Nikon - are you listening?

Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
edited September 2018 in General Discussions
To release a Battery Grip without a Portrait Button would be another absolutely ludicrous mistake, Please DO NOT DO THIS! you will have so many complaining, You will end up making another grip because of the mistake, Please question your design choices and understand the community and customers you are supplying too.
Post edited by spraynpray on

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Too late. The electrical contacts for such an adapter are missing.

I will keep an open mind about this as I am not sure it is a mistake. There is precedent for this with Nikon film cameras.
    This is one of the many ergonomic reasons that I believe the Z7 is a D750 equivalent, not a D850 equivalent.

Nikon is emphasizing size with this camera.

I predict that the Z8 will be the true D850 equivalent and will have options like a fully functional grip.

But it will not be small.
  • Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
    They deserve all the crap they are going to get, lost caring now
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I'm hoping they jump into this decade and use NFC for the battery grip controls. That way no contacts to mess with or covers to lose.

They deserve all the crap they are going to get, lost caring now

Than wait for a model that gives you what you want. It was only released a week ago. I am not freaking out because there is only one memory card slot. I will just wait for the model that does if I buy the Z.
    Actually, if what I predict and hope comes true (and perhaps it is a long shot), Nikon will have a square sensor and there will be no need for a grip with controls. Just flip a switch and move between landscape and portrait 36mm*24mm and 30mm*30mm square.

This is something that is impossible for a DSLR but possible with a mirrorless.

Actually, if what I predict and hope comes true (and perhaps it is a long shot), Nikon will have a square sensor and there will be no need for a grip with controls. Just flip a switch and move between landscape and portrait 36mm*24mm and 30mm*30mm square.

This is something that is impossible for a DSLR but possible with a mirrorless.

That would be cool but I'm not sure they could do that given the location of the electrical contacts. I wish they had actually placed the contacts inside the mount flange so nothing sticks out into the opening but I suppose there is some reason not to do it that way.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Look at the bony a9 battery grip. Th contacts are on the side of the part that goes into the battery slot.

Also the non official nikon Df battery grip has a usb cable to fire the shutter. The Z has the same port and a usb c port. It might work like that. Lets see what gets released.

Look at the bony a9 battery grip. Th contacts are on the side of the part that goes into the battery slot.

Also the non official nikon Df battery grip has a usb cable to fire the shutter. The Z has the same port and a usb c port. It might work like that. Lets see what gets released.

That's a possibility but its a bit of a low rent look for a first party grip.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I agree, this is strange. It's like selling a car without seats.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    snakebunk said:

I agree, this is strange. It's like selling a car without seats.

LOL....You so hit it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    mhedges said:

I'm hoping they jump into this decade and use NFC for the battery grip controls. That way no contacts to mess with or covers to lose.

So you want the battery life to be even worse? Using Bluetooth with NFC will do just that.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM said:

mhedges said:

So you want the battery life to be even worse? Using Bluetooth with NFC will do just that.
    No, power use is very minimal. I have a bluetooth keyboard case for my iPad and I charge it a couple times a year. And that's only because it doesn't have a battery indicator and I don't want it to run out.

As far as "even worse" - all Z7 hands on reports are that the battery life is very reasonable.