Backpack or bag recommendations?

mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
My old Tenba backpack is getting too small so I need something bigger. I need to hold:

DX SLR
10-20mm zoom
35mm 1.8
16-80 zoom
70-300 zoom
SB-600 or similar
Assorted odds and ends
Also would like water bottle and tripod holder on the outside

I’m thinking backpack because totally hands free carry is a definite plus for the urban exploration photography I do. But I would consider a bag if there’s a good reason.

Comments

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    edited April 2018
    I have never had a Tenba but hear they are good. I use Think Tank and like them. I have out grown mine also. I like the back pack to get form place to place but belt system to work out of it.
    Post edited by retread on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    A lot of camera bag makers have an online configurator. LowePro for one has one, go take it out for a spin.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited April 2018
    I use both Lowepro and F- Stop backpacks, I find the low weight of the F-Stop and rear entry a big advantage in view that I carry heavy equipment in the backpacks The F-stop also has water and tripod facilities.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Thanks, all.

I'm leaning to the Tenba Solstice. I like how you can get full access to the contents without taking it off. That's a big plus since I don't want to set my bag down on the ground in lots of the places I go.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Good point. I have a messenger type bag which I like for that reason too.
    Always learning.
    paulr said:

I use both Lowepro and F- Stop backpacks, I find the low weight of the F-Stop and rear entry a big advantage in view that I carry heavy equipment in the backpacks The F-stop also has water and tripod facilities.

Which F-Stop do you have? Can you access it without taking it off?
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited April 2018
    Mhedges This one
    F-Stop Loka UL Black / Malibu Blue

The F-Stop Loka UL Black / Malibu Blue has been developed for the active photographer who is looking for a simple and lightweight support solution. The backpack has a full-size suspension system and an internal frame and weighs only 1.2 kg. The Loka UL provides access to your equipment from the top and back, making it ideal for adventures for which only the essential and a camera are needed.

You have to take it off but access to equipment is from the backside so it you do not get wet when re carrying it.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Here are some other options for rear access:
    Lowepro ProTactic 350
    Mindshift BackLight 26
    @sport Thanks I’ll check them out.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    I just bought and it's being shipped today as I write this, a Lowepro Flipside 400 AWii. I like the security of the flipside personally.
    Hiker said:

I just bought and it's being shipped today as I write this, a Lowepro Flipside 400 AWii. I like the security of the flipside personally.

Thanks - I'll add it to the list. Let me know what you think of it when you get it.
    mhedges said:

Hiker said:

Thanks - I'll add it to the list. Let me know what you think of it when you get it.
    It arrives Friday. I'll play with it over the weekend. My Lowepro Flipside 200, which did me well during my South America Trip is just to small to fit all the equipment I've bought over the past 2 years. I like the fact that I don't have to take the backpack off to access my camera, etc. And while traveling the zipper side is on your back, so anyone trying to get into it will have a difficult time at best at getting into and stealing your prized equipment.
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    I use the mind shift pro 180; has rear access, hydration and tripod attachments. Rotation pack holds my lenses and I use think tank camera strap attached to the shoulder pads to hold my camera. Makes for easy lense change out. But this is for hiking, when transporting I use the think tank roller derby.
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
    My bag arrived from B & H yesterday. It is big enough for all my equipment needs just by looking at it.
    Hiker said:

My bag arrived from B & H yesterday. It is big enough for all my equipment needs just by looking at it.

Can you give me some kind of idea of how much it will fit? Should it be able to fit all of the stuff I listed in my first post?
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    edited April 2018
    I've got a Lowepro Flipside AW 500. It takes my D800 with 200-500 attached, 24-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.8, TC14, SB800 and batteries, 2 filters & memory cards. In the front I can take my iPad. Theoretically you can rotate it around your waist & then unload your gear, but I find it a bit of a faff.
    But a nice bag & cabin bag size - just :)
    Post edited by trolley on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @trolley, how is the space with the camera mounted to lens? Does it fill the entire middle space, or is there room to spare? I have been looking at the Flipside AW 500 MKII as a better solution for moving my big glass (200-400mm F4 VR), and I know it's not too much bigger length wise with the hood reversed. Sadly none of the stores around here stock the bag, and it has to be ordered.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Here's a side recommendation- my travel kit fits into an old Lowepro bag that also happens to fit inside a schoolbag. If you want to be particularly stealthy (of course it all falls apart if you're carrying your camera), you can try that if your kit is small enough.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    mhedges said:

Hiker said:

Can you give me some kind of idea of how much it will fit? Should it be able to fit all of the stuff I listed in my first post?
    My apologies. I haven't had the time to play with the pack yet. It will fit all my equipment just fine just looking at it. I just need to set it up now!!!
    I went with the Tenba Solstice 20. It arrived today. After putting my gear in my opinions are mixed. There’s not a whole lot more room than my old Tenba backpack. It is deeper and fortunately my DX AF-P 70-300 fits vertically (barely) otherwise there wouldn’t be room for it. I don’t see how anyone is getting six lenses plus DSLR in it, as Tenba claims. The depth leaves a lot of empty space above the camera and most of the lenses. Larger DX gear wouldn’t have this issue, of course.

Do you folks use lens bags inside backpacks like this, or just leave everything out?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have a small backpack which I carry only the gear I need in. If I am out after macro, just macro gear, if landscapes, only landscape gear.

My young clicking buddy has a massive backpack which he carries everything he owns in but then he is 40 years younger than me...
    Always learning.
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    I have a Clik Elite backpack and a Think Tank Retrospective bag. In the backpack I use a lens wrap for my 70-200 only. It helps to keep it from moving around. As for the amount of lenses, I have pared down my selection to just three. Also carry a speedlight and filter kit in the backpack.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    I'm in the same camp as spraynpray. I have a Lowepro Runner 200 AW. It holds either my D7200 or my D610 with the 24-85 attached, my 70-200 f4, a speedlight if needed or my 105 macro (or nothing in that slot to save weight), a memory card caddy, a couple of filters, a wireless remote, a lens and body cap, a spare camera battery and charger, nimh batteries for the flash, a few small first aid items, a small notebook and pen/pencil, and some stuff I'm sure I've forgotten.
    I'm guilty of carrying my whole setup. But it's a small DX body and small(ish) light lenses so it isn't too bad. If I had a bunch of pro lenses it would be different.

I took it out to one of my favorite spots at lunchtime today and it did pretty well. The rear access/workspace feature came in handy. I still wish it was laid out a little differently (wider and not as deep) but I'm pleased with it.
    I'm sending the Lowepro Flipside 400 aw ii back. It's just too big for my needs. And when I filled it with 90% of my equipment, I said NO WAY will I be able to carry this much kit around!!! When I was in Tempe Camera yesterday I tried out the smaller 300 AW ii. It's more practical in size and more suitable for my needs.