Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    That’s my plan. Not that I have a lot of choice anyway since I already have pretty much all the DX lenses I consider worth having.
  • cukoodukoocukoodukoo Posts: 4Member
    I have an aging D90 and have been wanting to foray into the FX segment for quite a while. Over the years I have gathered decent FX glass[ 16-85Dx,50/1.8D,105 macro,70-200 VR] .I am a hobbyist and enjoy landscapes ,city and Family pics during vacations. I was planning to buy a 24-70 Nikkor for an upcoming trip but realized that it wouldn't work with my D90.

I am now in a pickle as it seems to be a bad time to upgrade a camera unless some one wants a 850.I feel that I neither have the skill nor the use of a 45 MP pro camera. I was waiting fora D750 upgrade but here we are.I briefly considered the D500[love the features esp the autofocus system,I have shot so many pics with bad focus on mt D90 espeically moving pics],but with 90% of my glass being Fx, Its a tough call. I was wondering if it makes any sense to grab the ongoing deal on D750 or should I just go for the D500 for its autofocus.
    There also the D7200. I’m pretty happy with mine. Much cheaper unless you really need the D500’s speed.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited June 2018
    If you're looking to upgrade, I suspect there are a couple of options. As @mhedges points out, you could stick with DX and opt for a D7200. They are extremely competent cameras and FX glass works just fine on them. I have one and mostly use it for macro, wildlife, and motor-racing with a 105/2.8 and a 200-500/5.6.

Personally, I've been tempted by the fire-sale deals on D750s. I have a D610 that I use for landscapes, limited event photography, and even more limited portrait work - usually with a 24-85VR and a 70-200 f4. It takes great (to me) images even with the 24-85 VR. My only gripe is the low light AF leaves a bit to be desired.

The word is the D750 is due a replacement, but you can buy one for $1500 with a battery grip and, I suspect, there is no way you'll be able to touch the next generation for anywhere near that. I'd love a D850, but I don't think my images would look any better at 47MP than they do at 24. As a passionate amateur/hobbyist, I'd add some more good glass to a D7200 or a D750 and be a happy camper.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on

The word is the D750 is due a replacement, but you can buy one for $1500 with a battery grip and, I suspect, there is no way you'll be able to touch the next generation for anywhere near that..

That's my exact reasoning too.Even if a 760 was released tomorrow, I would be hesitant to be the first batch guinea pig ,plus it would cost quite a bit more than the 750 today.

I am more worried about the AF system on the DF 750 as I would hate to miss a nice moment because the AF system on my camera isn't upto it. I am still a a novice at getting the most out of a camera ,so i hope that the newer AF system in the D750 or the D500[much improved AF system] would help me out.
    I think the AF system on the D750 is pretty good in general. Only gripe is that there are no AF points anywhere near the edge of the image.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I really rated my D750. However, I know the AF - although better than the D610 - is not in the same galaxy as my D850. If you are really into AF *and need it for your genres*, life is about to get expensive if you want full frame. The D500 is a bargain if you need the AF.
    Always learning.

I really rated my D750. However, I know the AF - although better than the D610 - is not in the same galaxy as my D850. If you are really into AF *and need it for your genres*, life is about to get expensive if you want full frame. The D500 is a bargain if you need the AF.

I am fortunately in a position that I can absorb the cost well but after the initial enthusiasm decided against the D850.

1. My photography skills aren't anywhere close to be weilding a pro camera.I would rather spend more time and effort in improving my skill.
    2. A 45 mp camera and the file sizes that comes out of such a product are going to be overkill for my needs

I actually still have an order on a 850 . Doubt it will stay that way too long.I just don't think I have earned the right to own such a great Camera .

Would it be a waste to use FX lens on a DX body like the D500. Between D500 with FX lens VS ( nearing retirement)D750 at a discount to go with FX lens.

The other thing that bothers me is the build quality on the 750 with the recalls etc. Don't know if the 500 had any issues yet. I played with both in a Store and could appreciate the better quality of construction on the D500

• sportsport Posts: 120Member
    We are in this weird no mans land with Nikon right now. There is one current generation camera (d850) and everything else is due for an upgrade. I would say go for the D850 if you can afford it. The image quality is going to force you to up your skills.

