Nikon 24-70mm or Tamron 15-30mm or Nikon 14-24mm

2»

Comments

• JohnEJohnE Posts: 4Member
    I don't know if this is still an active thread, but my 2¢ is that I love the Tamron 15-30. I use it as a go to lens on my D850 and could not ask for better performance.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @JohnE: Welcome to NR, your input on this thread is welcome. Can you put some of your best examples of images from the 15-30 here or on the P-A-D thread so we can see them?
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    24-120 is a bad lens and 24 mm is not very wide.
    Applying a 1.5 crop factor to the aperture is total rubbish an f4 lens is always F4 whatever sensor it sits in front of BUT the depth of field does increase by 1.5 IF you have framed the same shot ..ie you will be further away on DX and hence get more depth of field. If a DX and FX camera are at the same distance from an object,with the same lens you will have the same depth of field on both but a differently framed picture
  • SandWyrmSandWyrm Posts: 10Member

i think the 24-120 would be a good fit for you ..

I bought my D750 in the kit with the 24-120mm zoom. I like the zoom range, but the lens is pretty soft, and so I’ve never used it much. The difference in clarity between it and my Tamron/Nikon f2.8 trinity zooms is pretty startling. It just can’t hold a candle to them.

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited August 2018
    SandWyrm said:

i think the 24-120 would be a good fit for you ..

I bought my D750 in the kit with the 24-120mm zoom. I like the zoom range, but the lens is pretty soft, and so I’ve never used it much. The difference in clarity between it and my Tamron/Nikon f2.8 trinity zooms is pretty startling. It just can’t hold a candle to them.

Interesting. I thought the new 24-120 was considered pretty decent. I know the older one is one of Nikon's worst lenses ever.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • SandWyrmSandWyrm Posts: 10Member

@JohnE: Welcome to NR, your input on this thread is welcome. Can you put some of your best examples of images from the 15-30 here or on the P-A-D thread so we can see them?

Here are some examples of my own using the Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 on my Nikon D850.

First at 15mm (1/200 sec, f/11, ISO 80): https://adobe.ly/2PszChd

And at 30mm(1/200 sec, f/11, ISO 125): https://adobe.ly/2nZ7sh7

The lens does better at not distorting straight vertical lines in architecture than the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, but does so by really squashing details, like the guy's head on the left in this pic: https://adobe.ly/2By53ni.

To be frank, I kind of regret getting this lens, since I almost never go wider than 24mm, which the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 handles just fine, and the squash distortion at 15-20mm bothers me. For the subjects I typically shoot, my Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8, and Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 are my "trinity" of choice.