Battery drain D850

After not using my D850 for about two weeks, I took it out of the bag today. I checked the battery levels, as I always do, and something was off... It was at 80% for the and EN-EL18 and 80% for the EN-EL15...

I always charge my batteries when I come home from a shoot, and I also did that last time I was out. Hence, the batteries lost 20% power doing absolutely nothing.

Is this normal on the D850? It doesn't happen on my D810...

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Of course the first question must be what is switched on? Do you have it in airplane mode? Why don't you have EN-EL15a's by the way?
    Mine doesn't discharge.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    The D850 was not in AirPlane mode, I have never used it.

As for the EN-EL15 batteries, I have both the original and the "a" version. The originals I have are all from the N series, which were made after Nikon fixed the overheating issue.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Battery drain when not in use does feel a lot higher on the newer cameras than some of the older models. I always make sure WIFI, Bluetooth etc are turned off when not in use, since the camera will scan for available networks, and be seen by devices looking for networks. That process will cause power use, so that could be the cause. Also, if the camera is set to keep/sync time over a network, that might also cause a drain.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I have WiFi turned off all the time anyway, but I guess BlueTooth could affect the battery even when the camera is turned of. I'll try with Airplane Mode turned on, and see if the batteries still are drained...
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I have noticed that too. I just switched airplane mode on and will see if that makes a difference. Bluetooth and network was off.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    There are multiple reports of battery drain on the D850 fb group. I have experienced it myself as well.
    And these battery drains, were they due to the WiFi/Bluetooth settings? Sorry, I don't use FB that much myself...
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    Or you should take the battery out? I hear that it's not good leave the battery in there. if you won't be using it for a while
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,