materials.
    IMHO.

paulr said:

They changed the position of the Tripod mount on the B700 it far more central. The P900 mount is offset so the mounting has more weight to carry on one side.

b700

This is different and better. This is a one piece base where the tripod mount fits whereas the P900 has a join through the mount so it is bad design and you need to tear Nikon a new one for making such a P.O.S.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    I am waiting for a response from Nikon UK. Until I saw this discussion i did not notice the problem.Although the camera works perfectly it is now unsaleable If Nikon come up with usual " its been dropped" scenario, I will use `"duck-tape", and carry on as normal.
    I've been given a quote of Rs 2700 i.e U$D 41 by nikon india
    I've been given a quote of Rs 2700 i.e U$D 41 by nikon india
  • TK2TK2 Posts: 1Member
    Hi
    My P900 was 2 months old when it just fell off the tripod. I wasn't even near it or using it at the time. but when I saw the socket I mean four screws going in to a slither of plastic to support a camera that's a couple of grams short of a kilo Is beyond belief as well as having the mounting at one end.
    I live in the UK so i am using the sale of goods act. which says it is the retailer that has to put the matter right nothing to do with the manufacturer. Goods have to be fit for purpose" I used a major retailer to avoid buying a "grey import" so I am waiting for them to examine the damage and get back to me. I will let you know what they do and who they are soon as. meanwhile I'm trying to find as many people as i can with this problem. so if any one can point me in that direction please get in touch. thank you.

It's a genuine issue faced by almost all the P900 users who use tripod .
  • thehats00thehats00 Posts: 1Member
    I just turned mine in for repair at Best Buy USA, where I purchased it. I didn't purchase the Best Buy warranty, so was treated with disdain and told it would have to be repaired under the factory warranty... if it could be repaired. This is clearly an engineering flaw. I love the camera, but, without a tripod, telephoto is useless...
    Looks like people should be using an arca plate or universal arca L bracket on the P900 to spread the load a bit.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Manufacturing flaws really stink, I hope Nikon fixes this for you guys, but I highly doubt it.

Just to bring it up as an example, LG really messed up with the G5 and Nexus 5x. It took a class action lawsuit for them to refund us, and I really haven't been refunded yet, although it should be in the mail. The phone bricked itself on me twice under normal usage. Then the warranty was extended to 2.5 years from the normal 1 year warranty and it still wasn't enough.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Its clearly a fault I spoke to Nikon Uk and they did say we can repair it but did not say for free! So put some black Duck-Tape round the problem and the camera works fine The second hand value of the P900 is not worth the cost of the repair and whats to stop it happening again. Other wise love the camera and what it can do.
  • japacejrjapacejr Posts: 1Member
    Found this thread & site after my P900 cracked badly this weekend. I shoot birds a lot so my camera is on a tripod or monopod most of the time. I was really disappointed to see the plastic around the tripod mount almost ripped out. I purchased it about 18 months ago from Sams Club and I think that doubles the warranty. Will be checking on that this week. Before this I was very happy with the camera and the results I am getting with it.
  • steve73steve73 Posts: 1Member
    my p900 totally ripped itself off the tripod has left a big hole where it used to be ive tried uploading pics but im new to forums, im glad its not just me that its happened to, i just heard a bang in other room, fortunately tge camera still works after its fall, but still gutted its snapped what a bag of shit design
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    using a plate alone will not reduce the load BUT if you coat it with black "bathroom" silicone it will stick it whilst being removable should you want to sell the camera.
    Used this stuff many times on camera plates to stop them rotating
    I'm not sure about the effect of acetic acid on the body of the camera. I use a piece of the thin synthetic sheet you can get to help people with dry skin get lids off jars. I cut it out and trap it between the L bracket and the body.

I don't think the poster used a bracket though, it is just the original fitting that came adrift as usual. I can't help but wonder if people are aligning the camera with their subject without fully loosening the ball head?
    Always learning.
    no problem with the black acetic acid seal ..it all evaporates ..does not attack the plastic and you can in the end roll it off with a course cloth. You would need to twist the plate sideways to get it to release..used it for 30 years on cameras
    Interesting...
    Always learning.
    If I had one of these I would get a 60mm Arca Swiss plate and stick it on with the black silicone. Leave a couple of days . You will find you can take the screw out and it wont move so just put the screw back and tighten lightly ...If you can hang a film hassleblad on a small manfrotto plate without the screw then you will have no problem. When you sell you will need to grab the plate with some pliers and twist it off sideways .Then rub any silicone on the camera off .