Nikons money saving gone mad

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited October 2018 in Fun & Weird
Just took delivery of a new D7200 ...no disk/flash cover ..OK I expected that but the manual ...WHAT....90 sheets of paper printed left and right and stapled down the middle ..no way can you fold it into a book...not bound on the edge like the old ones..you read pages 0-185 from the left and the rest from the right I think …..No put it back in the box for the resale and will read the one from my other 7200 which is bound in the old way … so sad.
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    That seems weird - where did you get it? Is is a US version or gray market?

I got mine from Adorama in early June and it has the proper manual. Not that I really use it - I usually just download the manual if I need to check something.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    @Pistnbroke - What do you mean by "disc?" The manual on a CD? I bought a D7200 refurb last in early 2017 and it did come with both a flash shoe cover and the manual on a CD.

As with @mhedges, where did you buy it?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Sounds like you got a camera that had been sold, returned and then resold.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    New from e infinity ..used them before ...no NXD disc/quick start guide ( my other 7200 did not have a disc either but a proper bound manual)….new camera shutter count zero battery at 10%. The box does not say HK, US, JP or E? . Says nothing so must be a special packaging for grey market . Maybe the packaging is different for the more conservative US market

New from e infinity ..used them before ...no NXD disc/quick start guide ( my other 7200 did not have a disc either but a proper bound manual)….new camera shutter count zero battery at 10%. The box does not say HK, US, JP or E? . Says nothing so must be a special packaging for grey market . Maybe the packaging is different for the more conservative US market

I'm thinking more that the seller removed the proper manual because it wasn't the correct language and put the printed one in instead.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My D850 had a pukka manual but no disc and that was grey.
    Always learning.
    edited October 2018
    Well it does not look like a photocopy of an opened out manual..in fact it cannot be because the front and back covers are one piece, Same with the pages..page 2 goes with page 342 etc .If you cut it down the middle with a guillotine you could bind the thing like a real manual...and it fits the space in the box.
    I was thinking it's a printout of a PDF version of the manual. Not a photocopy.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    If you got a screaming good deal on a new D7200 then likely you got ripped off by a reseller/gray market camera. Or it was a stolen piece of hardware.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited October 2018
    No No did not get a second hand rip off ...bought from them before ,they sold thousands of grey bodies..just a cost reduction gone a bit too far in my opinion because you will have great difficulty flicking the pages to read it.
    When I read some peoples responses I am glad they are not on a jury and I am the accused ! The expression "wrong end of the stick " comes to mind
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You never mentioned in the original post that it was grey market. For those of us who have never purchased a grey market body we have no idea how they come, so give us a little bit of a break. After all each market has different things in the box, so without knowing the intended original market the camera was meant for it would be impossible to know what should or should not have been in the box.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    The market does not matter ...a genuine Nikon book so badly (cheaply) put together you cannot fold the pages to read it or flick through ..no no Junk.
    A grey market product is usually one intended for say Japan sold in the UK ..the only difference is the marking on the panel on the box.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

The market does not matter ...a genuine Nikon book so badly (cheaply) put together you cannot fold the pages to read it or flick through ..no no Junk.
    A grey market product is usually one intended for say Japan sold in the UK ..the only difference is the marking on the panel on the box.

My grey D850 box label says 850-BK-KR and has an English only book in it.
    Always learning.
    Yeah there are definitely different manuals out there. Heck, my gray D5500 didn't come with a printed manual at all.