Connecting Nikon 1 J5 to well, ANYTHING!

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited August 2018 in Nikon 1
Hi Guys,

I thought I would try the WMU app to connect my Android to my Nikon 1. I thought it was going to be easy...

First thing I did was install the WMU app then found the J5 on the available networks on the phone and connected to that, then tried the connect to smartphone on the J5's menu. It just says 'Waiting for wi-fi connection' but doesn't find my phone.

What is the secret that this old dinosaur doesn't know?

Thanks for any help.
Post edited by spraynpray on
Always learning.
Tagged:

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Not sure this will help but when I would connect my iphone to my 5500 via WMU all I would do on the camera is turn Wifi on. Then I would connect my phone to that network and open the WMU app, and it would come up.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have to turn on the camera to get the wifi going so the phone can see it, then when it has established itself it appears on the phones network list and I can connect the phone to that. I then get a notification that the phone is connected but there is no internet which is fine. I then started WMU but the app says no phone connected and the back of the camera still says 'waiting for wifi connection'.

Argh.
    Always learning.
    How do you have the wifi configured on the camera? What are the security settings? I had mine as an unsecured network because it seemed easiest and I wasn't really concerned about someone trying to steal my pics during the very brief times I had the wifi turned on.
    I have mine open too - my thinking was the same.
    Always learning.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Just tested it with my D7200. It did not connect because I had my mobile data connection also on, when I switched that off, the connection with the WiFi Nikon_WU2_0090B..etc. was made, of course no internet. I have a Nokia 8 with Android 8.1 on it, the WMU application says Android 5.0 or higher, maybe that's the problem Andrew, so check your version.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    OK, I've found from Nikon Support that WMU was only developed as far as android 6 and my phone is android 8.
    Always learning.
    So Nikon has stopped supporting WMU? That sucks considering they still sell cameras that use it instead of Snapbridge.
    Yep. Thing is, although they have only just discontinued the Nikon 1, they stopped developing the app two android updates ago.
    Always learning.
    @Ton14: thanks.

I really only want to connect my camera to my PC wirelessly for file transfer. Does anybody know of an app that is compatible with the Nikon 1 J5 and Win 10?
    Always learning.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Not with Win10, looking for that too, but on your Android device install this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rupiapps.cameraconnectcast&hl=nl

Don't know if it works with the D850, works super with the my D7200 and my D600 - WU-1B combination. Next week I get the D810 and give that one a try.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited August 2018

OK, I've found from Nikon Support that WMU was only developed as far as android 6 and my phone is android 8.

Nikon replaced WMU with snapbidge, which sucks for any of us with “older” cameras (D750 for example) not just Nikon 1. I believe the third party app I’ve mentioned before works with DSLRs, not sure about Nikon 1 though.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    edited August 2018
    I had trouble connecting my D7200 to my iPhone while in my home office — that’s the room with two wifi routers plus a wifi TV access point. After much profanity, I went into the basement and then connected with no trouble. I repeated the experiment to rule out bad karma from all the swearing and concluded it was wifi interference.

While connected (in the basement) I reconfigured the camera via the iPhone to use a manual wifi channel. That fixed the problem!!!

I think I used channel 11. Unfortunately, I can’t confirm this if the channel I used as the camera has been reset to automatically select the channel (factory default), and I no longer have the original problem in the office. Regardless, you may have to experiment for your location. If in an office or apartment building, the wifi pollution can be terrible.

Hope this helps
    Post edited by HankB on
    OK, I've given up on the idea of transferring images to my Android, but I really would like to use my Win 10 PC. Possible?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I'll give it a go, thanks.
    Always learning.