Flickr free- soon to be limited to 1000 photos

2»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited November 2018
    PB_PM said:

Apparently if you have more than 1000 images, but the ones beyond 1000 are marked as Creative Commons those images will not be removed. That may only apply to images already on Flickr though.

You might be right. I am undecided. For now I am using them and I have not lost any sleep because my 400 2.8 does not have a filter.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I made the switch to 500px years ago and I honestly didn't know that Flickr is still around. I had endless problems with them so I canceled my account back in 2014. I am not a paying member of 500px, but I can share my shots for free with the embed option. Glad I made the switch for sure.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    dissent said:

exit quote: “If you’re not paying for it, you’re not the customer, you’re the product being sold.”

And that is truly the case.

And sometimes you willingly pay to be the "product". Take the ancestry DNA testing racket. The cost to the "subject" (you) doesn't cover the cost of the test. The EULA lets the company sell your DNA information to whomever they wish.

Lets just ponder how your DNA information could be used against you. Your DNA is you from a biological standpoint and there are a lot of gene markers for genetic predisposition of diseases. And you just let your DNA information loose without any control what soever to find out you have Eastern European descendants? Seriously?

And folks willing sign up for and pay companies to do this to them. Its breathtaking and absolutely Orwellian.

Denver Shooter

dissent said:

exit quote: “If you’re not paying for it, you’re not the customer, you’re the product being sold.”

And that is truly the case.

And sometimes you willingly pay to be the "product". Take the ancestry DNA testing racket. The cost to the "subject" (you) doesn't cover the cost of the test. The EULA lets the company sell your DNA information to whomever they wish.

Lets just ponder how your DNA information could be used against you. Your DNA is you from a biological standpoint and there are a lot of gene markers for genetic predisposition of diseases. And you just let your DNA information loose without any control what soever to find out you have Eastern European descendants? Seriously?

And folks willing sign up for and pay companies to do this to them. Its breathtaking and absolutely Orwellian.

Denver Shooter
    But I confirmed that I can drink as much coffee as I want, so Starbucks benefits the most.
    LOLROF

Denver Shooter
    I hear you though. Just look to China if you want to imagine how it can all go wrong.
    All citizens of China will be fully monitored and ranked under the "Social Credit System" using observed behavior by 2020.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/04/24/china-assigns-every-citizen-a-social-credit-score-to-identify-who-is-and-isnt-trustworthy/

And don't think there aren't some other countries looking at how China did it and thinking how they could implement it.

Its way scary.

Denver Shooter
    If you want to see how that might look, there is an excellent Black Mirror episode on Netflix.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    kanuck said:

I made the switch to 500px years ago and I honestly didn't know that Flickr is still around. I had endless problems with them so I canceled my account back in 2014. I am not a paying member of 500px, but I can share my shots for free with the embed option. Glad I made the switch for sure.

Since 500px was purchased by a Chinese company I’ve stayed away from that service.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • dumerdumer Posts: 11Member
    Can't blame them if they some move to gain more profit. Operation cost must be spiking.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    So they pushed off the death of free accounts till March or something like that. I'd like to ask again, does anyone know if Instagram can host photos and links like we normally do on the forums, similarly to Flickr?

I'm looking for a free alternative to Flickr in order to continue posting to Nikon Rumors. Likely I'm not closing my account because there's a lot of photographers I like following on it, but considering the poor state of digital security on Flickr, I'm very hesitant to give them my credit card information.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    NSXTypeR said:

So they pushed off the death of free accounts till March or something like that. I'd like to ask again, does anyone know if Instagram can host photos and links like we normally do on the forums, similarly to Flickr?

I'm looking for a free alternative to Flickr in order to continue posting to Nikon Rumors. Likely I'm not closing my account because there's a lot of photographers I like following on it, but considering the poor state of digital security on Flickr, I'm very hesitant to give them my credit card information.

Well I don't think you have to directly give them your CC number. I remember using Paypal to pay for my account.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I broke down and bought the Pro upgrade as I intend to go well over a thousand photos this year. I made sure to give them a VISA and not a bank debit visa card. Visa will eat it easier than a bank will from what I've been led to believe.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    So... how much is the "pro" membership?
    Regular price is supposedly $50 but they had it for $30 for a while. Not sure if that promotion is still on or not.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I've done forgot. It's not much. Easy way to find out is click the go pro button. You can see options without buying.
    edited July 2019
    I didn't pay for Flickr, so I really have no idea if these problems are real or not. But if you're paying $50 a year for their services, it had better be perfect.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6189711186/flickr-users-furious-as-critical-issues-still-plague-the-platform-following-yahoo-transition

At this point they're just squandering whatever good will Flickr users have towards the company.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    So they announced another change of service and they claim they actually never deleted any photos as a result of this policy. Now free accounts will be limited to 50 non-public photos and will not be allowed to share any content tagged inappropriate for some audiences.

It's not clear to me if they are officially allowing unlimited "safe" public images on free accounts or not.
    If they’re using this tactic to make people decide to pay they certainly didn’t help. While it’s true my photos were never removed I don’t see the benefit of paying for the service.

Whatever good will has long eroded.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    NSXTypeR said:

If they’re using this tactic to make people decide to pay they certainly didn’t help. While it’s true my photos were never removed I don’t see the benefit of paying for the service.

Whatever good will has long eroded.

Agree with you....benefits vs. cost.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |