D7100 v D7200

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited May 2018 in Gear Reviews
Cannot tell any difference between shots taken with the 200-500 on these two cameras. Clearly what you get is dependent on light direction . White Swans or dark Geese I see no difference. The 200-500 continues to outperform the old Tam 150-600. The keeper rate in technical terms rather than artistic is 90% +.The tamron was so soft it was virtually 100% fail
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I do sometimes wonder about the real-world differences versus the claimed improvements of products.
    Always learning.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Photography is marketing driven and people buy (a lot). Only the DX noise will not please me, if you are used to FX.

The difference between D7100 and D7200 is so marginal. I have the D7200 and IQ is often on par with my D600 !!

I'am off to Calumet now for my sensor cleanings, because it is real bad at the moment.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    I don't recall Nikon ever claiming any improvement in image quality between the two. It was the buffer that was the biggest change along with refinements.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I think there was a claim of less banding in the shadows of the D7200. I have the Tamron 150-600 G2. I get sharp shots with it. I have borrowed a 200-500 and found it to be sharp also.
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    Yeah, D7200 is better when boosting shadows. Also, a bit better DR at base ISO and slightly better low light/high ISO noise. Otherwise, pretty similar.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    The difference is noticeable if you shoot RAW and post process, or JPEGs of people. Since you do neither, you shouldn't find any ;)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    So detail in a bird is different from detail in a person ?? WTF
    Skin tones, as opposed to feather tones, in JPEGs, that's what I was referring to.
    edited May 2018
    The reason I stick to my trio of two D810 and a D800 for the weddings s is that they produce matching colours .I don't want to introduce something that produces different or better tones. Sounds sensible to keep the D7100 as a back up and use the D7200 for the service video.
    I thought the EXPEED3 equipped D800 rendered JPEGS just like the D7100 which uses the same processor, while the EXPEED4 equipped D810 renders like the D7200 which also has the EXPEED4 inside. I've not owned neither the D800 nor the D810, but I did own both the D7100 and the D7200 and their JPEGs definitively looked different color-wise, with the D7200 rendering colors closer to reality and without that green cast that all EXPEED3 bodies all share.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The D800 and D810 do have some colour differences, dpreview and other review sites pointed it out.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited May 2018
    Well I only use the D800 with the Samyang 14mm and I guess lenses can affect the colour but for practical purposes I see no difference nor do the punters so the trio works fine. As my time photographing weddings comes to an end (due to corruption in the hotels hosting the weddings ) I have no intention in changing now.
    I will try a D7100v 7200 colour test but at present the geese look the same with either camera !!
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    edited May 2018
    I use the D7200 and D500 together and like them both. I am sure there are some differences just like the D7100 and D7200 have some differences. I think as cameras get newer the differences get smaller. Sometimes I think I see them and sometimes not.
    Post edited by retread on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

Well I only use the D800 with the Samyang 14mm and I guess lenses can affect the colour but for practical purposes I see no difference nor do the punters so the trio works fine.

The difference is very small, from what I've seen, mostly in the greens as noted above. Wouldn't be too hard to fix in picture controls or post processing so it wouldn't matter much anyway. You'd likely have to be shooting with the same lens on two bodies to ever see it.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.