As much as I love my D750 it's getting harder everyday to recommend it.
    sport said:

We are in this weird no mans land with Nikon right now. There is one current generation camera (d850) and everything else is due for an upgrade. I would say go for the D850 if you can afford it. The image quality is going to force you to up your skills.

As much as I love my D750 it's getting harder everyday to recommend it.

How do you work around those massive files from a 45 MP camera?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There is nothing special about larger files, you just need larger storage drives and more RAM to handle them quickly, either that or a little bit of patience. People said the same thing when the D3x (24MP) came out, and D800 came out in 2012. In my experience the load and editing time diffences between larger file sizes is negligible for anyone with a semi-modern computer (anything quad core from 2011 or newer).
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I doubled the RAM in my pc and carried on.

There is a load of cobblers talked about lenses too which it seems Nikon is happy to perpetuate because it leads to more high-end lens sales and that is that you need better lenses for the D850. My D7100 was more of a test for lenses than the D850.
    Always learning.
    As PB_PM stated more memory. A move to the D850 is more than just the camera. You will have to look at all parts of your photo setup. It's the natural progression in the tech industry.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Hi Guys,
    has anyone experienced any problems with their D750 viewfinder display after updating to the latest firmware?

I updated mine from v1.12 to v1.15 (the current latest) tonight and after the update, in manual mode with Auto ISO active the Exposure meter display disappears from the bottom of the viewfinder display.
    Seems kind of random and moving to another composition (with a different exposure level) it re-appears only to disappear again when returning to the original subject!

The rest of the info is still there (ISO/AUTO flashes as normal), just no exposure meter in the middle!
    Also, no problem with auto iso switched off!

After downgrading to v1.13 everything returned to normal.. very strange..

Cheers,
    Baldy. :)
    Unless you are fixing the specific issues outlined in the new firmware version I would not recommend updating your camera. Here is what they fixed in 1.15:

- Fixed an issue that resulted in over-application of distortion control in pictures taken with an AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR lens at a focal length of 10 mm and with FX (36x24) 1.0x selected for Image area > Choose image area, Off selected for Image area > Auto DX crop, and On selected for Auto distortion control in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU.

- Fixed an issue that resulted in photos shot with non-CPU lenses being overexposed when taken by pressing the shutter-release button all the way down in a single motion under the following conditions: the standby timer off, On selected for Custom Setting c1 (Shutter-release button AE-L) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, and lens information specified using the Non-CPU lens data option in the SETUP MENU.
    Hi Sport,
    Thanks for your answer, however, the question is not whether or not to update firmware, rather whether anyone else has experienced similar issues with v 1.15..
    Cheers,
    Baldy ;-)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Still running 1.12 haven't found a reason to update, cannot say more.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I did not think you could upgrade in reverse ..you are saying 1.12 to 1.15 and back to 1.13..??

I did not think you could upgrade in reverse ..you are saying 1.12 to 1.15 and back to 1.13..??

Yep, exactly that.. (I also wasn't sure downgrading would work, as I've never had to do it before, but thought it was worth a try.. the disappearing exposure meter was quite annoying)..

I'm still not sure if this was a one-time glitch, whether my camera has a problem or the firmware really has a bug.. would be really nice to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)
    I didn't think it was even possible to downgrade. i thought it said as much on the website.

Sorry not to have an answer for you Baldy.
    Always learning.
    I've opened a ticket with Nikon support.. I'll report back what they say..

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)

I've opened a ticket with Nikon support.. I'll report back what they say..

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)

That would be useful, thanks.
    Always learning.
    I don't think 1.5 was installed properly hence it would let you re install 1.3. that would account for the flashing display.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I had a instance with a D500 updating firmware that the Nikon website said to install it twice. I think I was skipping over an update. I did that and all was fine. Could that have been your situation?
    You are right retread the updates have to be done sequentially ...