Dream lens not made

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    sport said:

snakebunk said:

Btw, I read that Sigma does not support the f mount for their new 70 mm macro lense. They had an explanation that I did not fully understand, but I think uncertainty about the future of the f mount may be part of it.

I read that to mean: "Our marketing team has determined that there will not be enough Nikon sales for this lens to support Nikon F mount."

That could be it, but I took it to mean more that they couldn't get the focus to work right considering it is an AF-P style lens.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My suspicions are that all the glass we finally see is carefully filtered through marketing to determine if it will be profitable. An interesting example of the "dream lens" is Sigma's 200-500/2.8. Of course the "dream" part is just that as it weighs 35 pounds and costs $25,000 USD. Wonder how many they actually sell?

If it were about five pound and $1000.... that is the real "dream".... also, this thread should be in the humor group...
    Msmoto, mod
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    I wonder how much Nikon's fresnel technology could eat into the 35 lb and $25k for a 200-500/2.8
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Might drop 5lbs and add $5k.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    In terms of a lens they don't already make, for me it has to be an equivalent of the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Lens.
    In terms of a lens they make, but could do with updating / extending - for me it has to be their 200mm f/4.0 macro from the nineties.
    It looks like Laowa may have identified this niche with their forthcoming 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro.
    Msmoto said:

it weighs 35 pounds and costs $25,000 USD.

Doesn't that fall under the category "nightmare"? :-)

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    x2 for the 200 f4 micro upgrade. I would like a tilt-shift between 14-16mm FX.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I only felt an upgrade for my 200 f/4.0 macro was important when it would not work with my D850’s focus shift feature.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited May 2018
    A few years ago when this same question was asked on this forum.. I had several lenses .. Now they have been made (close to my wishes) and i have some of them .. :-)

Unfortunately i am now content ;-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I would like a tilt-shift between 14-16mm FX.

May I add - one that fits all camera bodies without fouling or restricting functionality.

A few years ago when this same question was asked on this forum.. I had several lenses .. Now they have been made (close to my wishes) and i have some of them .. :-)

CONTENT Hearty? You're on the wrong forum. :-)
    Always learning.
    After thinking about this, it is an E upgrade for the 200 2.0, a 28mm PC that is good as the new 19 (I would dump the 24 and buy both of these) and a new 200 PLUS macro.

Whups, forgot a 50 as sharp as the new 105.

Then I am happy. Well....until they bring something out that I have not thought of......
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    I thought it would have been cool if Nikon made a trinity of 'enthusiast' zooms for DX, to fill the gap between the consumer lenses and the pro lenses and compliment the 16-80. Something like:

8-16 f/2.8-4
    16-80 f/2.8-4
    80-300 f/2.8-4

Maybe f/2.8-4 is a bit ambitious for the wide and tele, but you get the idea.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
    Well they do make the 16-80 2.8-4. I have one and quite like it.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member

CONTENT Hearty? You're on the wrong forum. :-)
    LOL ... part of the reason I have not been posting much ...

mhedges said:

Well they do make the 16-80 2.8-4. I have one and quite like it.

Yeah I pick one of those up too recently..

Like I said .. contented...

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited May 2018
    I sold the 16-80 when I sold my D7100. Thinking back, I never really gave it the credit it deserved for being so good especially when you consider the D7100 has a higher pixel density than the D850.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Like I said I’m happy with mine. It gives pixel peeping sharpness. But to be fair so did the much cheaper kit lens in a lot of situations
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited June 2018
    Another dream lens would be a zoom micro Nikkor. Thom Hogan reviewed the 70-180 Macro and it seems like a very cool lens.

Has anyone ever used it?

http://www.bythom.com/70180Macrolens.htm

I've definitely encountered situations where I wish I could zoom out/in for a subject.

My only issue is that any new version of this lens is going to be made of unobtanium and have a fresnel element and cost an arm, leg and your first born child.

And yes, an update of the 200mm F4 is definitely more than due, especially with the high MP bodies that Nikon has come up with recently.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I too would love an updated 200 f4 micro but the cost implications make me do without and so am considering the 105 f2.8 VR. Funny how the likely reduced cost to manufacture (I bet this is the case) doesn't result in a cheaper lens (to us)...
    Always learning.
    My current 200 mm f/4.0 macro is sharp enough on my D850. Sharpness is not an issue. The only issue that will be relavent to a macro shooter that is not a gear head is that you can not use the D850’s focus shift feature with it.
    That doesn't bother me Westie, it is only sharpness and AF speed that does as my subjects (mainly butterflies) all move in the wind (even on windless days their wings are on the go) and I have no chance of using a tripod for them let alone focus shift.
    Always learning.
    AF speed might be an issue, that is true. But even in that situation I have obtained good results.
    Good to know.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    With macro, AF speed really isn't an issue, you're likely going to manual focus anyway, I already do with my 105mm. But it's great just to use AF-S to get closer to where you want to focus and manual focus the rest of the way.

Plus, faster AF means you could potentially use it for non-macro use.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited June 2018
    No chance of that NSX! The depth of field I work with is typically 0.5mm (20 thou in old money). and with the wind blowing them around more than that, you need super-fast, accurate AF. The D850 has improved my keeper rate there, although FX means shallower DoF than DX so life's a b*tch! Go to DX crop and get less pixels than the D71/7200? That's no good either.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.