Tamron lenses and the Z6/Z7

I am told that Sigma lenses work fine but in my brief encounter with the Z7 my Tamron 100-400 (035) sent the camera into malfunction. The rep present did not expect it to work . The 14mm Samyang did the same.

Interested to know if anyone who actually gets a Z7 and has a Tamron can get it to work .

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I've heard some of the earlier Tamrons work.

You will probably have to update the firmware in the lens.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited October 2018
    If anyone hears that there is a firmware update let us all know.....not buying at present too many problems /banding/focus /price. Last upgrade 18th Sept not related to this issue.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    To be clear - the firmware update will have to come from Tamron. This is not Nikon's problem.
    edited October 2018
    clarity is my middle name.....
    edited October 2018
    Tamron amongst others have issued a statement re the problem and the angry photographer says its a hardware problem ..something to do with the pins but I don't quite follow that …
    I myself am not too bothered as I don't intend to buy but for the future would like to see this resolved.
    edited October 2018
    I'd be surprised if it really was a hardware problem. I would think that could create issues with Nikon lenses too.

It's pretty hard for me to take anything AP takes seriously. He's been relentless in hating on these cameras pretty much since they were announced. I mean, he hates on anything except his beloved Fuji's, but his hate for these is extra strong.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    mhedges said:

It's pretty hard for me to take anything AP takes seriously.

I can't watch that guy. His entire style just rubs me the wrong way.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I tested a sigma 50 mm art on my Z7 and it works perfectly. I'd try the 35 mm, but I don't need another 35 mm on the Z7.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    Searcy ..tend to agree he has gone a bit OTT and too much Fugi but its sad when the guy has to produce his wifes ashes and cremation certificate to defend against scumbags calling him a liar over his wifes cancer.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member

Searcy ..tend to agree he has gone a bit OTT and too much Fugi but its sad when the guy has to produce his wifes ashes and cremation certificate to defend against scumbags calling him a liar over his wifes cancer.

Yuck, I'm not aware of all that drama. I'm just talking about his reviews and demos. They all just come across as sort of snarky and condescending to me. The last one I watched was that creepy confusing video he did about "The Golden Hour Is Not So Golden". Seems more style over substance which is fine but Just not my style.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Typical YouTube non-sense, drama and controversy bring in the view counts and for them that is all that matters. Stopped watching most YouTube photographers for that very reason.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    PB_PM said:

Typical YouTube non-sense, drama and controversy bring in the view counts and for them that is all that matters. Stopped watching most YouTube photographers for that very reason.

Agreed- I only watch a few camera review channels and that's it. I used to watch Jared Polin, Matt Granger and Tony Northrup. They all speak in generic terms and have very strong opinions, like you said, drum up views. I really only watch DPReview because The Camera Store switched over to there.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited October 2018
    Yup, Chris and Jordan do a great job, guess that’s why they are good salesmen. I also like a few of the smaller channels, where the maker is more presenting in a simple way, and showmanship (smelling lenses anyone?) isn’t part of the process.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I don't mind Fro's silliness. People take this stuff way too seriously.
    I just cannot take anything Jared does seriously due to the silly nonsense. Beyond the nonsense he isn’t adding anything I couldn’t learn by reading a short one paragraph write up in most of his 10+ minute videos. My time is worth more than that, got better things to do.

Tony and his wife are just out to sell books and get video hits, most likely getting more money from that than they ever made as photographers. There is at the very least some useful content from time to time, but not often enough to follow them regularly. Matt G does an okay job, but again wastes so much time just to hit the 10 minute mark required to get good money on YouTube, just not enough value in watching. If someone cannot get to the point in a concise and useful way, I don’t have much use for their content.
    I will say that I found Tony’s D7200 video to be helpful. He shills affiliate links a bit much but still it helped familiarize me with the camera.