Micro Nikkor 105mm collar

zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
I want to shoot on a tripod with my Micro Nikkor 105mm lens, but its pretty heavy to mount it on the tripod using the camera's base screw. Is there a collar i can use to balance the weight better?

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Yeah, that sucker is heavy. I don't really have any suggestions for you.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Since the lens isn't designed to have a collar, there is nothing to attach one to. Never seen any third party solutions either.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
    Yes you probably are correct... so i guess the only way is to make my own custom holding solution.
  • NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    Best solution I have found is to use a long (10cm ) arca swiss type plate on the camera, and position it in line with lens. The Tripod can then be attached at the balance point, along the line of the lens. This balances the camera and lens on the tripod. The plate has to be screwed down tight with a screwdriver as the rotational leverage force is considerable, but it works pretty well.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That would make it all easier to handle, but does nothing for the force on the tripod mount so care is needed.
    Always learning.
    What im afraid of, is the fact that the lens's weight, will still be hanging on top of any long plate. With these solutions, the lens will not be supported and will always be as if its floating on thin air without any support!
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I thought i seen a product recently that would be great. A quick google search for video head lens support came up with this: Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release
    I don't see how this solution can be of help!
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    zoran said:

Did you look at it? It supports the front end of the lens as well as the camera, and the connection point to the tripod is in between. That will help with your balance issue.
    edited March 2018
    I don’t know if that will work with a lens as small as the 105 micro, have you used it that way? Just wondering, since it’s designed for larger telephoto lenses if I’m not mistaken. Being stuck using Manffroto plates is kind of a turn off anyway.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    mhedges said:

zoran said:

Did you look at it? It supports the front end of the lens as well as the camera, and the connection point to the tripod is in between. That will help with your balance issue.
    Im sorry mhedges, i clicked on the link created on the Manfrotto word and it took me to some other place. Yes you are absolutely right, i think it's a great solution!!!

Vipmediastar_JZ thank you so much!!!!! :)

• albingraphalbingraph Posts: 2Member
    How works the lens aperture? When I want to open to 2.8 at 3.2 stops. Sometimes I can open to 2.8 but I don't really understand. It is defected?
    At close focusing distances, under .5m the lens will not operate at f2.8, its completely normal.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    My 200 f/4.0 does that too. I think that if you are focussing at macro distances you would not want to be wide open.
  • albingraphalbingraph Posts: 2Member
    Strange but accepted. By the way on 3m focusing distance I already have f2.8.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I had this same problem with my Tam 100-400 .I was not going to pay £130 for a genuine collar . So what I would do is measure the diameter of the lens barrel at a point the collar might fit and then put "Tripod collar " into ebay and you will come up with loads of collars . All have the diameter they will clamp to in the specification and they are real cheap less than $20. Maybe some gun wrap on the barrel would help or some protective tape . I don't think its a big problem.

Strange but accepted. By the way on 3m focusing distance I already have f2.8.

Not strange, all the macros lenses do this. As the lens focuses closer the aperture gets smaller due to the shift of the lenses focusing elements, it’s simply a matter of physics. It really happens to all lenses, but the change isn’t significant enough for non-macro lenses for it to be shown on the camera.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2019
    If you PM me the diameter you need ( or put it on the forum ) I will look for a collar for you .Just behind the focus ring would be best . You need a Vernier calliper as it must be accurate or someone who has the lens and a calliper post the figure
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Look at RRS Y-Support CB-YS with a small rail may work for you. Some mods probable will need to be done.